Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > php tutorials...

php tutorials...

dorayme

At http://www.w3schools.com/php/php_intro.asp it says:

What is PHP?

and answers firstly:

* PHP stands for PHP: Hypertext Preprocessor

What sort of crazy answer is this? Why baffle me at the very first hurdle.
Does the devil write these tutes?

Keep your shirt on all, I am in a bad mood and have not read further...

dorayme

Mark Parnell

Previously in alt.html, dorayme <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

> * PHP stands for PHP: Hypertext Preprocessor

Indeed it does. I love recursive acronyms. Here's a few more if you're
interested:

GNU stands for GNU's Not Unix
VISA stands for VISA International Service Association
WINE stands for Wine Is Not an Emulator

Plenty more abound.

> What sort of crazy answer is this?

A correct one.

> Why baffle me at the very first hurdle.

Their entire purpose in existing is to make your life difficult.

--
Mark Parnell
http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au

Animesh Kumar

dorayme wrote:

> At http://www.w3schools.com/php/php_intro.asp it says:
>
> What is PHP?
>
> and answers firstly:
>
> * PHP stands for PHP: Hypertext Preprocessor
>
> What sort of crazy answer is this? Why baffle me at the very first hurdle.
> Does the devil write these tutes?
>
> Keep your shirt on all, I am in a bad mood and have not read further...
>
> dorayme

Isn't it like

- "GNU is not Unix"
- I don't like recursion, because I don't like recursion

recursive definition, as they say.

Best

boclair

dorayme wrote:
> At http://www.w3schools.com/php/php_intro.asp it says:
>
> What is PHP?
>
> and answers firstly:
>
> * PHP stands for PHP: Hypertext Preprocessor
>
> What sort of crazy answer is this? Why baffle me at the very first hurdle.
> Does the devil write these tutes?
>
> Keep your shirt on all, I am in a bad mood and have not read further...
>
> dorayme

What about "Personal Home Page"? Would that improve the mood!

See http://au3.php.net/history

Louise

dorayme

> From: boclair <(E-Mail Removed)>
>
> dorayme wrote:
>> At http://www.w3schools.com/php/php_intro.asp it says:
>>
>> What is PHP?
>>
>> and answers firstly:
>>
>> * PHP stands for PHP: Hypertext Preprocessor
>>
>> What sort of crazy answer is this? Why baffle me at the very first hurdle.
>> Does the devil write these tutes?
>>
>> Keep your shirt on all, I am in a bad mood and have not read further...
>>
>> dorayme
>>

> What about "Personal Home Page"? Would that improve the mood!
>
> See http://au3.php.net/history
>
> Louise

Yes Louise, it does! I am quite cheered now... thanks...

dorayme

dorayme

> From: Mark Parnell <(E-Mail Removed)>

> Previously in alt.html, dorayme <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>
>> * PHP stands for PHP: Hypertext Preprocessor

> Indeed it does. I love recursive acronyms. Here's a few more if you're
> interested:
>
> GNU stands for GNU's Not Unix
> VISA stands for VISA International Service Association
> WINE stands for Wine Is Not an Emulator
>
> Plenty more abound.
>
>> What sort of crazy answer is this?

> A correct one.
>
>> Why baffle me at the very first hurdle.

> Their entire purpose in existing is to make your life difficult.

OK, it is correct. It is a member of a class. But I doubt that their
purpose is to make life difficult. I think you must be kidding me. You
would not do that... surely not! Not a good man like you. Methinks the
writer of that particular piece did not realise that a newbie to PHP
might actually want to know how the name came about... How I hate
in-groups when I am outside...

dorayme

Mark Parnell

Previously in alt.html, dorayme <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

> OK, it is correct.

Yes.

> It is a member of a class.

You lost me here.

> But I doubt that their
> purpose is to make life difficult.

Only for you. They knew that one day you would be reading that page, and
that an answer like that would upset you. That's why they wrote it that
way. Purely to annoy you.

> I think you must be kidding me. You
> would not do that... surely not! Not a good man like you.

Who, me? Never! *snigger*

> Methinks the
> writer of that particular piece did not realise that a newbie to PHP
> might actually want to know how the name came about... How I hate
> in-groups when I am outside...

But surely you don't read a PHP tutorial to find out the history of the
language? The purpose of a tutorial is to teach you the language itself,
not its heritage.

If you want to learn about the history of PHP, you'd be better off
looking at the site Louise pointed you to, or something like
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PHP#History

--
Mark Parnell
http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au
alt.html FAQ :: http://html-faq.com/

dorayme

> From: Mark Parnell <(E-Mail Removed)>
>
>> It is a member of a class.

> You lost me here.

The class of recursive acronyms...

> But surely you don't read a PHP tutorial to find out the history of the
> language?

Yes, to be honest... I did! Just a little hint would have done me. That's
all! That would have kept me happy. I did not expect it to go on and on
about it. Just a weeny teeny intelligent clue... Silly me!

> The purpose of a tutorial is to teach you the language itself,
> not its heritage.

Ah so! I now know what the real purpose of a PHP tutorial is. I simply never
thought it through so clearly... dear o dear... deary me... You know
something, it is a jungle with hidden rules out there, I will tread
carefully from now on...

dorayme

Mark Parnell

Previously in alt.html, dorayme <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>> From: Mark Parnell <(E-Mail Removed)>
>>

> The class of recursive acronyms...

Ah, thought you were talking about a custom PHP class you had created.
But you probably haven't got that far through the tutorial yet I guess.

>> But surely you don't read a PHP tutorial to find out the history of the
>> language?
>>

> Yes, to be honest... I did!

It would never have occurred to me to do that.

> Just a little hint would have done me. That's
> all! That would have kept me happy. I did not expect it to go on and on
> about it. Just a weeny teeny intelligent clue... Silly me!

Just my opinion. Should have said that.

> Ah so! I now know what the real purpose of a PHP tutorial is.

I wasn't talking about PHP tutorials specifically, but tutorials in
general. I wouldn't ever expect a tutorial to teach me the history of
whatever it was I was trying to learn, unless it is directly relevant to
actually using it. Maybe it's just me.

> I simply never
> thought it through so clearly... dear o dear... deary me... You know
> something, it is a jungle with hidden rules out there,

That's certainly true. Here are some more:
http://www.angelfire.com/ca6/useless...rules/001.html

> I will tread
> carefully from now on...

You're a strange, strange, little man. Or woman. Or whatever you are.

--
Mark Parnell
http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au
alt.html FAQ :: http://html-faq.com/

Blinky the Shark

dorayme wrote:
> At http://www.w3schools.com/php/php_intro.asp it says:
>
> What is PHP?
>
> and answers firstly:
>
> * PHP stands for PHP: Hypertext Preprocessor
>
> What sort of crazy answer is this? Why baffle me at the very first hurdle.

Recursive acronyms are common in the computing world.

http://catb.org/%7Eesr/jargon/html/R...e-acronym.html

--
Blinky Linux Registered User 297263