Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > a:link etc

a:link etc

JohnW

What is a good source for learning the various states for CSS links?
(Is there a source listing of all CSS syntax?)

I have a number of books but nothing lists all choices. I have a site
where I'm having trouble defining the text style for various states
such as- a:link, a:hover, a:active. a:visited, a:vlink, a??

--
JohnW-Mpls

Greg N.

JohnW wrote

http://www.google.com/search?q=css+syntax
--
Gregor's Motorradreisen:
http://hothaus.de/greg-tour/

Safalra

JohnW wrote:
> What is a good source for learning the various states for CSS links?
> (Is there a source listing of all CSS syntax?)
> I have a number of books but nothing lists all choices.

Why are you using books when the specification is freely available
online? Here's the relevant part:

http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/select...pseudo-classes

--
Safalra (Stephen Morley)
http://www.safalra.com/hypertext/

Dylan Parry

Using a pointed stick and pebbles, Safalra scraped:

> Why are you using books when the specification is freely available
> online?

What's wrong with using books? You can't[1] hold the online
specifications in your hand, put it on your desk, read it in bed, read
it in the back of the car or on the train, and you certainly can't take
it to the bathroom with you.

______
[1] Unless you print them all off, of course.

--
Dylan Parry

middletree

Great CSS reference:

http://www.ilovejackdaniels.com/css/css-cheat-sheet/

"JohnW" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> What is a good source for learning the various states for CSS links?
> (Is there a source listing of all CSS syntax?)
>
> I have a number of books but nothing lists all choices. I have a site
> where I'm having trouble defining the text style for various states
> such as- a:link, a:hover, a:active. a:visited, a:vlink, a??
>
> --
> JohnW-Mpls

Edwin van der Vaart

Dylan Parry wrote:
> Using a pointed stick and pebbles, Safalra scraped:
>
>> Why are you using books when the specification is freely available
>> online?

> What's wrong with using books? You can't[1] hold the online
> specifications in your hand, put it on your desk, read it in bed, read
> it in the back of the car or on the train, and you certainly can't take
> it to the bathroom with you.
>
> ______
> [1] Unless you print them all off, of course.

Or using a notebook with wireless internet connection
--
Edwin van der Vaart

Safalra

Dylan Parry wrote:
> Using a pointed stick and pebbles, Safalra scraped:
> > Why are you using books when the specification is freely available
> > online?

> What's wrong with using books? You can't hold the online
> specifications in your hand, put it on your desk, read it in bed, read
> it in the back of the car or on the train, and you certainly can't take
> it to the bathroom with you.

I gave the wrong impression there - I'm a great fan of books, really,
and those are all good examples of why. (I'd further add that a book is
still readable when there's a powercut. Unless it's dark.) It just
seems strange looking something up in a book when you're already
sitting in front of the computer and have the specification available
online (or a local copy) where it can easily be searched.

--
Safalra (Stephen Morley)
http://www.safalra.com/hypertext/

Toby Inkster

JohnW wrote:

> I have a number of books but nothing lists all choices. I have a site
> where I'm having trouble defining the text style for various states
> such as- a:link, a:hover, a:active. a:visited, a:vlink, a??

Full list of link pseudo-classes is:

a:link
a:visited
a:hover
a:active
a:focus

a:vlink is bogus -- no such thing.

You can also combine them -- e.g.:

a:visited:hover
a:focus:hover

There's also the ":lang" selector for matching links in different
languages:

a:lang(en)
a:lang(fr-ca):hover

These mostly apply to things other than links too. You can select hovered
paragraphs like this:

p:hover

Reference: http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/selector....pseudo-classes

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, Edwin van der Vaart quothed:

> Dylan Parry wrote:
> > Using a pointed stick and pebbles, Safalra scraped:
> >
> >> Why are you using books when the specification is freely available
> >> online?

> > What's wrong with using books? You can't[1] hold the online
> > specifications in your hand, put it on your desk, read it in bed, read
> > it in the back of the car or on the train, and you certainly can't take
> > it to the bathroom with you.
> >
> > ______
> > [1] Unless you print them all off, of course.

> Or using a notebook with wireless internet connection

But then I wouldn't be able to see my wonderwurst.

--
Neredbojias

Edwin van der Vaart

Neredbojias wrote:
> With neither quill nor qualm, Edwin van der Vaart quothed:
>>Dylan Parry wrote:
>>>Using a pointed stick and pebbles, Safalra scraped:

>>>What's wrong with using books? You can't[1] hold the online
>>>specifications in your hand, put it on your desk, read it in bed, read
>>>it in the back of the car or on the train, and you certainly can't take
>>>it to the bathroom with you.
>>>______
>>>[1] Unless you print them all off, of course.

>>Or using a notebook with wireless internet connection

> But then I wouldn't be able to see my wonderwurst.

Wonderwurst
--
Edwin van der Vaart