Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Embeding mp3 doesn't work ... help

Embeding mp3 doesn't work ... help

=?iso-8859-1?Q?Kim_Andr=E9_Aker=F8?=

> Hi again,
>
> The problem with my code was on the following line :
> <PARAM NAME="fileName"
> VALUE="http://www.perignon.co.uk/fr/lessonbeg/sound/o.mp3">
>
> When replaced with :
> <PARAM NAME="fileName" VALUE="./fr/lessonbeg/sound/o.mp3">
>

> The sound plays !!!! (I am using IE6)
>
> And the <OBJECT><PARAM> tags are not proprietary (unlike bgsound) so
> it should work in most of the browsers ....
>
> Can you guys try
> http://www.perignon.co.uk/testmp3.html
> and tell me if it works for you please ?
>
> Thank you all for you help.

Doesn't work for me. (Opera 8.01 on Windows XP SP2)

You're right about the <object> and <param> tags not being proprietary,
but the plugin you're using is. (Microsoft ActiveX control for Windows
Media Player)

--
Kim André Akerĝ
- (E-Mail Removed)

bunch92@yahoo.fr

Kim André Akerĝ <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:3l6kb2F11b1mfU1
@individual.net:

> You're right about the <object> and <param> tags not being proprietary,
> but the plugin you're using is. (Microsoft ActiveX control for Windows
> Media Player)

Thanks

Is there a "universal plugin" I could use instead ? Or one that is
supported by more browsers ?

Philip Ronan

"(E-Mail Removed)" wrote:

> Is there a "universal plugin" I could use instead ? Or one that is
> supported by more browsers ?

Maybe I'm missing something here, but if this works for .wav files:

<EMBED src="foo.wav" height="20" width="100" hidden autoplay="true">

then surely this should work for .mp3 files:

<EMBED src="foo.mp3" height="20" width="100" hidden autoplay="true">

Why are you bothering with all this ActiveX nonsense?

--
phil [dot] ronan @ virgin [dot] net
http://vzone.virgin.net/phil.ronan/

Spartanicus

>> Apart from the flawed method of using the embed element, any form of
>> embedding (and that includes bgsound) is flawed. Embedded audio is in
>> the top ten of things people hate about web sites.

>What I showed you in that test is only the tip of the iceberg. User will
>have a choice of lets say 20 sounds to play on the page (i.e. 20 "play"
>buttons).
>
>When they click on the button, a new page will open with the sound
>embeded (if they chose WAV) or in background mode (if they chose MP3).

Opening new windows is another firm favourite in the top ten of things
people hate about web sites. You seem really determined to drive away
users.

>> You've been shown how to do this in a way that enables it to work for
>> *all* clients (at so that the audio only plays at the user's request
>> only). It's pointless if it "works" on your computer, if you are
>> creating a web site then it needs to work for *others*.

>No I have not. What you showed me say :
>"Linking to the redirector file will cause the associated player
>software to start on the client computer"

It's your responsibility to properly present the content, it's none of
your business how the user handles it. Attempts to embed audio will only
result in clients not being able to play the audio at all.

>I wanted something embeded

First rule of web design: It's not about *you*. What is the point of
tailoring something to your preference when you know that doing so will
prevent others from using your content?

--
Spartanicus

Jonathan N. Little

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> dorayme <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:BF13A374.151EC%(E-Mail Removed):
>

>>Amazing how well this works! Never mind the majority of the code at
>>http://70.84.175.210/~perigno/testwav.html, does anyone have a browser
>>(where they have not turned off relevant preferences or options and do
>>not play background music like Spacegirl) that does not play the wav
>>file with the embed. Works well in all my browsers, not just IE.
>>
>>dorayme
>>

> Yes dorayme, WAV works great.
>
> But because of download time problems, I thought it would have been nice
> to have an MP3 option to work EXACTLY the same way.
>
> I thought I would be able to use ..<embed>.. or ...<object><parameter
> autoplay>... but as you can see, my testpage doen't work :
> http://www.perignon.co.uk/testmp3.html

The usual hack is:
(note: not html 4.01 strict!!)

