Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > dvd on a website

Reply
Thread Tools

dvd on a website

 
 
Neredbojias
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-22-2005
With neither quill nor qualm, windandwaves quothed:

> > DVDs use overlays. Does "safy" mean that your website supports
> > overlays?

>
>
> Sorry, can you explain what you mean? I can do overlays on the web
> (z-index, etc...), but do we need that?


It's a video mode designed to prevent pirating. Pragmatically it means
that you probably can't do what you want to.

--
Neredbojias
Contrary to popular belief, it is believable.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Spartanicus
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-22-2005
Neredbojias <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> > DVDs use overlays. Does "safy" mean that your website supports
>> > overlays?

>>
>> Sorry, can you explain what you mean? I can do overlays on the web
>> (z-index, etc...), but do we need that?

>
>It's a video mode designed to prevent pirating. Pragmatically it means
>that you probably can't do what you want to.


Bullshit.

--
Spartanicus
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
xtra
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-22-2005

"dorayme" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:BF0698A2.14DC0%(E-Mail Removed)...
> > From: "windandwaves" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> >
> > Hi Gurus
> >
> > We would like to put a DVD on a website (just a snippet). How do we

convert
> > the DVD to a type of file that can be viewed by people on the internet.
> >
> > we are web safy, but we have no idea about DVDs.
> >
> > Any help appreciated.
> >
> > - Nicolaas and Nathan
> >
> >

>
> Depends on what it is on the DVD that you want to put on the website.

Could
> be almost anything - even a stain (scan and jpg or gif would be the way to
> go on this).
>
> dorayme
>


Well, Dorayme ... i checked for stains and they are not on it. WHat is on
it is ifo files and other files that are specific to DVD technology it
seems. I think we are talking DVD as in the DVD that you can put into a DVD
player (I hope that makes sense).

I bet you must love your scanner...

-Nicolaas


 
Reply With Quote
 
dorayme
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-23-2005
> From: "xtra" <(E-Mail Removed)>

>>> We would like to put a DVD on a website (just a snippet). How do we

> convert
>>> the DVD to a type of file that can be viewed by people on the internet.
>>>
>>>

>>
>> Depends on what it is on the DVD that you want to put on the website.

> Could
>> be almost anything - even a stain (scan and jpg or gif would be the way to
>> go on this).
>>
>> dorayme
>>

>
> Well, Dorayme ... i checked for stains and they are not on it. WHat is on
> it is ifo files and other files that are specific to DVD technology it
> seems. I think we are talking DVD as in the DVD that you can put into a DVD
> player (I hope that makes sense).
>
> I bet you must love your scanner...
>


Well, now hang on a mo, Nicolaas, no need for this sort of thing, I don't
love it that much...

Seriously, about your Q, I was not sure of its exact nature. If it is a
movie, you may want to know about the best format (I like Quicktime
myself)... But it may be that you want to know how to get the things on the
DVD onto your computer free of the DVD, as files. In my case I can run a VCR
or DVD player thru a VCR, or TV into my Mac via some AV plugs on its back (I
have no DVD player in or attached to my Mac normally. You can also get
special PCI cards if this circuitry is not built in. The whole subject of
what to do with the files re the web depends on the nature of the files.

dorayme


 
Reply With Quote
 
Neredbojias
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-23-2005
With neither quill nor qualm, Spartanicus quothed:

> >It's a video mode designed to prevent pirating. Pragmatically it means
> >that you probably can't do what you want to.

>
> Bullshit.


I probably should have added "-on copyrighted material." Of course you
can manipulate home movies as much as you manipulate anything else you
own.

--
Neredbojias
Contrary to popular belief, it is believable.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Spartanicus
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-23-2005
Neredbojias <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> >It's a video mode designed to prevent pirating. Pragmatically it means
>> >that you probably can't do what you want to.

>>
>> Bullshit.

>
>I probably should have added "-on copyrighted material."


Overlay mode is a property of the way the video data is transferred
between the GPU and the other computer hardware. It is not a property of
the DVD and/or it's content, copyrighted or not.

