Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > how to target a frameset

how to target a frameset

Daniel Jung

Hi

Quick question:

frameset
frame A
frameset
frame B
frame C
/frameset
/frameset

I want the second frameset to be overwritten with a document (i.e., the
document expand over the space frame B and frame C occupy) thus making
it one frame, in a way. Since the frameset tag has no official name
attribute, I guess that won't work (or validate) by using the
a-attribute target=name. And, I would apparently be loosing the
frames/nodes (and their names B and C) and thus wouldn't be able to
restore the original frameset again. Unless I load a frameset into the
space again and call its frame B and C.

So an alternative could be to split the framesets over two documents
from the beginning, e.g., main.html and non_A.html:

main.html:
frameset
frame A
frame non_A
/frameset

non_A.html:
frameset
frame B
frame C
/frameset

But that's ugly.

Haven't found much on this question. Thanks for pointers.

- Daniel

Mark Parnell

Previously in alt.html, Daniel Jung <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

> Hi

G'day.

> frameset

*shudder*

> But that's ugly.

Indeed. So don't use it.

--
Mark Parnell
http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au

Daniel Jung

Mark Parnell wrote:
>>frameset

> *shudder*
>
>>But that's ugly.

> Indeed. So don't use it.

"Personally, I don't think it is worth the effort,
but ultimately that decision is up to you."
(http://markparnell.com.au/articles/frames.php)

I agree on the first part - for standard internet
web pages. Which this isn't. I very much agree on
the second part.

And my question was if you knew about any resources
out there discussing this particular issue (not
frames as such). Not if you like frames or not.

- Daniel

Mark Parnell

Previously in alt.html, Daniel Jung <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

> "Personally, I don't think it is worth the effort,
> but ultimately that decision is up to you."
> (http://markparnell.com.au/articles/frames.php)

Hey, someone actually read that. I'm impressed.

> I agree on the first part - for standard internet
> web pages. Which this isn't.

Then you should have said so. Unless you tell us otherwise, we have to
assume that your site is a standard www site. If it is for an intranet
or similar, you need to tell us that. IIRC It used to say that on the
alt.html general info site, but the site has disappeared.

> And my question was if you knew about any resources
> out there discussing this particular issue (not
> frames as such).

Ah, but this is Usenet. Your question getting answered is peripheral to
the discussion.

> Not if you like frames or not.

I was in a hurry, otherwise I may have written a slightly longer answer.
Perhaps even addressed your question. But I'm still in a hurry, so that
will have to wait.

--
Mark Parnell
http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au
alt.html FAQ :: http://html-faq.com/

Mark Parnell

Previously in alt.html, Daniel Jung <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

> frameset
> frame A
> frameset
> frame B
> frame C
> /frameset
> /frameset
>
> I want the second frameset to be overwritten with a document (i.e., the
> document expand over the space frame B and frame C occupy) thus making
> it one frame, in a way.

I've been thinking about this all day, and I can't see any nice way of
making this work. The best solution IMHO (other than dropping the frames
altogether of course) would be to create 2 completely separate pages
with the relevant "layout" in the frameset. So you'd have index.html as
above, then where you want to replace B and C with one frame, have
index2.html (or whatever), which contains:

<frameset>
<frame A>
<frame D>
</frameset>

Link to it using target="_top". Same when linking back to your main page
from this one.

--
Mark Parnell
http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au
alt.html FAQ :: http://html-faq.com/

Noodles Jefferson

In article <42f13631$(E-Mail Removed)>, Daniel Jung ((E-Mail Removed))
dropped a +5 bundle of words...

> Hi
>
> Quick question:
>
> frameset
> frame A
> frameset
> frame B
> frame C
> /frameset
> /frameset
>
> I want the second frameset to be overwritten with a document (i.e., the
> document expand over the space frame B and frame C occupy) thus making
> it one frame, in a way.

Won't happen. Frames just don't work that way.

--
Noodles Jefferson
mhm31x9 Smeeter#29 WSD#30

"Our earth is degenerate in these latter days, bribery and corruption
are common, children no longer obey their parents and the end of the
world is evidently approaching."
--Assyrian clay tablet 2800 B.C.

jake

In message <42f13631$(E-Mail Removed)>, Daniel Jung <(E-Mail Removed)>
writes
>Hi
>
>Quick question:
>
>frameset
> frame A
> frameset
> frame B
> frame C
> /frameset
>/frameset
>
>I want the second frameset to be overwritten with a document (i.e., the
>document expand over the space frame B and frame C occupy) thus making
>it one frame, in a way. Since the frameset tag has no official name
>attribute, I guess that won't work (or validate) by using the
>a-attribute target=name. And, I would apparently be loosing the
>frames/nodes (and their names B and C) and thus wouldn't be able to
>restore the original frameset again. Unless I load a frameset into the
>space again and call its frame B and C.
>
>So an alternative could be to split the framesets over two documents
>from the beginning, e.g., main.html and non_A.html:
>
>main.html:
>frameset
> frame A
> frame non_A
>/frameset
>
>non_A.html:
>frameset
> frame B
> frame C
>/frameset
>
>But that's ugly.
>
>Haven't found much on this question. Thanks for pointers.
>
>- Daniel

As someone has already pointed out: that's not the way frames work.

Without knowing anything about your application (and we would really
need to know how you'd want the application to work) it would seem that
you'd have to have two individual frameset pages.

Without knowing how it's supposed to work makes it difficult to comment
further.

regards.
--
Jake
((E-Mail Removed) .... just a spam trap.)

jake

In message <18tknwbekwfxe$(E-Mail Removed)>, Mark Parnell
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>Previously in alt.html, Daniel Jung <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>
>> "Personally, I don't think it is worth the effort,
>> but ultimately that decision is up to you."
>> (http://markparnell.com.au/articles/frames.php)

>Hey, someone actually read that. I'm impressed.

Interesting, but seems too much like propaganda from the frames-are-evil
collective

[snip]