<object ...>
<param name="src" value="some.mp3">

bunch92@yahoo.fr

Philip Ronan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:BF13DFAD.35B12%
(E-Mail Removed)lid:
> then surely this should work for .mp3 files:
>
> <EMBED src="foo.mp3" height="20" width="100" hidden autoplay="true">

No, it doesn't seem to work ...
http://www.perignon.co.uk/testmp3new.html

but activeX works:
http://www.perignon.co.uk/testmp3.html

bunch92@yahoo.fr

Spartanicus <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed) anicus.utvinternet.ie:

> Opening new windows is another firm favourite in the top ten of things
> people hate about web sites. You seem really determined to drive away
> users.

I knew you were going to say that ... and I agree.

Clicking on the button will actually display what is being played in a
frame at the bottom of the page. So if they click "O", they will hear
"O" and see the message saying "loading and playing "O" at the bottom of
the page.

This works perfectly at the moment with WAV sounds (no pop-ups at all)
and makes it easier for the user to naviguate the site.

Imagine if they had to open/close their sound application 26 times for
each letter of the alphabet ....

> It's your responsibility to properly present the content, it's none of
> your business how the user handles it. Attempts to embed audio will
> only result in clients not being able to play the audio at all.
>
>>I wanted something embeded

> First rule of web design: It's not about *you*. What is the point of
> tailoring something to your preference when you know that doing so
> will prevent others from using your content?

Agree in most of cases .. but not really in my case.

Spartanicus

>> Opening new windows is another firm favourite in the top ten of things
>> people hate about web sites. You seem really determined to drive away
>> users.

>I knew you were going to say that ... and I agree.
>
>Clicking on the button will actually display what is being played in a
>frame at the bottom of the page. So if they click "O", they will hear
>"O" and see the message saying "loading and playing "O" at the bottom of
>the page.
>
>This works perfectly at the moment with WAV sounds (no pop-ups at all)

It may work on *your* system, but it won't work on *my* system. Had you
done the sensible thing it would have worked on my and similarly
configured systems, and that's *your* loss.

>and makes it easier for the user to naviguate the site.
>
>Imagine if they had to open/close their sound application 26 times for
>each letter of the alphabet ....

Again: what happens depends on the client configuration. If as I do the
user has the browser setup to hand off audio to their preferred external
application then you should not be trying to interfere with that choice.
When I click a link to an audio file my audio player starts minimized to
the systray, it will stay open for subsequent clicks on audio files
until I close it.

--
Spartanicus

bunch92@yahoo.fr

Spartanicus <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed) anicus.utvinternet.ie:

> It may work on *your* system, but it won't work on *my* system. Had
> you done the sensible thing it would have worked on my and similarly
> configured systems, and that's *your* loss.

ok
I installed Firefox to test my site ... and I have to say that
Spartanicus is right ... it didn't work (WAV or MP3) as I didn't have
the quicktime plugin (which is 21mb btw) ...

So I guess users need to have 4 choices :
embeded WAV
popup WAV
embeded MP3
popup MP3

Damn, let's go to work now

Travis Newbury

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Spartanicus <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> > It may work on *your* system, but it won't work on *my* system. Had
> > you done the sensible thing it would have worked on my and similarly
> > configured systems, and that's *your* loss.

> I installed Firefox to test my site ... and I have to say that
> Spartanicus is right ... it didn't work (WAV or MP3) as I didn't have
> the quicktime plugin (which is 21mb btw) ...

Technically speaking, he is usually right. The links to his streaming
media discutions are right on the money.

--
-=tn=-

HTML Help - Embeding WMP Dennis Computer Support 9 02-04-2009 05:17 PM
Embeding Directx in aspx page? =?Utf-8?B?UGlja3dpY2tCb2Iz?= ASP .Net 1 12-01-2005 09:37 AM
embeding wmp w/instant play?l ASP .Net 3 06-10-2005 03:56 PM
Re: Font Embeding Adrienne HTML 3 07-22-2003 06:04 PM

Advertisments