Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > looking to find out how to write equally columns on a page

Reply
Thread Tools

looking to find out how to write equally columns on a page

 
 
Blinky the Shark
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-19-2005
Animesh Kumar wrote:

> Blinky the Shark wrote:


>> Animesh Kumar wrote:


>>>IIRC, once I exported a word-document as an HTML document. When you
>>>click on Save-as in MS word, you can choose the option to be HTML file
>>>and see if it works for you.


>> Ever *looked* at one of those files?


> I did right now. Whew! It is worse than Front-Page junk.


> http://www.eecs.berkeley.edu/~animes...esh_resume.htm


> Have a look at the view-source and you will know what I mean (or perhaps
> I am facing what you mean ).


I already know; thus my question.

--
Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
Killing all Usenet posts from Google Groups
Info: http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html
*ALSO contains links for access to the NON-BETA GG archive interface*
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
dorayme
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-19-2005
> From: Blinky the Shark <(E-Mail Removed)>
>
> Animesh Kumar wrote:
>
>> IIRC, once I exported a word-document as an HTML document. When you
>> click on Save-as in MS word, you can choose the option to be HTML file
>> and see if it works for you.

>
> Ever *looked* at one of those files?
>

Good point and it stops me from using the function any more (except for one
doc - one webpage - that I have not got around to changing). But on my
machines at least it always seems to work brilliantly. If I "knew" that such
horrible code actually worked for everyone likely to see my websites, i
might just say stuff the aesthetics and just use it. (I am talking
generally, I don't know what it does with columns and how it would handle
the variations in font size as set by user)

dorayme

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
repairs
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-20-2005
On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 13:33:46 -0700, Animesh Kumar
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>repairs wrote:
>
>> Don't know enough about flaming, but i do know that I like FPE ...
>>
>> I have two columns of data and want them side by side with spacing
>> even both top to bottom and side by side..............


>
>IIRC, once I exported a word-document as an HTML document. When you
>click on Save-as in MS word, you can choose the option to be HTML file
>and see if it works for you.
>


Does not do it---moves it all in line in one column....
I appreciate the reply.
Joe

>Best regards,
>Animesh
>
><snip>


 
Reply With Quote
 
repairs
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-20-2005
On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 21:52:21 +0100, David Dorward <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Animesh Kumar wrote:
>
>>>>IIRC, once I exported a word-document as an HTML document. When you
>>>>click on Save-as in MS word, you can choose the option to be HTML file
>>>>and see if it works for you.

>
>>> Ever *looked* at one of those files?

>
>> <grins> No! But FPE mess wouldn't be any better either.

>
>Actually, FPE is probably rather better - I don't think its been developed
>for years so it probably predates Microsoft's insane HTML export filters.

.....
Actually, you are right as far as I am concerned...plain, simple but
difficult to do certain things, like aling two columns of data.
Joe
 
Reply With Quote
 
repairs
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-20-2005
On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 09:50:24 +1000, dorayme <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>> From: Blinky the Shark <(E-Mail Removed)>
>>
>> Animesh Kumar wrote:
>>
>>> IIRC, once I exported a word-document as an HTML document. When you
>>> click on Save-as in MS word, you can choose the option to be HTML file
>>> and see if it works for you.

>>
>> Ever *looked* at one of those files?
>>

>Good point and it stops me from using the function any more (except for one
>doc - one webpage - that I have not got around to changing). But on my
>machines at least it always seems to work brilliantly. If I "knew" that such
>horrible code actually worked for everyone likely to see my websites, i
>might just say stuff the aesthetics and just use it. (I am talking
>generally, I don't know what it does with columns and how it would handle
>the variations in font size as set by user)
>
>dorayme

you are right on target...columns just don't seem to be possible. I
have tried tables and it is pretty close...if you really don't care
about alignment .
Joe
 
Reply With Quote
 
Animesh Kumar
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-20-2005
repairs wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 13:33:46 -0700, Animesh Kumar
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>
>>repairs wrote:
>>
>>
>>>Don't know enough about flaming, but i do know that I like FPE ...
>>>
>>>I have two columns of data and want them side by side with spacing
>>>even both top to bottom and side by side..............

