Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Embeding mp3 doesn't work ... help

Embeding mp3 doesn't work ... help

I am creating a site to learn a foreign language. I will have hundreds of
sounds (each no longer than 5 seconds).

I don't want the users to have pop-up windows at all so I need the sounds to
be embeded.

I can make it work with WAV files :
http://www.perignon.co.uk/testwav.html

but it doesn't work with MP3 :
http://www.perignon.co.uk/testmp3.html

What am I doing wrong ? The server I use says it has got the audio mp3 MIME
so it should work ?

The mp3 source is in :
http://www.perignon.co.uk/fr/lessonbeg/sound/o.mp3
and works fine.

The code is :
<OBJECT ID="mediaPlayer"
CLASSID="CLSID:22d6f312-b0f6-11d0-94ab-0080c74c7e95"
CODEBASE="http://activex.microsoft.com/activex/
controls/mplayer/en/nsmp2inf.cab#Version=5,1,52,701" STANDBY="Loading
Microsoft Windows Media Player components..."
TYPE="application/x-oleobject"> <PARAM NAME="fileName"
VALUE="http://www.perignon.co.uk/fr/lessonbeg/sound/o.mp3"> <PARAM
NAME="animationatStart" VALUE="true"> <PARAM NAME="transparentatStart"
VALUE="true"> <PARAM NAME="autoStart" VALUE="true"> <PARAM
NAME="showControls" VALUE="true"> </OBJECT>

Thank you for your help.

Spartanicus

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I am creating a site to learn a foreign language. I will have hundreds of
>sounds (each no longer than 5 seconds).
>
>I don't want the users to have pop-up windows at all so I need the sounds to
>be embeded.

No you don't: <a href="noise.mp3">noise</a>, better yet use redirector
files: http://www.spartanicus.utvinternet.ie/streaming.htm

>The code is :
><OBJECT ID="mediaPlayer"
>CLASSID="CLSID:22d6f312-b0f6-11d0-94ab-0080c74c7e95"
>CODEBASE="http://activex.microsoft.com/activex/
>controls/mplayer/en/nsmp2inf.cab#Version=5,1,52,701" STANDBY="Loading
>Microsoft Windows Media Player components..."
>TYPE="application/x-oleobject"> <PARAM NAME="fileName"
>VALUE="http://www.perignon.co.uk/fr/lessonbeg/sound/o.mp3"> <PARAM
>NAME="animationatStart" VALUE="true"> <PARAM NAME="transparentatStart"
>VALUE="true"> <PARAM NAME="autoStart" VALUE="true"> <PARAM
>NAME="showControls" VALUE="true"> </OBJECT>

Horrible MS specific ActiveX crap.

--
Spartanicus

"Spartanicus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) anicus.utvinternet.ie...
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> No you don't: <a href="noise.mp3">noise</a>, better yet use redirector
> files: http://www.spartanicus.utvinternet.ie/streaming.htm

I tried that but the sound is not embeded. It opens in a new window ....
http://www.perignon.co.uk/testmp32.html

I would like the sound to play in the same window ... like it does for the
WAV example

OK
got it working using the bgsound and using :

../path

instead of

http://mysite/path

Spartanicus

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>OK
>got it working using the bgsound and using :

No, you just broke your site.

--
Spartanicus

Spartanicus

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> No you don't: <a href="noise.mp3">noise</a>, better yet use redirector
>> files: http://www.spartanicus.utvinternet.ie/streaming.htm

>I tried that but the sound is not embeded. It opens in a new window ....

What happens depends on the user's configuration, change your
configuration if you don't like a new window.

Altering the website coding to circumvent a configuration error on your
computer will only result in a broken website for others.

--
Spartanicus

Jonathan N. Little

> OK
> got it working using the bgsound and using :
>
> ./path
>
> instead of
>
> http://mysite/path

Well I *won't* hear it! *bgsound* is an MS proprietary tag, see for
yourself...

http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/index/elements.html
Index of the HTML 4 Elements

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

Travis Newbury

Spartanicus wrote:
> Altering the website coding to circumvent a configuration error on your
> computer will only result in a broken website for others.

But it works the way it was designed. So you have to weigh which is
more important to the overall success of the site. And only the OP can
be the judge of that.

--
-=tn=-

Travis Newbury

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> got it working using the bgsound and using :

You realize of course that this will not work for everyone. So if your
audience uses IE and has a configuration like yours, then you are fine.
But if some of your visitors have something different (say one of the
many browsers that do not support bgsound) then they get nothing. So
you might want to use bgsound AND supply a link for everyone else.

This way for the vast majority of your visitors, it works the way you
designed it, and for the rest of your visitors they get to use the link
to hear the sound.

Kind of the best of both worlds.

--
-=tn=-

SpaceGirl

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> OK
> got it working using the bgsound and using :
>
> ./path
>
> instead of
>
> http://mysite/path

Wont work in any browsers I use, you 10-15% of browsers most people use.
Why would I want to hear sound from a web site unless I specifically
asked for it? Generally I have music playing while I'm at the computer.
Last thing I want is ANOTHER mp3 playing at the same time...

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

# this post (c) Miranda Thomas 2005
# explicitly no permission given to Forum4Designers
# to duplicate this post.

HTML Help - Embeding WMP Dennis Computer Support 9 02-04-2009 05:17 PM
Embeding Directx in aspx page? =?Utf-8?B?UGlja3dpY2tCb2Iz?= ASP .Net 1 12-01-2005 09:37 AM
embeding wmp w/instant play?l ASP .Net 3 06-10-2005 03:56 PM
Re: Font Embeding Adrienne HTML 3 07-22-2003 06:04 PM

Advertisments