Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > AJAX web applications examples

AJAX web applications examples

Woolly Mittens

Hello all,

I made a few AJAX (Asynchronous Javascript and XML) applications for a
presentation. You might want to have a look at the showcase.

http://www.woollymittens.nl/content/...50727091300000

And uhm yes... I made a massive multiplayer online battleships game in it.

Greetings,
Woolly Mittens

Spartanicus

Woolly Mittens <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>http://www.woollymittens.nl/content/...50727091300000

You are violating w3c guidelines by serving XHTML 1.1 as text/html.

I couldn't read the text (microfont).

The above text was written without spelling errors.

(silly statement eh? Similar to placing valid html/css buttons on a web
page).

--
Spartanicus

Woolly Mittens

Spartanicus wrote:

>>http://www.woollymittens.nl/content/...50727091300000

> You are violating w3c guidelines by serving XHTML 1.1 as text/html.

Complain to my provider

> I couldn't read the text (microfont).

Use ctrl+ to make the font as large as you want.

> The above text was written without spelling errors.
>
> (silly statement eh? Similar to placing valid html/css buttons on a web
> page).

Are you a griefer?

Leif K-Brooks

Woolly Mittens wrote:
> Spartanicus wrote:
>
>> You are violating w3c guidelines by serving XHTML 1.1 as text/html.

> Complain to my provider

If you can't change the MIME type, you should switch to a different
version of (X)HTML. That has nothing to do with your "provider".

>> I couldn't read the text (microfont).

> Use ctrl+ to make the font as large as you want.

My browser's default font was chosen to suit my particular vision needs.
I don't want to re-make that choice every time I view a Web page. If you
think your preferences are more important than those of your visitor,
the visitor will go elsewhere.

hyweljenkins@hotmail.com

Spartanicus wrote:
> Woolly Mittens <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >http://www.woollymittens.nl/content/...50727091300000

> You are violating w3c guidelines by serving XHTML 1.1 as text/html.
>
> I couldn't read the text (microfont).
>
> The above text was written without spelling errors.

FFS, when will people here stop being so bloody anal about this stuff.
The work that Woollymittens has submitted, because it may be of
interest, isn't compulsory reading. So, if the text is too small for
you, either do as he suggests and change the size in your browser, or
**** off to another site that uses 48pt Sans Serif.

Instead of smart arse responses like yours, why not make an effort to
read the content and offer some contructive feedback.

alt.html used to be a cracking group. Now it's degenerated in to the
slop that is/was CIWAH. A bunch of in-crowd know-it-alls that are
simply here to inflate their egos by stomping on others. I know - I've
done it too, but now it's tiresome.

--
Hywel

tm

> Spartanicus wrote:
> > Woolly Mittens <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > >http://www.woollymittens.nl/content/...50727091300000

> > You are violating w3c guidelines by serving XHTML 1.1 as text/html.
> >
> > I couldn't read the text (microfont).
> >
> > The above text was written without spelling errors.

> FFS, when will people here stop being so bloody anal about this stuff.
> The work that Woollymittens has submitted, because it may be of
> interest, isn't compulsory reading. So, if the text is too small for
> you, either do as he suggests and change the size in your browser, or
> **** off to another site that uses 48pt Sans Serif.
>
> Instead of smart arse responses like yours, why not make an effort to
> read the content and offer some contructive feedback.

heh. 'Constructive'. HTH

> alt.html used to be a cracking group. Now it's degenerated in to the
> slop that is/was CIWAH. A bunch of in-crowd know-it-alls that are
> simply here to inflate their egos by stomping on others. I know - I've
> done it too, but now it's tiresome.

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, (E-Mail Removed) quothed:

> alt.html used to be a cracking group. Now it's degenerated in to the
> slop that is/was CIWAH. A bunch of in-crowd know-it-alls that are
> simply here to inflate their egos by stomping on others. I know - I've
> done it too, but now it's tiresome.

Ah, Hywel... That's the best thing you ever wrote. 'Hats off to you,
bud. (I, too, have executed my egotistical faux pai.)

--
Neredbojias

Travis Newbury

Woolly Mittens wrote:
> I made a few AJAX (Asynchronous Javascript and XML) applications for a
> presentation. You might want to have a look at the showcase.

Just courious, why put the links to the w3c if you don't validate?

For me, the jury is still out on AJAX. I like what can be done with it
(Google Maps is most impresive), but I am finding very little advantage
over doing the same thing with Flash. For example your "Battle Ship"
was a 2 meg download. The same game could have been done with a 100k
flash file.

In any event, AJAX is interesting to say the least.

--
-=tn=-

Woolly Mittens

Leif K-Brooks wrote:
> Woolly Mittens wrote:
> If you can't change the MIME type, you should switch to a different
> version of (X)HTML. That has nothing to do with your "provider".

You know as well as I do that the <?xml think is used to force internet
explorer into quirks-mode. In an ideal world, the hack wouldn't be
needed. But in an ideal world, there wouldn't be sourpusses either.

>>>I couldn't read the text (microfont).

>>Use ctrl+ to make the font as large as you want.

> My browser's default font was chosen to suit my particular vision needs.
> I don't want to re-make that choice every time I view a Web page. If you
> think your preferences are more important than those of your visitor,
> the visitor will go elsewhere.

This is ridiculous. It's a mark-up language. What you are saying is that
all markup-is strictly prohibited because you like it that way?

My stylesheet is my suggestion to your browser. Your browser can ignore
it if you don't like it.

What you are trying to do, is turn this thread into a flame-trap. This
will be my last reply to you, unless you stop acting like a jerk.

Woolly

Woolly Mittens

Neredbojias wrote:
> With neither quill nor qualm, (E-Mail Removed) quothed:
>

>>alt.html used to be a cracking group. Now it's degenerated in to the
>>slop that is/was CIWAH. A bunch of in-crowd know-it-alls that are
>>simply here to inflate their egos by stomping on others. I know - I've
>>done it too, but now it's tiresome.

> Ah, Hywel... That's the best thing you ever wrote. 'Hats off to you,
> bud. (I, too, have executed my egotistical faux pai.)

In the ideal world everything would conform to the standards. I used the
"<?xml" header to confuse internet explorer 6 into using quirksmode. I
did this because internet explorer 5.5 has no standards-mode.

Offcourse in an ideal world there would be no troll to bitch about
details and ignore the creativity. Half a dozen people put a lot of time
into this game, it kinda hurts to see some busybody moan about details,
but I'm used to it by now.

Let me know if you find some real bugs in the game, there's bound to be
plenty.

Woolly