Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > block access to page

block access to page

duckyman

Hi everyone

Does anyone know if it is possible to block access to a site when
visitors use a specific external link to access it? Some webstats can
so the orignal link which has been used to access a page. I was
wondering if it is possible to use this method to block (or forward)
people who try to visit a page by clicking on a specific external link.
Iīve been linked on a site where I donīt want to be on. Unfortunatly
they donīt want to remove the link. That is why Iīm looking for a way
to prevent people using this link from viewing my page.

Thanks for all your help in advance...

Grz,

ducky

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, duckyman quothed

> Hi everyone
>
> Does anyone know if it is possible to block access to a site when
> visitors use a specific external link to access it? Some webstats can
> so the orignal link which has been used to access a page. I was
> wondering if it is possible to use this method to block (or forward)
> people who try to visit a page by clicking on a specific external link.
> I=B4ve been linked on a site where I don=B4t want to be on. Unfortunatly
> they don=B4t want to remove the link. That is why I=B4m looking for a way
> to prevent people using this link from viewing my page.

Change the filename of your page and all the other links.

--
Neredbojias

lostinspace

Using "htaccess" you may implement referral based redirects (or denial)
using either SetEnvIf or mod-rewrite.

DJ Craig

If you have PHP on your server, you can find out the referer of a
visitor like this:
$_SERVER['HTTP_REFERER'];
You could use that to block certain referers, but it could be hacked
easily.

dorayme

> From: "duckyman" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>
> Hi everyone
>
> Does anyone know if it is possible to block access to a site when
> visitors use a specific external link to access it? Some webstats can
> so the orignal link which has been used to access a page. I was
> wondering if it is possible to use this method to block (or forward)
> people who try to visit a page by clicking on a specific external link.
> Iīve been linked on a site where I donīt want to be on. Unfortunatly
> they donīt want to remove the link. That is why Iīm looking for a way
> to prevent people using this link from viewing my page.
>
> Thanks for all your help in advance...
>
> Grz,
>
> ducky

I'd love to see me wrong, but how could this be at all possible? You can
copy a link from a site and paste it in the url bar and you can type the
same. You could not tell which the user did. I doubt if the action of
clicking a link, which just does auto what you can do manually or semi
manually would be any different?

Perhaps a more brutal approach is called for. How about a wild axe onslaught
on the office of the people who refuse to remove the link?

dorayme

CyberDog

dorayme wrote:

> I'd love to see me wrong, but how could this be at all possible? You can
> copy a link from a site and paste it in the url bar and you can type the
> same. You could not tell which the user did. I doubt if the action of
> clicking a link, which just does auto what you can do manually or semi
> manually would be any different?

By doing that browser sends reffer as blank, you can block that too