Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Trouble with server-side includes

Reply
Thread Tools

Trouble with server-side includes

 
 
Roderic Potter
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-12-2005
Hi group, I am new here, I would appreciate any help:

I am a webmaster for an engineering society here in Ottawa, Canada.

Each month I create an HTML newsletter using Dreamweaver MX and save it as a
document. Then to send it out I use Outlook Express, create a new document
from HTML, point it at the newsletter, and the email appears wonderfully for
me to send out.

I have realized that I also put large chunks of the newsletter in various
locations on the website, i.e.. this story here, that story there etc.

So I would like to create the newsletter and other areas of the site from
server-side includes, which would preclude me from having duplicated code
everywhere.

This creates the problem that when I create the new document in Outlook
Express, it does not understand the server-side calls and presents me with a
blank page.

I ask these questions:
Should I be using a different piece of software to create the html email,
one that will understand server-side includes, and if so, which one?

I notice that when I am developing a document in Dreamweaver that has
server-side includes, the includes appear reasonably well in the preview
pane, and also when I use the preview in browser option. However if I save
the document and load it directly into IE, the server-side stuff does not
appear. I expect this is because I am simply running a stand-alone PC
without any web-server running locally. If this is the case, is there a way
I can perhaps emulate an Apache server on my machine without installing the
full server system?

It has been suggested that I could get around the problem with OE by
creating the original document with includes, drop it on my website at my
ISP, load it into IE, view source, and select all to capture an html
document that OE would understand for sending. But the question here is
whether the full source is viewable behind the scenes in IE, or will the
source just show the calls to the includes?

I hope someone can help me with this, I would appreciate it greatly!

cheers

Roderic Potter Rodders CAS ...motivation is keyT Building System Surveys
AutoCad System Design & Customization ( 613.266.2134 7 613.839.3226 8
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) * 155 Pineridge Rd. RR#3 Carp ON K0A 1L0


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Sid Ismail
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-12-2005
On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 14:38:36 -0400, "Roderic Potter" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

: I ask these questions:
: Should I be using a different piece of software to create the html email,
: one that will understand server-side includes, and if so, which one?


Create a website, and email them a URL. Easiest.

Sid


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Toby Inkster
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-13-2005
Roderic Potter wrote:

> This creates the problem that when I create the new document in Outlook
> Express, it does not understand the server-side calls and presents me with a
> blank page.


Of course it doesn't -- only the server understands them -- hence the
name: "server-side includes".

As Sid said, create the document and send them the URL -- perhaps with a
brief summary in the e-mail:

To: (E-Mail Removed)
From: (E-Mail Removed)lid
Subject: Weekly newsletter (13 Aug 2005)
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2005 07:41:28 +0000

In this issue:

* Civil engineers - boring or not?
http://ottawa-eng-soc.ca.invalid/nl/20050813#civil

* An interview with Ottawa University's Head of Engineering
http://ottawa-eng-soc.ca.invalid/nl/20050813#interview

* A review of the new book "How to Fix an Engine"
http://ottawa-eng-soc.ca.invalid/nl/20050813#review1

and many more reviews, articles and news items from around the
world.

Read the newsletter by visiting:
http://ottawa-eng-soc.ca.invalid/nl/20050813

--------
To unsubscribe, visit:
http://ottawa-eng-soc.ca.invalid/nl/(E-Mail Removed)

To see our archives of back issues, visit:
http://ottawa-eng-soc.ca.invalid/nl/index

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
Contact Me ~ http://tobyinkster.co.uk/contact

 
Reply With Quote
 
Roderic Potter
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-14-2005
Thanks for this Toby, you put in a lot of work and I appreciate it.

I knew some time ago that I could have adopted this approach, which is
without doubt much less complicated.

However it was decided that the formulation of an html newsletter that is
actually "pushed" to the membership is much more likely to result in the
recipient "reading" the material. I guess this is an arguable point.

Anyway I will continue to try to find a solution to the problem through
other means...

cheers to you and Sid

"Toby Inkster" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed). uk...
> Roderic Potter wrote:
>
>> This creates the problem that when I create the new document in Outlook
>> Express, it does not understand the server-side calls and presents me
>> with a
>> blank page.

>
> Of course it doesn't -- only the server understands them -- hence the
> name: "server-side includes".
>
> As Sid said, create the document and send them the URL -- perhaps with a
> brief summary in the e-mail:
>
> To: (E-Mail Removed)
> From: (E-Mail Removed)lid
> Subject: Weekly newsletter (13 Aug 2005)
> Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2005 07:41:28 +0000
>
> In this issue:
>
> * Civil engineers - boring or not?
> http://ottawa-eng-soc.ca.invalid/nl/20050813#civil
>
> * An interview with Ottawa University's Head of Engineering
> http://ottawa-eng-soc.ca.invalid/nl/20050813#interview
>
> * A review of the new book "How to Fix an Engine"
> http://ottawa-eng-soc.ca.invalid/nl/20050813#review1
>
> and many more reviews, articles and news items from around the
> world.
>
> Read the newsletter by visiting:
> http://ottawa-eng-soc.ca.invalid/nl/20050813
>
> --------
> To unsubscribe, visit:
> http://ottawa-eng-soc.ca.invalid/nl/(E-Mail Removed)
>
> To see our archives of back issues, visit:
> http://ottawa-eng-soc.ca.invalid/nl/index
>
> --
> Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
> Contact Me ~ http://tobyinkster.co.uk/contact
>




 
Reply With Quote
 
Andy Dingley
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-14-2005
On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 09:52:20 -0400, "Roderic Potter" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>However it was decided that the formulation of an html newsletter that is
>actually "pushed" to the membership is much more likely to result in the
>recipient "reading" the material. I guess this is an arguable point.


