Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > <TBODY>

<TBODY>

David Dorward

JohnWMpls wrote:

> I've been using my sig separator for almost 20 years in the BBS world.
> It is: 3 hyphens, CR/LF, Space, Text.....
>
> What you suggest looks similar but: 2 hyphens, CR/LF, Text....
> Is that right?

No, 2 hyphens, space, CR/LF, Text.

http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2646.html

> Does the difference make my old BBS style generally not accepted in
> newsgroups?

Yes.

Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

Lasse Reichstein Nielsen

JohnWMpls <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> Following is the top of the code I used (all UC originally from a
> word97-to-html conversion - messy looking but it works!).

For some definition of "works", although I fear it's not a useful
definition.

> <P ALIGN="CENTER">
> <TABLE width="95%" BORDER CELLSPACING=1 CELLPADDING=7">

Probably not what you meant to write. The TABLE is a block level
element, and since it cannot be inside a P element, the browser will
end the P element again before it (adding the optional end tag for the
P element). That means that the centering will not work on the TABEL
if following standards.

> <thead><h3>Choir Schedule</h3>

Invalid HTML. The H3 may not appear inside a THEAD (only TR may), so
error correction might end the THEAD *and* the TABLE right there ...

> <TR>

.... and start a new table around this row and forwards. Or maybe not,
it's never easy to guess what browsers do with nonsensical HTML

/L

JohnWMpls

On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 22:31:09 +0100, David Dorward <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

=>JohnWMpls wrote:
=>
=>> I've been using my sig separator for almost 20 years in the BBS world.
=>> It is: 3 hyphens, CR/LF, Space, Text.....
=>>
=>> What you suggest looks similar but: 2 hyphens, CR/LF, Text....
=>> Is that right?
=>
=>No, 2 hyphens, space, CR/LF, Text.
=>
=>http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2646.html
=>
=>> Does the difference make my old BBS style generally not accepted in
=>> newsgroups?
=>
=>Yes.

I tried cutting back to 2 hyphens on my BBS messages - and it works there
also.

Using the above in BBSs, my messages end up with just my sig - the
separator avoids the 2 lines of advertisement the local BBS usually
adds.

--
JohnW-Mpls

JohnWMpls

On Tue, 02 Aug 2005 20:47:37 +0200, Lasse Reichstein Nielsen
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

=>JohnWMpls <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
=>
=>> Following is the top of the code I used (all UC originally from a
=>> word97-to-html conversion - messy looking but it works!).
=>
=>For some definition of "works", although I fear it's not a useful
=>definition.
=>
=>> <P ALIGN="CENTER">
=>> <TABLE width="95%" BORDER CELLSPACING=1 CELLPADDING=7">
=>
=>Probably not what you meant to write. The TABLE is a block level
=>element, and since it cannot be inside a P element, the browser will
=>end the P element again before it (adding the optional end tag for the
=>P element). That means that the centering will not work on the TABEL
=>if following standards.

As I said, code came from the conversion - and it worked.

=>
=>> <thead><h3>Choir Schedule</h3>
=>
=>Invalid HTML. The H3 may not appear inside a THEAD (only TR may), so
=>error correction might end the THEAD *and* the TABLE right there ...

Whatever. The <h3> placed the title inside the header row. I replaced
<h3> with <caption> and the title was outside the header row.

--
JohnW-Mpls

Barbara de Zoete

On Wed, 03 Aug 2005 02:31:50 GMT, JohnWMpls <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Tue, 02 Aug 2005 20:47:37 +0200, Lasse Reichstein Nielsen
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

=>JohnWMpls <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

What's with this ugly == in front of the quoted text? Use >> like anybody else.
With == you break the quote mechanism for other people.

>>> Following is the top of the code I used (all UC originally from a
>>> word97-to-html conversion - messy looking but it works!).

>> For some definition of "works", although I fear it's not a useful
>> definition.
>>
>>> <P ALIGN="CENTER">
>>> <TABLE width="95%" BORDER CELLSPACING=1 CELLPADDING=7">

>> Probably not what you meant to write. The TABLE is a block level
>> element, and since it cannot be inside a P element, the browser will
>> end the P element again before it (adding the optional end tag for the
>> P element). That means that the centering will not work on the TABEL
>> if following standards.

> As I said, code came from the conversion - and it worked.

This group isn't about 'it worked'. It is about html. And what you provide is
not any conforming html to any version. You don't know if it works. You probably
just see it on your own screen with your own browser. IE no doubt. It might not
work at all with some other browser.

>>> <thead><h3>Choir Schedule</h3>

>> Invalid HTML. The H3 may not appear inside a THEAD (only TR may), so
>> error correction might end the THEAD *and* the TABLE right there ...

> Whatever.

Quč?

> The <h3> placed the title inside the header row. I replaced
> <h3> with <caption> and the title was outside the header row.

Djeez, wake up buddy. You better learn what you're doing or not expect any help
from here anymore. Can't have it both ways.

Create correct markup, have it validated. Use css for looks and layout. Validate
that too. Only if all that has been done, come here with your questions. Or ask
what you do not understand during the learning proces. But don't expect someone
who is more serious about markup to help out with maintaining wrong code.

> --

Your sig separator is broken. It's missing the space. Correct it, so people
don't have to delete your sig manually if replying to your posts.