Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Another odd IE flickering CSS problem!

Another odd IE flickering CSS problem!

Rob O

Hi again folks

We have a CSS based site where something very odd is happening to a
couple of items on the homepage.

In IE6, take a look at <http://www.littlejohnfraser.com>

The panel under the left nav contains a text link, with an image
below.

Most of the time IE6 does not display the text (other browsers seem
fine!) and sometimes on a refresh in IE6 the links do re-appear.

It also appears once you have clicked it and hold the mouse button
down.

It also disappears again if you click it then hit the back button.

Weird eh? Anyone got any ideas on this one?

TIA

cosmic foo

"Rob O" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi again folks
>
> We have a CSS based site where something very odd is happening to a
> couple of items on the homepage.
>
> In IE6, take a look at <http://www.littlejohnfraser.com>
>
> The panel under the left nav contains a text link, with an image
> below.
>
> Most of the time IE6 does not display the text (other browsers seem
> fine!) and sometimes on a refresh in IE6 the links do re-appear.
>
> It also appears once you have clicked it and hold the mouse button
> down.
>
> It also disappears again if you click it then hit the back button.
>
> Weird eh? Anyone got any ideas on this one?
>
> TIA

In ie 'How to find us' disappears as soon as i
mouse over any of the menu selections.
And in firefox when i mouse over 'Home',
it doesn't chop the top right corner.

Rob O

On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 09:25:54 -0400, "cosmic foo"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> In IE6, take a look at <http://www.littlejohnfraser.com>
>>
>> The panel under the left nav contains a text link, with an image
>> below.
>>
>> Most of the time IE6 does not display the text (other browsers seem
>> fine!) and sometimes on a refresh in IE6 the links do re-appear.
>>
>> It also appears once you have clicked it and hold the mouse button
>> down.
>>
>> It also disappears again if you click it then hit the back button.
>>
>> Weird eh? Anyone got any ideas on this one?
>>
>> TIA

>In ie 'How to find us' disappears as soon as i
>mouse over any of the menu selections.
>And in firefox when i mouse over 'Home',
>it doesn't chop the top right corner.

Interesting observation - yep, sure is part of the problem - we just
can't figure it out, there's no dodgy JS, just some CSS hover stuff
that's all pretty straightforward....

JDS

On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 16:37:26 +0000, Rob O wrote:

> Interesting observation - yep, sure is part of the problem - we just
> can't figure it out, there's no dodgy JS, just some CSS hover stuff
> that's all pretty straightforward....

I haven't looked, but it sounds like the "peekaboo" bug to me.

Try the Holly Hack:
http://www.onestab.net/a/pie/explorer/peekaboo.html

dunno if it will work
--
JDS | http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)lid
| http://www.newtnotes.com

JDS

On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 14:15:09 -0400, JDS wrote:

> I haven't looked, but it sounds like the "peekaboo" bug to me.

Now I have looked, and I agree with my original diagnosis. the "peekaboo"
bug.

Using floats with MSIE is iffy at best. The Holly Hack works, but may
take some tinkering to get right.

--
JDS | (E-Mail Removed)lid
| http://www.newtnotes.com

Animesh Kumar

Rob O wrote:

> Hi again folks
>
> We have a CSS based site where something very odd is happening to a
> couple of items on the homepage.
>
> In IE6, take a look at <http://www.littlejohnfraser.com>
>
> The panel under the left nav contains a text link, with an image
> below.
>
> Most of the time IE6 does not display the text (other browsers seem
> fine!) and sometimes on a refresh in IE6 the links do re-appear.
>
> It also appears once you have clicked it and hold the mouse button
> down.
>
> It also disappears again if you click it then hit the back button.
>
> Weird eh? Anyone got any ideas on this one?
>
> TIA

The bug you found is quite interesting. Bill Gates should slap himself
thrice on his cheeks for his silliest and bulkiest web browser.

Rants apart. I will get rid of the image since it is not serving much
purpose there. You may also want to "decrease" border or padding around
images or <h2> element which you use to define "How to Find Us" link.

In Mozilla, "hover" chops a corner of the link-background. I wonder if
you designed it like that. Good luck!

Animesh

boclair

Rob O wrote:
> Hi again folks
>
> We have a CSS based site where something very odd is happening to a
> couple of items on the homepage.
>
> In IE6, take a look at <http://www.littlejohnfraser.com>
>
> The panel under the left nav contains a text link, with an image
> below.
>
> Most of the time IE6 does not display the text (other browsers seem
> fine!) and sometimes on a refresh in IE6 the links do re-appear.

peekaboo bug
Add rule height:1px; to #findus

Louise

kchayka

boclair wrote:

> peekaboo bug
> Add rule height:1px; to #findus

You might want to reconsider using height as a work-around for various
IE6 layout bugs. What happens if MS decides to correct IE's broken
overflow behavior in IE7? This will bite you badly.

Suggested alternative:
zoom: 1.0;

It is a proprietary property which other browsers will ignore, but still
usually does the job for IE. IMO, it's a case where using non-standard
code is quite OK.

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Christoph_P=E4per?=

kchayka:
> boclair wrote:
>> peekaboo bug

> What happens if MS decides to correct IE's broken
> overflow behavior in IE7?

Actually they kind of did. IE7b1 has the Peekaboo bug fixed---at least
it says so on
<http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/workshop/essentials/whatsnew/whatsnew_70_sdk.asp>.

boclair

kchayka wrote:
> boclair wrote:
>
>>peekaboo bug
>>Add rule height:1px; to #findus

> You might want to reconsider using height as a work-around for various
> IE6 layout bugs. What happens if MS decides to correct IE's broken
> overflow behavior in IE7? This will bite you badly.
>
> Suggested alternative:
> zoom: 1.0;

Thanks for that. I had not come across it though now having googled I
see it is recommended widely.

Do you know that the height hack will backfire in IE7? It doesn't in
existing compliant browsers as far as know.

I thought that suggesting a height for a div did not constrain the div
height which is determined rather by the content. It seemed that the
height hack was fairly innocuous as hacks go.

I ask because we have authored a number of sites in some of which the
height hack has been used.

Louise

Odd behavior with odd code Michael Speer C Programming 33 02-18-2007 07:31 AM
How to Avoid Flickering? Manohar ASP .Net 1 11-06-2003 11:04 PM
Flickering vinay ASP .Net 1 08-27-2003 06:11 PM
Flickering on Listbox control yop ASP .Net 1 08-27-2003 11:47 AM
Re: Flickering effect SEWilson ASP .Net 0 08-23-2003 03:59 AM

Advertisments