If you send out a HTML-only newsletter then we _will_ hunt you down and
kill you.

MIME email means that you can easily include the text-only version at
the same time.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Stan McCann
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-18-2005
"Roderic Potter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Thanks for this Toby, you put in a lot of work and I appreciate it.
>
> I knew some time ago that I could have adopted this approach, which
> is without doubt much less complicated.


And, IMO, more acceptable.

> However it was decided that the formulation of an html newsletter
> that is actually "pushed" to the membership is much more likely to
> result in the recipient "reading" the material. I guess this is an
> arguable point.


Very arguable. Since email works best with plain text (avoids HTML and
the possibility of running javascript or other scripting languages
without my permission or knowlege), I have my email program set to
never open an HTML email; they get deleted unread.

"Pushing" HTML in an email to some people simply results in an unread
deleted message.

> Anyway I will continue to try to find a solution to the problem
> through other means...


Maybe do your HTML newsletter on your website and send out plain text
versions in email. So, you don't have all of your formatting in an
email. I, for one, prefer it that way. Before denying HTML emails, it
was awful to open an email and see some of the colors, graphics, and
whatnot that people "think" is cool.

--
Stan McCann "Uncle Pirate" http://stanmccann.us/pirate.html
Webmaster/Computer Center Manager, NMSU at Alamogordo
http://alamo.nmsu.edu/ There are 10 kinds of people.
Those that understand binary and those that don't.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Neredbojias
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-19-2005
With neither quill nor qualm, Stan McCann quothed:

> Before denying HTML emails, it
> was awful to open an email and see some of the colors, graphics, and
> whatnot that people "think" is cool.


Yes. Some of the things people do in life are just horrible so I think
I'll commit suicide.

--
Neredbojias
Contrary to popular belief, it is believable.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Neredbojias
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-20-2005
With neither quill nor qualm, dorayme quothed:

> > From: Neredbojias <(E-Mail Removed)>
> >
> > Yes. Some of the things people do in life are just horrible so I think
> > I'll commit suicide.
> >

>
> Now don't you be doing this yet... you know there is some unfinished
> business still... that dance you have to have. Afterwards you will be a new
> man...
>
> dorayme


From the way you made it sound, I'd be a new woman.

--
Neredbojias
Contrary to popular belief, it is believable.
 
Reply With Quote
 
dorayme
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-20-2005
> From: Neredbojias <(E-Mail Removed)>
>
>> Now don't you be doing this yet... you know there is some unfinished
>> business still... that dance you have to have. Afterwards you will be a new
>> man...
>>
>> dorayme

>
> From the way you made it sound, I'd be a new woman.
>


No, you misunderstand for a simple reason. You need to see
the film and pay close attention. I am not making a sexual
or anatomical point here. I know this is hard for you with
your preoccupations to understand. But please try. I am
trying to help you out here.

dorayme

 
Reply With Quote
 
Neredbojias
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-20-2005
With neither quill nor qualm, dorayme quothed:

> > From: Neredbojias <(E-Mail Removed)>
> >
> >> Now don't you be doing this yet... you know there is some unfinished
> >> business still... that dance you have to have. Afterwards you will be a new
> >> man...
> >>
> >> dorayme

> >
> > From the way you made it sound, I'd be a new woman.
> >

>
> No, you misunderstand for a simple reason.


That's usually the case.

> You need to see the film and pay close attention.


It's hard to do 2 things at once.

> I am not making a sexual
> or anatomical point here.


Why not?

> I know this is hard for you with
> your preoccupations to understand.


When you've got it, flaunt it.

> But please try. I am
> trying to help you out here.


Out of what? When I was in Germany, they have these real skinny toilet
seats there and I fell in the crapper, but that was a long time ago.
Obviously I got out, and, as far as I know, nothing's come up since even
suggesting that I might need help out of it.

>
> dorayme
>
>


--
Neredbojias
Contrary to popular belief, it is believable.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
i have no trouble to send , ihave trouble reciving mail --any ideas John Penney Computer Support 4 08-29-2006 08:45 PM
WiFi Hotspot Directory now includes over 12,000 sites including Intl site! Riverwalk Mobile Wireless Networking 0 09-16-2004 02:45 PM
WEBBOT includes and .ASPX Tor Nordahl ASP .Net 0 11-04-2003 09:49 PM
includes in ASP .NET Geraldine ASP .Net 1 10-29-2003 02:06 PM
trouble with caching or caching the trouble Hypo ASP .Net 6 08-01-2003 07:11 AM



Advertisments