Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Tables Behaving Badly

Reply
Thread Tools

Tables Behaving Badly

 
 
Parrot
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-19-2005
Hi,

Usually I'm able to design for both Firefox and Explorer fairly easily.
Some inconsistencies often pop up, but I'm always able to tweak the code in
such a way that both browsers are able to display the page exactly the same.

This time I'll be damned if I can figure out how to resolve this
discrepancy. I'm not even sure why there IS a descrepancy. I've set the
height of each table cell exactly to the height of the image(s) it displays,
and it shows up perfectly in Firefox. But when I look at it in Explorer,
each table is extended slightly height-wise so that the background repeats
itself for a line where it's not supposed to.

Does anybody have any ideas? Have a look:

http://s89202539.onlinehome.us/gmfil...e/template.htm



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
mbstevens
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-20-2005
Parrot wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Usually I'm able to design for both Firefox and Explorer fairly easily.
> Some inconsistencies often pop up, but I'm always able to tweak the code in
> such a way that both browsers are able to display the page exactly the same.
>
> This time I'll be damned if I can figure out how to resolve this
> discrepancy. I'm not even sure why there IS a descrepancy. I've set the
> height of each table cell exactly to the height of the image(s) it displays,
> and it shows up perfectly in Firefox. But when I look at it in Explorer,
> each table is extended slightly height-wise so that the background repeats
> itself for a line where it's not supposed to.
>
> Does anybody have any ideas? Have a look:
>
> http://s89202539.onlinehome.us/gmfil...e/template.htm


Have a look at:
http://www.alistapart.com/articles/imagemap/
....might give you a way to get what you want without
all the image slicing. Image sliced markup is really outdated.
--
mbstevens
http://www.mbstevens.com/


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Parrot
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-20-2005
> Have a look at:
> http://www.alistapart.com/articles/imagemap/
> ...might give you a way to get what you want without
> all the image slicing. Image sliced markup is really outdated.


An image map won't allow me to make the page flexible so that the graphical
text area takes up the full width of the page no matter what resolution the
browser's in. I don't know how you can say that image slicing is outdated,
it's still a widely used, useful technology.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Parrot
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-20-2005
I found the answer, another friend helped. Apparently I had to remove all
the tab characters from the document. Looks like Microsoft won't let me
indent my HTML code in order to make it more readable. I'm a little annoyed
about that... but it worked.


 
Reply With Quote
 
mbstevens
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-20-2005
Parrot wrote:
>>Have a look at:
>>http://www.alistapart.com/articles/imagemap/
>>...might give you a way to get what you want without
>>all the image slicing. Image sliced markup is really outdated.

>
>
> An image map won't allow me to make the page flexible so that the graphical
> text area takes up the full width of the page no matter what resolution the
> browser's in. I don't know how you can say that image slicing is outdated,
> it's still a widely used, useful technology.
>


Did you actually read the article? It is talking about replacements for
image maps, not the old fashioned image maps themselves. As a side
benefit, you learn how to layer text over images in interesting ways.

How did I find out the following information about your page with hardly
more than a cursory glance?

No doctype, no character encoding, there is no 'TOPMARGIN' attribute,
nor a 'LEFTMARGIN' or 'RIGHTMARGIN' attribute, nor a 'BACKGROUND'
attribute. Value of 'VALIGN' cannot be 'center'. There is no attribute
'HEIGHT'.
 
Reply With Quote
 
mbstevens
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-20-2005
mbstevens wrote:
> Parrot wrote:
>
>>> Have a look at:
>>> http://www.alistapart.com/articles/imagemap/
>>> ...might give you a way to get what you want without
>>> all the image slicing. Image sliced markup is really outdated.

>>
>>
>>
>> An image map won't allow me to make the page flexible so that the
>> graphical text area takes up the full width of the page no matter what
>> resolution the browser's in. I don't know how you can say that image
>> slicing is outdated, it's still a widely used, useful technology.

>
>
> Did you actually read the article? It is talking about replacements for
> image maps, not the old fashioned image maps themselves. As a side
> benefit, you learn how to layer text over images in interesting ways.
>
> How did I find out the following information about your page with hardly
> more than a cursory glance?
>
> No doctype, no character encoding, there is no 'TOPMARGIN' attribute,
> nor a 'LEFTMARGIN' or 'RIGHTMARGIN' attribute, nor a 'BACKGROUND'
> attribute. Value of 'VALIGN' cannot be 'center'. There is no attribute
> 'HEIGHT'.

....some of the attrubutes do exist, but are misapplied here.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Mark Parnell
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-20-2005
Previously in alt.html, mbstevens <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

> How did I find out the following information about your page with hardly
> more than a cursory glance?


Ctrl+Shift+H in my browser.

--
Mark Parnell
http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au
alt.html FAQ :: http://html-faq.com/
 
Reply With Quote
 
mbstevens
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-20-2005
Mark Parnell wrote:
> Previously in alt.html, mbstevens <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>
>
>>How did I find out the following information about your page with hardly
>>more than a cursory glance?

>
>
> Ctrl+Shift+H in my browser.
>

Awww, now you're giving hints. Ok, me, too.
Q: Who was the first HTML vampire?
A: Valid the impaler.

(Ducks as beer cans are thrown.)

 
Reply With Quote
 
Parrot
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-20-2005
> Did you actually read the article? It is talking about replacements for
> image maps, not the old fashioned image maps themselves. As a side
> benefit, you learn how to layer text over images in interesting ways.


It's an interesting technique, but I believe it would still limit me to a
single fixed background image, would it not?


 
Reply With Quote
 
Mark Parnell
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-20-2005
Previously in alt.html, mbstevens <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
> Mark Parnell wrote:
>> Ctrl+Shift+H in my browser.
>>

> Awww, now you're giving hints.


Only subtle ones.

> Ok, me, too.
> Q: Who was the first HTML vampire?
> A: Valid the impaler.


That's much more of a hint than mine was.

> (Ducks as beer cans are thrown.)


(Wishes he had an artistic flair so he could draw "ducks as beer cans"
being thrown.)

--
Mark Parnell
http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au
alt.html FAQ :: http://html-faq.com/
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Betamax SMSlisto behaving badly Rusty UK VOIP 0 03-06-2010 12:52 PM
Badly behaving brass dadiOH Computer Support 6 03-10-2008 06:42 PM
Sonic MyDvd Lite behaving badly t8769 Computer Support 1 05-09-2007 04:28 PM
Sonic MyDvd Lite behaving badly t8769 Computer Support 2 05-09-2007 06:40 AM
Default function arguments behaving badly jonny.longrigg@gmail.com Python 3 08-24-2005 04:01 PM



Advertisments