Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Editing link

Editing link

Ben Bullock

Is it possible to make a link in an html document something like

which would then pop up the user's own favourite text editor to edit the
file in question?

I know it's possible to have a text editing window on a browser screen, but
I'd like to be able to send the file to a text editor.

Thanks for any help,

Ben.

dorayme

> From: "Ben Bullock" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>
> Is it possible to make a link in an html document something like

> which would then pop up the user's own favourite text editor to edit the
> file in question?
>
> I know it's possible to have a text editing window on a browser screen, but
> I'd like to be able to send the file to a text editor.

In the iCab browser for Macs, there is a setting that enables all the source
code to be viewed (and consequently saved) in any text editor you have on
board. It will also go directly to the file that powers the browser if it is
on your computer so you can change it. I don't know if you can do this in
other browsers or on other platforms.

dorayme

Leonard Blaisdell

In article <dbsei5$d0c$(E-Mail Removed)-u.ac.jp>,
"Ben Bullock" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Is it possible to make a link in an html document something like

And edit the file? No there isn't.

> which would then pop up the user's own favourite text editor to edit the
> file in question?

That'd be great though.

> I know it's possible to have a text editing window on a browser screen, but
> I'd like to be able to send the file to a text editor.

You'd have to do it through something other than HTML markup if I
understand you correctly.
Perhaps you are thinking of a Wiki, but then, you don't use a text
editor to edit it.

> Thanks for any help,

I doubt I gave you any.

leo

--
<http://web0.greatbasin.net/~leo/

Benjamin Niemann

Ben Bullock wrote:

> Is it possible to make a link in an html document something like

> which would then pop up the user's own favourite text editor to edit the
> file in question?
>
> I know it's possible to have a text editing window on a browser screen,
> but I'd like to be able to send the file to a text editor.

You may try to setup a WebDAV server that hosts the file. Some systems
(client side) have native WebDAV support. If you serve your file as
'text/plain', and the client browser is configured to launch a texteditor
for these files, it may upload the modified file back to the server, when
the user saves it.

--
Benjamin Niemann
Email: pink at odahoda dot de

Ben Bullock

"Leonard Blaisdell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <dbsei5$d0c$(E-Mail Removed)-u.ac.jp>,
> "Ben Bullock" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Is it possible to make a link in an html document something like

> And edit the file? No there isn't.

That's a shame.

>> which would then pop up the user's own favourite text editor to edit the
>> file in question?

> That'd be great though.

I was thinking that since a link like news:alt.html seems to work, why not a
text editor pointer? I seem to remember Lynx used to pop up the editor at
some point or other, but perhaps it was something else.

>> I know it's possible to have a text editing window on a browser screen,
>> but
>> I'd like to be able to send the file to a text editor.

> You'd have to do it through something other than HTML markup if I
> understand you correctly.
> Perhaps you are thinking of a Wiki, but then, you don't use a text
> editor to edit it.

Wikipedia uses something like a text editor. I'd rather be able to edit the
text with a real text editor.

>> Thanks for any help,

> I doubt I gave you any.

Thank you for giving me some more insight into this.

Ben Bullock

"Benjamin Niemann" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:dbt2dq$5pl$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Ben Bullock wrote:
>
>> Is it possible to make a link in an html document something like

>> which would then pop up the user's own favourite text editor to edit the
>> file in question?
>>
>> I know it's possible to have a text editing window on a browser screen,
>> but I'd like to be able to send the file to a text editor.

> You may try to setup a WebDAV server that hosts the file. Some systems
> (client side) have native WebDAV support. If you serve your file as
> 'text/plain', and the client browser is configured to launch a texteditor
> for these files, it may upload the modified file back to the server, when
> the user saves it.

Thanks for your answer. There doesn't seem to be an easy way to do this.

Ben Bullock

news:BF08076D.14E2F%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> From: "Ben Bullock" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>>
>> Is it possible to make a link in an html document something like

>> which would then pop up the user's own favourite text editor to edit the
>> file in question?
>>
>> I know it's possible to have a text editing window on a browser screen,
>> but
>> I'd like to be able to send the file to a text editor.

> In the iCab browser for Macs, there is a setting that enables all the
> source
> code to be viewed (and consequently saved) in any text editor you have on
> board. It will also go directly to the file that powers the browser if it
> is
> on your computer so you can change it. I don't know if you can do this in
> other browsers or on other platforms.
>
> dorayme

Ben Bullock

news:BF08076D.14E2F%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> From: "Ben Bullock" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>>
>> Is it possible to make a link in an html document something like

>> which would then pop up the user's own favourite text editor to edit the
>> file in question?
>>
>> I know it's possible to have a text editing window on a browser screen,
>> but
>> I'd like to be able to send the file to a text editor.

> In the iCab browser for Macs, there is a setting that enables all the
> source
> code to be viewed (and consequently saved) in any text editor you have on
> board. It will also go directly to the file that powers the browser if it
> is
> on your computer so you can change it. I don't know if you can do this in
> other browsers or on other platforms.

Thanks for your answer. I'm not necessarily thinking of editing the HTML
source code of the page in question.

Anyway thank you for some more insight. Unfortunately I don't have a Mac
though so I can't try it out.

Jonathan N. Little

Ben Bullock wrote:
> Is it possible to make a link in an html document something like

> which would then pop up the user's own favourite text editor to edit the
> file in question?
>
> I know it's possible to have a text editing window on a browser screen,
> but I'd like to be able to send the file to a text editor.
>
> Thanks for any help,
>
> Ben.

Basically no.

If the file is of type "text/plain" like say a TXT file then *typically*

MSIE on Windows will display it as a non-editable preview in the
browser. This is the case if the user has not changed the default behavior.

For other browsers *typically* they will prompt to either 'download' or
'open with default application', if this is a text editor then your are
in luck!

Now is this file *local* to the user or on the Internet? If this file is
on a remote server, even if the the file opens in the user's text
editor, they could only edit their *copy* and save it to their own local
hard drive. It *will not* update the remote file on the server, that
requires a remote protocol like FTP and proper authorization...

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

John Sullivan

"Ben Bullock" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> "dorayme" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:BF08076D.14E2F%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> From: "Ben Bullock" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>>> Is it possible to make a link in an html document something like
>>> which would then pop up the user's own favourite text editor to edit the
>>> file in question?
>>> I know it's possible to have a text editing window on a browser screen, but
>>> I'd like to be able to send the file to a text editor.

>> In the iCab browser for Macs, there is a setting that enables all the source
>> code to be viewed (and consequently saved) in any text editor you have on
>> board. It will also go directly to the file that powers the browser if it is
>> on your computer so you can change it. I don't know if you can do this in
>> other browsers or on other platforms.

> Thanks for your answer. I'm not necessarily thinking of editing the HTML source
> code of the page in question.

I hope people will make some noise about this.

I remember the first program I used to write messages to other people over
something like the Internet from my Commodore 64 allowed me to choose an
external editor with which to write those messages.

Some text/console web browsers still have this ability.

It's really a shame that we've taken such a huge step backward. There's the
Mozedit plugin, but it takes some finessing to get it to work with newer
versions of the browser, and IIRC the author says that they don't want to do
any more development on it, because they are of the opinion that it should be a
basic feature of the browser.

Whatever happened to $EDITOR?

--
-johnsu01