Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > New Subdirectory

New Subdirectory

Luigi Donatello Asero

The pages describing Sweden which I have written in Italian are becoming
more and more.
Following previous advice which I had got in this NG I would like to move
all the Italian pages about Sweden except
https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/it/svezia.html into a subsubdirectory
which I might call "svezia" .
I wonder what it would be best to do with the old locations. Would it be
better to provide html links from the old pages to the new pages?
I cannot redirect all the pages with a server language because both html
pages and php pages would be involved.

--
Luigi Donatello (un italiano che vive in Svezia)

David Dorward

Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:

> I wonder what it would be best to do with the old locations. Would it be
> better to provide html links from the old pages to the new pages?

Issue 301 redirects.

> I cannot redirect all the pages with a server language because both html
> pages and php pages would be involved.

So? You should still be able to configure your server to redirect for
arbitrary URLs.

Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

Luigi Donatello Asero

"David Dorward" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelandet
news:ddn6i5$hed$1$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
>
> > I wonder what it would be best to do with the old locations. Would it be
> > better to provide html links from the old pages to the new pages?

> Issue 301 redirects.
>
> > I cannot redirect all the pages with a server language because both html
> > pages and php pages would be involved.

> So? You should still be able to configure your server to redirect for
> arbitrary URLs.

As I do not run a server myself I assume that you meant that I should ask my
webhost if they could do it so, didnīt you?

--
Luigi Donatello (un italiano che vive in Svezia)

David Dorward

Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:

>> So? You should still be able to configure your server to redirect for
>> arbitrary URLs.

> As I do not run a server myself I assume that you meant that I should ask
> my webhost if they could do it so, didnīt you?

Pretty poor hosting package if you don't have the facility to set up
redirects yourself.

Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

Luigi Donatello Asero

"Luigi Donatello Asero" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelandet
news:99FLe.31460$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "David Dorward" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelandet
> news:ddn6i5$hed$1$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
> >
> > > I wonder what it would be best to do with the old locations. Would it

be
> > > better to provide html links from the old pages to the new pages?

> > Issue 301 redirects.

Do you mean
"Redirect with htaccess"?

http://www.webconfs.com/how-to-redirect-a-webpage.php

--
Luigi Donatello (un italiano che vive in Svezia)

David Dorward

Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:

>>> Issue 301 redirects.

> Do you mean
> "Redirect with htaccess"?

Only in the sense that "Go to Dover" means "Get in a car. Drive to Dover".

Using .htaccess is one way to configure redirects that works for some
people, but I don't know how your server is set up, or what configuration
interfaces you are provided with.

Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

Luigi Donatello Asero

"David Dorward" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelandet
news:ddn8jl$clr$1$(E-Mail Removed)...

> > Do you mean
> > "Redirect with htaccess"?

> Only in the sense that "Go to Dover" means "Get in a car. Drive to Dover".
>
> Using .htaccess is one way to configure redirects that works for some
> people, but I don't know how your server is set up, or what configuration
> interfaces you are provided with.

Ok

--
Luigi Donatello (un italiano che vive in Svezia)