--
Spartanicus
 
Reply With Quote
 
cwdjrxyz@yahoo.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-23-2005


windandwaves wrote:
> Hi Gurus
>
> We would like to put a DVD on a website (just a snippet). How do we convert
> the DVD to a type of file that can be viewed by people on the internet.
>
> we are web safy, but we have no idea about DVDs.
>
> Any help appreciated.
>
> - Nicolaas and Nathan


If I understand you correctly, you have a DVD video from which you wish
to select a portion of the program and convert it to a format that can
be used on the web. I would suggest that you use the .wmv Microsoft
format that plays on the WMP player, because more people have this
player than any other. If you want to use the Real format, it is easy
enough to offer an additional option of the real .rm video format. The
advantage of both of these formats is that they will stream from an
ordinary html server. You will need to be certain the server has the
necessary mime types for these media installed. Your next choice is
what Real calls the audience. You have to choose what bit rate you wish
to use. About 32 Kbps is about all you can use on 56K dialup without
excessive buffering time before streaming starts. Video at this rate
should be displayed on a very small area, and still is not very good.
You can also offer streams at the lower and upper ends of the rates
allowed by DSL or cable connections. Many commercial sites will offer 3
streams at different rates. Both Microsoft and Real have free downloads
for encoders for their formats, and I strongly suggest that you use
these, as they have good templates for selection of the best parameters
automatically. With more experience, you can use both encoders in about
any way you wish.

Next you need a signal to input into the encoders. If you must start
from a DVD rather than mpeg2 or certain digital camera files, there are
2 ways you can go. If you have the latest versions of the Roxio or Nero
media programs, you will be able to put the DVD into your computer and
capture the DVD to the HD in a format that is usable for the encoders,
provided the DVD is not copy protected(Yes, I know there are ways some
use to get around copy protection, as a quick Google search will show).
Then you have to use some video programs to edit out the part of the
program you wish to use. All of this can take quite a bit of time the
first time you do it. The second way is to input the analog audio-video
stream from a DVD player to a device to do the file conversion and
store the converted files on the HD. These devices usually come with
necessary programs. Either internal or external devices are available.
I use the ADS Tech InstantDVD+DV device that connects to the computer
via USB2. It came with capture and editing programs. With such a device
you can capture video-audio to the HD from DVDs, VCR tapes, and TV from
off-the-air, cable, or satellite. It also will capture from the digital
output of some video cameras. While the quality may not be as good as
from professional equipment that is extremely expensive, the quality is
more than good enough for the web and good enough for all except the
best recent movies.

I have recorded several hundred DVDs from sources mentioned above. I
also have put several clips up on my site using the Microsoft and Real
encoders. It does take quite a bit of time to learn to use the several
programs.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Neredbojias
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-24-2005
With neither quill nor qualm, Spartanicus quothed:

> Neredbojias <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >> >It's a video mode designed to prevent pirating. Pragmatically it means
> >> >that you probably can't do what you want to.
> >>
> >> Bullshit.

> >
> >I probably should have added "-on copyrighted material."

>
> Overlay mode is a property of the way the video data is transferred
> between the GPU and the other computer hardware. It is not a property of
> the DVD and/or it's content, copyrighted or not.


Okay. Did I say it was? Anyway, can I copy my copy of "Dorayme Does
Darwin" or not?

--
Neredbojias
Contrary to popular belief, it is believable.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
deploying website or copying website? Flip ASP .Net 1 11-22-2005 06:25 PM
DVD-R & DVD-RW & DVD+R & DVD+RW DVD-WTF Nozza Computer Support 5 12-02-2004 10:06 PM
Help! My Pioneer PC DVD-R116R DVD-ROM Won't Play Recent DVD NTSC R1 DVD Releases Hunter Computer Support 3 08-30-2003 06:06 AM
Help! My Pioneer PC DVD-R116R DVD-ROM Won't Play Recent DVD NTSC R1 DVD Releases Hunter DVD Video 3 08-30-2003 06:06 AM



Advertisments