Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > full justification in text navigation header

full justification in text navigation header

gorf

I've been playing with this and I can't seem to get what I want without
using absolute positioning with tables and fixed font sizes.

I'd like to have a row of navigation elements that are fully justified
with even spacing between the elements...

[text longtext longertext longesttext]

The site's audience will be visually inclined so I'm not so much worried
about text readers, rather I want the page to load quickly and I want it
to work with a variety of browsers and size settings (Firefox ignores
fixed font size and I prefer relative anyway).

I also tried a CSS / unordered list solution and it looks fantastic
except that the last link isn't necessarily up against the right side
like I was hoping to do. It looks okay but the customer (my wife)
doesn't like it and I personally find the fully justified menu more
appealing visually.

Any suggestions on how to achieve this effect in Firefox/IE and
hopefully other browsers (Safari, Opera, Netscape) within 2 sizes of the
browser's "normal" text size?

Thanks!

--
gorf

Spartanicus

gorf <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I'd like to have a row of navigation elements that are fully justified
>with even spacing between the elements...
>
>[text longtext longertext longesttext]

Bad choice, on wider viewports the spaces become ridiculously large,
wrapping would be a problem on smaller viewports.

--
Spartanicus

gorf

gorf wrote:
<snip>

> I'd like to have a row of navigation elements that are fully justified
> with even spacing between the elements...
>
> [text longtext longertext longesttext]

<snip>

> Any suggestions on how to achieve this effect in Firefox/IE and
> hopefully other browsers (Safari, Opera, Netscape) within 2 sizes of the
> browser's "normal" text size?

Just thought I'd share, played around some more with the horizontal
unordered list and got what I wanted...

Special thanks to this guy's site for the original idea...
<http://www.builderau.com.au/program/web/0,39024632,20283056,00.htm>

I took that approach and then centered the entire list, makes the nav
elements perfectly spaced and centered such that the right element is
just as far from the right as the left is from the left side. Fantastic.

I can resize in IE and Firefox (only 1 size up from normal but that's
acceptable) and the page looks fine.

I'll check back in case anyone has anything extra to add... thanks in
advance for any ideas/tips/suggestions!

--
gorf

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, gorf quothed:

> ...It looks okay but the customer (my wife)
> doesn't like it and I personally find the fully justified menu more
> appealing visually.

Uh huh. A wise man does not disagree with the customer but a wiser man
avoids certain customers to begin with.

--
Neredbojias