Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Changing The URL

Changing The URL

Kwaj

Is there anyway to force a change of URL in the web client?

For example - the address window reads http://aurl.com . Now I would like it
to change the URL name to, http://anotherURL.com .

I don't want it to switch to another page - I would just like to conceal the
server. Can this be done.

- Kwaj

Mark Parnell

Previously in alt.html, Kwaj <(E-Mail Removed)>
said:

> Is there anyway to force a change of URL in the web client?

You can't force anything on the web. There are several ways of telling
the browser to forward to another page, but the answer depends on what
you are trying to do.

> I don't want it to switch to another page - I would just like to conceal the
> server. Can this be done.

No, and just as well. Imagine the abuse this would lead to.

--
Mark Parnell
http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au

Leif K-Brooks

Kwaj wrote:
> For example - the address window reads http://aurl.com . Now I would like it
> to change the URL name to, http://anotherURL.com .
>
> I don't want it to switch to another page - I would just like to conceal the
> server.

For instance, http://phisher.biz/ could display as http://paypal.com/.
Great idea.

Fly Cooter

In article <43054a08$0$21076$(E-Mail Removed)>,

>Is there anyway to force a change of URL in the web client?
>
>For example - the address window reads http://aurl.com . Now I would like it
>to change the URL name to, http://anotherURL.com .
>
>I don't want it to switch to another page - I would just like to conceal the
>server. Can this be done.

It can be done but you need access to the domain you want to show. You can't
use just any domain you want. Try this link http://www.neaturl.com/ This is a
free domain forwarding service that lets you choose from a long list of
domains.

--
Fly Cooter
http://fly-cooter.tripod.com

Roy Schestowitz

Kwaj wrote:

> Is there anyway to force a change of URL in the web client?

Are you looking for some JavaScript that will change the contents of the
address bar? JS will not have the privileges to achieve this.

> For example - the address window reads http://aurl.com . Now I would like
> it to change the URL name to, http://anotherURL.com .

Without re-direction, you are simply asking the browser to fool the user.

> I don't want it to switch to another page - I would just like to conceal
> the server. Can this be done.
>
> - Kwaj

Why not conceal (hide) the address bar? Are you working on a browser for a
public terminal? A mediocre user will probably find a way to reveal the
address anyhow... so you have many workarounds to worry about.

Let's see if somebody else has an idea that will generalise to all Web
clients...

Roy

--
Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com

Roy Schestowitz

On Friday 19 August 2005 05:33, Fly Cooter wrote:

> In article <43054a08$0$21076$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> (E-Mail Removed) says...
>>

>>Is there anyway to force a change of URL in the web client?
>>
>>For example - the address window reads http://aurl.com . Now I would like
>>it to change the URL name to, http://anotherURL.com .
>>
>>I don't want it to switch to another page - I would just like to conceal
>>the server. Can this be done.

> It can be done but you need access to the domain you want to show. You
> can't
> use just any domain you want. Try this link http://www.neaturl.com/ This
> is a free domain forwarding service that lets you choose from a long list
> of domains.

Good point. When I set up fly.to/ and some of the other variants including
".to" around 1998 this seemed to have been transparent to the real site
location. Also, I know people whose dot com Web site is only a pointer to a
site hosted somewhere else (with a far less admirable address).

Having said all of this, there is not much /choice/. You are restricted to
use a domain (or subdomain or pointer) that is owned by yourself so only
/your/ address can be displayed in the address bar. For instance, re-direct
www.XXXXhiddenaddress.com to www.XXXXfakeaddress.com where
www.XXXXfakeaddress.com points to www.XXXXhiddenaddress.com.

Roy

--
Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com

Fly Cooter

In article <de43er$2k7f$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)
says...

>On Friday 19 August 2005 05:33, Fly Cooter wrote:
>
>> In article <43054a08$0$21076$(E-Mail Removed)>,
>> (E-Mail Removed) says...
>>>

>>>Is there anyway to force a change of URL in the web client?
>>>
>>>For example - the address window reads http://aurl.com . Now I would like
>>>it to change the URL name to, http://anotherURL.com .
>>>
>>>I don't want it to switch to another page - I would just like to conceal
>>>the server. Can this be done.

>> It can be done but you need access to the domain you want to show. You
>> can't
>> use just any domain you want. Try this link http://www.neaturl.com/ This
>> is a free domain forwarding service that lets you choose from a long list
>> of domains.