>
>
>>IIRC, once I exported a word-document as an HTML document. When you
>>click on Save-as in MS word, you can choose the option to be HTML file
>>and see if it works for you.
>>

>
>
> Does not do it---moves it all in line in one column....
> I appreciate the reply.
> Joe
>
>
>>Best regards,
>>Animesh
>>
>><snip>

>
>


Now tell me, How many two-column pages are u going to make? If it just
one or a few, use a two column DIV approach (CSS style). One example is
here:

http://www.mandarindesign.com/2004/01/test-1.html

Best regards,
Animesh
 
Reply With Quote
 
chrcollins@gmail.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-22-2005


repairs wrote:
> Don't know enough about flaming, but i do know that I like FPE ...
>
> I have two columns of data and want them side by side with spacing
> even both top to bottom and side by side. [...]
> I have tried it with a table but the top line spacing/alignment is not
> the same--does not allow/permit the first line to be at the position
> number one on line number one in both columns--even if I manually
> enter. The 'margins' seem to adjust until the data reaches it and
> then the cursor moves to the next line thereby 'adjusting' the other
> column.
>
> Sounds goofy, but it is probably me.
> this is just a text file and I will enter it manually again, if
> necessary.
> If I copy and paste I need to deal with the yellow tags.....
>
> I appreciate the time.
> Joe
>
> On 19 Jul 2005 07:42:59 -0700, "Travis Newbury"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >(Oh, and don't get into a flaming war with everyone that tells you that
> >FP stinks. It does no one any good)


I'm not going to get into an FP flamewar, but I will say that this post
would be a lot easier to help with if we were talking about code rather
than what the syptoms look like in FP. Any chance the website is up
somewhere we can see it, or that you can post the offending code?

 
Reply With Quote
 
repairs
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-23-2005
Hello and Thanks to All who posted help.
I appreciate it.

I wanted to be sure all knew it was Front Page Express and not Front
Page though.

It seemed too 'goofy' for FPE...I moved the code to netscape composer
and it seems to be able to accommodate what I needed to do.

I have the example at www.route9w.com/venluejoe.htm for reference.
We/I are/am generally happy with the result.

Of course the only(or one of the main)problem, is that none of the
bookmarks/anchors on the page will work in IE.....if that is an easy
one to solve, I could use the resolution.

Again, Thanks to All!

Joe


 
Reply With Quote
 
repairs
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-24-2005
>
>Of course the only(or one of the main)problem, is that none of the
>bookmarks/anchors on the page will work in IE.....if that is an easy
>one to solve, I could use the resolution.
>

...Figured it out--Again, Thanks to all for the help.

Anyone have positive comments about using Mozilla Composer?

Joe
 
Reply With Quote
 
Jonathan N. Little
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-24-2005
repairs wrote:

>>Of course the only(or one of the main)problem, is that none of the
>>bookmarks/anchors on the page will work in IE.....if that is an easy
>>one to solve, I could use the resolution.
>>

>
> ..Figured it out--Again, Thanks to all for the help.
>
> Anyone have positive comments about using Mozilla Composer?
>
> Joe


It free and comes with Moz Suite. Renders with Gecko...


Might prefer NVu, a standalone version with more features www.nvu.com,
it is also free to use...

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[newbie] problem making equally spaced value array with linspace Jean Dubois Python 4 12-18-2012 03:37 PM
Generating equally-spaced floats with least rounding error Steven D'Aprano Python 24 09-26-2011 12:58 AM
Messages to Ruby List/Forum/etc. not arriving equally? Markus Fischer Ruby 4 06-15-2011 11:28 AM
open source pong or equally simple game Dr_Locke_Z2A C Programming 4 12-23-2005 10:16 PM
How to make threads share CPU (almost) equally? TheOne Java 3 03-10-2005 02:14 PM



Advertisments