Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Embeding mp3 doesn't work ... help

Embeding mp3 doesn't work ... help

dorayme

> From: <(E-Mail Removed)>
>
> I am creating a site to learn a foreign language. I will have hundreds of
> sounds (each no longer than 5 seconds).
>
> I don't want the users to have pop-up windows at all so I need the sounds to
> be embeded.
>
> I can make it work with WAV files :
> http://www.perignon.co.uk/testwav.html

Amazing how well this works! Never mind the majority of the code at
http://70.84.175.210/~perigno/testwav.html, does anyone have a browser
(where they have not turned off relevant preferences or options and do not
play background music like Spacegirl) that does not play the wav file with
the embed. Works well in all my browsers, not just IE.

dorayme

Thank you all for your advice.

Users will have a choice between the embed WAV (which works with all
browsers hopefully), or the bgsound MP3 (only IE ?).

They will be able to make their choice when they register by doing a simple
test, and the site will point to the relevant files according to that first
choice ...

It is the best I can think of as objetct/param tags didn't work properly.

Spartanicus

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Thank you all for your advice.

What advice? Quote a minimal bit of what you are replying to, put your
reply beneath it.

>Users will have a choice between the embed WAV (which works with all
>browsers hopefully)

It won't.

>, or the bgsound MP3 (only IE ?).

Apart from the flawed method of using the embed element, any form of
embedding (and that includes bgsound) is flawed. Embedded audio is in
the top ten of things people hate about web sites.

>They will be able to make their choice when they register by doing a simple
>test, and the site will point to the relevant files according to that first
>choice ...
>
>It is the best I can think of as objetct/param tags didn't work properly.

You've been shown how to do this in a way that enables it to work for
*all* clients (at so that the audio only plays at the user's request
only). It's pointless if it "works" on your computer, if you are
creating a web site then it needs to work for *others*.

--
Spartanicus

Travis Newbury

Spartanicus wrote:
> >, or the bgsound MP3 (only IE ?).

> Apart from the flawed method of using the embed element, any form of
> embedding (and that includes bgsound) is flawed. Embedded audio is in
> the top ten of things people hate about web sites.

Unless it is requested. And in this case the OP implied that it was
infact being requested to be played that way.

> >They will be able to make their choice when they register by doing a simple
> >test, and the site will point to the relevant files according to that first
> >choice ...

> You've been shown how to do this in a way that enables it to work for
> *all* clients (at so that the audio only plays at the user's request
> only). It's pointless if it "works" on your computer, if you are
> creating a web site then it needs to work for *others*.

The OP has done extra work to assure that both those that want a
background sound and those that don't can have what they want. Your
reply seems to be saying, you should not even give them that choice.

--
-=tn=-

bunch92@yahoo.fr

Spartanicus <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed) anicus.utvinternet.ie:

> Apart from the flawed method of using the embed element, any form of
> embedding (and that includes bgsound) is flawed. Embedded audio is in
> the top ten of things people hate about web sites.

What I showed you in that test is only the tip of the iceberg. User will
have a choice of lets say 20 sounds to play on the page (i.e. 20 "play"
buttons).

When they click on the button, a new page will open with the sound
embeded (if they chose WAV) or in background mode (if they chose MP3).

> You've been shown how to do this in a way that enables it to work for
> *all* clients (at so that the audio only plays at the user's request
> only). It's pointless if it "works" on your computer, if you are
> creating a web site then it needs to work for *others*.

No I have not. What you showed me say :
"Linking to the redirector file will cause the associated player
software to start on the client computer"

I wanted something embeded (like for the wav example) but unfortunately
it doesn't seem achivable with MP3.

bunch92@yahoo.fr

dorayme <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:BF13A374.151EC%(E-Mail Removed):

> Amazing how well this works! Never mind the majority of the code at
> http://70.84.175.210/~perigno/testwav.html, does anyone have a browser
> (where they have not turned off relevant preferences or options and do
> not play background music like Spacegirl) that does not play the wav
> file with the embed. Works well in all my browsers, not just IE.
>
> dorayme

Yes dorayme, WAV works great.

But because of download time problems, I thought it would have been nice
to have an MP3 option to work EXACTLY the same way.

I thought I would be able to use ..<embed>.. or ...<object><parameter
autoplay>... but as you can see, my testpage doen't work :
http://www.perignon.co.uk/testmp3.html

Rincewind

On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 20:16:24 +0100, SpaceGirl wrote:

>> OK
>> got it working using the bgsound and using :
>>
>> ./path
>>
>> instead of
>>
>> http://mysite/path
>>

> Wont work in any browsers I use, you 10-15% of browsers most people use.
> Why would I want to hear sound from a web site unless I specifically
> asked for it? Generally I have music playing while I'm at the computer.
> Last thing I want is ANOTHER mp3 playing at the same time...

Well if its a site to learn a foreign language you probably would want to
hear it.

Travis Newbury

Rincewind wrote:
> > Wont work in any browsers I use...

> Well if its a site to learn a foreign language you probably would want to
> hear it.

You have a great solution. The user gets to decide if they want a pop
up (aka a link) or if they want embeded audio. If one doesn't work for
the user, they can change to the other. This is a perfectly acceptable
solution to your problem.

And while they mean well, sometimes people here talk in absolutes and
ignore the common sense part of the solution.

--
-=tn=-

bunch92@yahoo.fr

"Travis Newbury" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com:

> You have a great solution. The user gets to decide if they want a pop
> up (aka a link) or if they want embeded audio. If one doesn't work
> for the user, they can change to the other. This is a perfectly
> acceptable solution to your problem.

That sounds good, but that means 4 different ways (i.e. WAV embed,WAV
link, MP3 embed and MP3 link) ... that's going to be tricky to code but
would be the best solution I guess.

I still think users prefer an "embeded" solution for this kind of site,
because it can become annoying to have the sound window to popup
everytime you want to learn a new word.

Cheers

bunch92@yahoo.fr

Hi again,

The problem with my code was on the following line :
<PARAM NAME="fileName"
VALUE="http://www.perignon.co.uk/fr/lessonbeg/sound/o.mp3">

When replaced with :
<PARAM NAME="fileName" VALUE="./fr/lessonbeg/sound/o.mp3">

The sound plays !!!! (I am using IE6)

And the <OBJECT><PARAM> tags are not proprietary (unlike bgsound) so it
should work in most of the browsers ....

Can you guys try
http://www.perignon.co.uk/testmp3.html
and tell me if it works for you please ?

Thank you all for you help.

HTML Help - Embeding WMP Dennis Computer Support 9 02-04-2009 05:17 PM
Embeding Directx in aspx page? =?Utf-8?B?UGlja3dpY2tCb2Iz?= ASP .Net 1 12-01-2005 09:37 AM
embeding wmp w/instant play?l ASP .Net 3 06-10-2005 03:56 PM
Re: Font Embeding Adrienne HTML 3 07-22-2003 06:04 PM

Advertisments