>Good point. When I set up fly.to/ and some of the other variants including
>".to" around 1998 this seemed to have been transparent to the real site
>location. Also, I know people whose dot com Web site is only a pointer to a
>site hosted somewhere else (with a far less admirable address).
>
>Having said all of this, there is not much /choice/. You are restricted to
>use a domain (or subdomain or pointer) that is owned by yourself so only
>/your/ address can be displayed in the address bar. For instance, re-direct
>www.XXXXhiddenaddress.com to www.XXXXfakeaddress.com where
>www.XXXXfakeaddress.com points to www.XXXXhiddenaddress.com.

NeatURL is only one of many free domain cloaking services on the web. Do a
Yahoo of Excite search on "free domain forwarding" (without the quotes) and
there are plenty more to be found.

--
Fly Cooter
http://fly-cooter.tripod.com

Roy Schestowitz

On Saturday 20 August 2005 06:58, Fly Cooter wrote:

> In article <de43er$2k7f$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)
> says...
>>
>>On Friday 19 August 2005 05:33, Fly Cooter wrote:
>>
>>> In article
>>> <43054a08$0$21076$(E-Mail Removed)>,
>>> (E-Mail Removed) says...

>>> It can be done but you need access to the domain you want to show. You
>>> can't
>>> use just any domain you want. Try this link http://www.neaturl.com/
>>> This is a free domain forwarding service that lets you choose from a
>>> long list of domains.

>>Good point. When I set up fly.to/ and some of the other variants including
>>".to" around 1998 this seemed to have been transparent to the real site
>>location. Also, I know people whose dot com Web site is only a pointer to
>>a site hosted somewhere else (with a far less admirable address).
>>
>>Having said all of this, there is not much /choice/. You are restricted to
>>use a domain (or subdomain or pointer) that is owned by yourself so only
>>/your/ address can be displayed in the address bar. For instance,
>>re-direct www.XXXXhiddenaddress.com to www.XXXXfakeaddress.com where
>>www.XXXXfakeaddress.com points to www.XXXXhiddenaddress.com.

> NeatURL is only one of many free domain cloaking services on the web. Do
> a Yahoo of Excite search on "free domain forwarding" (without the quotes)
> and there are plenty more to be found.

As yet, the OP hasn't said anything with regards to the purpose of this.
Surely it can deceive a few users, but it would not be a flexible case of
cloaking as you are restricted to choose one of just a certain set of
domains. It is probably better used for disguising long and ugly URL's
rather than frauds. Anybody with 10 bucks can afford to get a top-level
domain. Some ISP's give free Web space and I know professional hosts who
charge as little $20 per annum.

Roy

--
Roy S. Schestowitz $> unzip; ping; mount /usr; grep; umount& sleep
http://Schestowitz.com

Toby Inkster

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> Good point. When I set up fly.to/ and some of the other variants including
> ".to" around 1998 this seemed to have been transparent to the real site
> location.

Egads! That was you? I used to have a few of them, back in the day.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

Kwaj

"Roy Schestowitz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:de6jh2$1g95$(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Saturday 20 August 2005 06:58, Fly Cooter wrote:
>
>> In article <de43er$2k7f$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)
>> says...

>>>Good point. When I set up fly.to/ and some of the other variants
>>>including
>>>".to" around 1998 this seemed to have been transparent to the real site
>>>location. Also, I know people whose dot com Web site is only a pointer to
>>>a site hosted somewhere else (with a far less admirable address).
>>>
>>>Having said all of this, there is not much /choice/. You are restricted
>>>use a domain (or subdomain or pointer) that is owned by yourself so only
>>>/your/ address can be displayed in the address bar. For instance,
>>>re-direct www.XXXXhiddenaddress.com to www.XXXXfakeaddress.com where
>>>www.XXXXfakeaddress.com points to www.XXXXhiddenaddress.com.

>> NeatURL is only one of many free domain cloaking services on the web. Do
>> a Yahoo of Excite search on "free domain forwarding" (without the quotes)
>> and there are plenty more to be found.

> As yet, the OP hasn't said anything with regards to the purpose of this.
> Surely it can deceive a few users, but it would not be a flexible case of
> cloaking as you are restricted to choose one of just a certain set of
> domains. It is probably better used for disguising long and ugly URL's
> rather than frauds. Anybody with 10 bucks can afford to get a top-level
> domain. Some ISP's give free Web space and I know professional hosts who
> charge as little $20 per annum.

Basically I have my own URL and I have a blog hosted by modblogs. The
probably is, I would like to associate my blogname with my perosnal website.
All things being equal actually - I would host my blog on my domain but
modblogs doesn't allow me to do this. And I am not too keen on using movable
types.

So, I am not trying to deceive but rather tidy up the URL of a blog and
associate it with my name.

i.e.

http://mydomainname/myblog

as opposed to