Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Adding search functionality to a webpage

Adding search functionality to a webpage

Anders K. Jacobsen

Hi I have a webpage with aprox 500 ordinarily html pages. How can i add
serach functionality to these pages?

I have the following:
Windows 2003 with asp enabled maybe asp.net. I do NOT have permission to
install any software on the server though. The best solution as I see it
would be thaty i somehow could generate an index on my local machine and
upload this index to the website and eg. by using asp create some sort of
serach index.

But i do not want to do thios my self. m looking for open source soulution
or payware (about 100$ limit)

Any suggestions?

Thanks in regards
Anders

data64

"Anders K. Jacobsen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:42dce712$0$70227
$(E-Mail Removed):

> Hi I have a webpage with aprox 500 ordinarily html pages. How can i add
> serach functionality to these pages?
>
> I have the following:
> Windows 2003 with asp enabled maybe asp.net. I do NOT have permission to
> install any software on the server though. The best solution as I see it
> would be thaty i somehow could generate an index on my local machine and
> upload this index to the website and eg. by using asp create some sort of
> serach index.
>
> But i do not want to do thios my self. m looking for open source soulution
> or payware (about 100$ limit)

Have you considered just using Google ?
If your pages are in Google's index then see
<http://www.google.ca/searchcode.html>

I have used Swish-e and played with ht-dig. Both are open source and free,
but need Perl.

data64

Adrienne

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Anders K. Jacobsen" <(E-Mail Removed)>
writing in news:42dce712$0$70227$(E-Mail Removed) k:

> Hi I have a webpage with aprox 500 ordinarily html pages. How can i add
> serach functionality to these pages?
>
> I have the following:
> Windows 2003 with asp enabled maybe asp.net. I do NOT have permission
> to install any software on the server though. The best solution as I
> see it would be thaty i somehow could generate an index on my local
> machine and upload this index to the website and eg. by using asp
> create some sort of serach index.
>
> But i do not want to do thios my self. m looking for open source
> soulution or payware (about 100$ limit)
>
> Any suggestions?

You can use the filesystem object. Post to an ASP classic group
(microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general) or a .net group (net will be in
the name), and someone should have a solution for you.

--
Adrienne Boswell
http://www.cavalcade-of-coding.info

Andy Dingley

On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 13:42:06 +0200, "Anders K. Jacobsen" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I do NOT have permission to
>install any software on the server though.

Change server.

dorayme

> From: "Anders K. Jacobsen" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>
> Hi I have a webpage with aprox 500 ordinarily html pages. How can i add
> serach functionality to these pages?
>
> I have the following:
> Windows 2003 with asp enabled maybe asp.net. I do NOT have permission to
> install any software on the server though. The best solution as I see it
> would be thaty i somehow could generate an index on my local machine and
> upload this index to the website and eg. by using asp create some sort of
> serach index.
>
> But i do not want to do thios my self. m looking for open source soulution
> or payware (about 100$ limit)
>
> Any suggestions?

Yes, try Atomz - www.atomz.com. It's free (under mostly quite acceptable
conditions) and very good. I have used it on a commercial site for ages and
everyone seems happy. But I am glad you asked because I am interested in
what others might also suggest.

dorayme

Anders K. Jacobsen

> Yes, try Atomz - www.atomz.com. It's free (under mostly quite acceptable
> conditions) and very good. I have used it on a commercial site for ages
> and
> everyone seems happy. But I am glad you asked because I am interested in
> what others might also suggest.

Looks interesting. And if you mean that the serive stable im almost hooked.
Could be interesting what thay cose with no banner. They don't seem to tell
it anywhere.

Thanks for your suggestion! (Though still looking for toher suggestions if
any)
Anders