Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Links

Links

Blinky the Shark

Neredbojias wrote:
> With neither quill nor qualm, Blinky the Shark quothed

>> Joel Shepherd wrote:

>> > My mouse has only one button, you insensitive slob!

>> Yeah, I used to have a defective mouse, too...wait, maybe it's not your
>> *mouse* that's defective...

> Yeah. Push one of my wife's buttons and see how defective her mouse
> becomes.

<chuckling>

--
Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

dorayme

> From: Blinky the Shark <(E-Mail Removed)>
>
> Joel Shepherd wrote:
>
>> My mouse has only one button, you insensitive slob!

> Yeah, I used to have a defective mouse, too...wait, maybe it's not your
> *mouse* that's defective...

Sounds right about the OP, what a horrible thing he said and for no good
reason at all.

But, Blinky, one button mice can be nice. Even better is the no button one -
like the Apple Pro USB white/clear one. Alright already, it is effectively
one button, you press it, ever so sensitive and such a good sounding soft
click. How about the general principle of being able to do more with less.
All this left and right clicking, scrolling and stuff! On my machines, the
functions for right click are (settable) temporal controls: holding the
mouse down a few parts of a sec will trigger a close contextual menu and you
have it all done before you release the one button.

Each to his own I guess. Actually I am designing a mouse for those who like
lots of things on it. So far my prototype is a bit clumsy. I have this old
extended keyboard and I sort of fitted a wheel on a corner and you sort of
balance it and with a bit of training can get to all sorts of keys to do all
sorts of things... Personally I don't like it but it may have a market for
you guys that like to do a lot with a lot...

dorayme

Blinky the Shark

dorayme wrote:
>> From: Blinky the Shark <(E-Mail Removed)>

>> Joel Shepherd wrote:

>>> My mouse has only one button, you insensitive slob!

>> Yeah, I used to have a defective mouse, too...wait, maybe it's not your
>> *mouse* that's defective...

> Sounds right about the OP, what a horrible thing he said and for no good
> reason at all.

> But, Blinky, one button mice can be nice. Even better is the no button one -
> like the Apple Pro USB white/clear one. Alright already, it is effectively
> one button, you press it, ever so sensitive and such a good sounding soft
> click. How about the general principle of being able to do more with less.

I'm happy with three. It's not like I'm pushing for nine or ten.

> All this left and right clicking, scrolling and stuff! On my machines, the
> functions for right click are (settable) temporal controls: holding the
> mouse down a few parts of a sec will trigger a close contextual menu and you
> have it all done before you release the one button.

Yeah, I used to have a slow mouse, too.

--
Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

dorayme

> From: Blinky the Shark <(E-Mail Removed)>
>
>> All this left and right clicking, scrolling and stuff! On my machines, the
>> functions for right click are (settable) temporal controls: holding the
>> mouse down a few parts of a sec will trigger a close contextual menu and you
>> have it all done before you release the one button.

> Yeah, I used to have a slow mouse, too.

Texan farmer on a visit to Israel: "So, how big is your farm Mr Goldberg?"
"Well, see that cow over there, that's the East boundary, that shed over to
your right about 300 yards, that's the North edge...". "Why hell!" says the
Texan, "I can drive all day long back on my farm in Texas and still not
reach my boundaries!" And the reply was "Ah yes... I had a car like that
once already!"

dorayme

Blinky the Shark

dorayme wrote:
>> From: Blinky the Shark <(E-Mail Removed)>

>>> All this left and right clicking, scrolling and stuff! On my machines, the
>>> functions for right click are (settable) temporal controls: holding the
>>> mouse down a few parts of a sec will trigger a close contextual menu and you
>>> have it all done before you release the one button.

>> Yeah, I used to have a slow mouse, too.

> Texan farmer on a visit to Israel: "So, how big is your farm Mr Goldberg?"
> "Well, see that cow over there, that's the East boundary, that shed over to
> your right about 300 yards, that's the North edge...". "Why hell!" says the
> Texan, "I can drive all day long back on my farm in Texas and still not
> reach my boundaries!" And the reply was "Ah yes... I had a car like that
> once already!"

Ayup. Having heard jokes on that theme for the last 50 or so years, I'm
thinking that my comment was shaped by them, if not consciously.

--
Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

Jonathan N. Little

dorayme wrote:
<snip>
> But, Blinky, one button mice can be nice. Even better is the no button one -
> like the Apple Pro USB white/clear one. Alright already, it is effectively
> one button, you press it, ever so sensitive and such a good sounding soft
> click. How about the general principle of being able to do more with less.
> All this left and right clicking, scrolling and stuff! On my machines, the
> functions for right click are (settable) temporal controls: holding the
> mouse down a few parts of a sec will trigger a close contextual menu and you
> have it all done before you release the one button.

Must be a b*tch drawing in a graphic prog with that thing!

I fell in love with my scroll wheel and find my self lost when faced
with a mouse without one. The thumb button hasn't been of much use, but
at least with Logitech, I cannot program it to a key that would be of
use in a game....

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

Evert | Collab

Jonathan N. Little wrote:
> dorayme wrote:
> <snip>
>
>> But, Blinky, one button mice can be nice. Even better is the no button
>> one -
>> like the Apple Pro USB white/clear one. Alright already, it is
>> effectively
>> one button, you press it, ever so sensitive and such a good sounding soft
>> click. How about the general principle of being able to do more with
>> less.
>> All this left and right clicking, scrolling and stuff! On my machines,
>> the
>> functions for right click are (settable) temporal controls: holding the
>> mouse down a few parts of a sec will trigger a close contextual menu
>> and you
>> have it all done before you release the one button.

Seems as a kinda weird statement.. how can you ever be more efficient
with one hand, than if you would train your vingers [remember why they
put more than 1 key on the keyboard, same principal; but more extreme ]

Evert

dorayme

> From: "Jonathan N. Little" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>
> dorayme wrote:
> <snip>
>> But, Blinky, one button mice can be nice. Even better is the no button one -
>> like the Apple Pro USB white/clear one. Alright already, it is effectively
>> one button, you press it, ever so sensitive and such a good sounding soft
>> click. How about the general principle of being able to do more with less.
>> All this left and right clicking, scrolling and stuff! On my machines, the
>> functions for right click are (settable) temporal controls: holding the
>> mouse down a few parts of a sec will trigger a close contextual menu and you
>> have it all done before you release the one button.

> Must be a b*tch drawing in a graphic prog with that thing!

Depends on one's needs. Personally, on a job, I have nothing better to do
with both of my hands than use them for the work. Perhaps you need to keep
one spare for something else?

Say more as to what you imagine would be the problem? I find my Apple Pro
USB mouse very precise and easy to use in graphic programs.

On a mac at least, one can modify the action of the mouse in various ways. I
have mentioned the time based contextual menu that pops up next to the
arrow. There are also modifier keys, pressing command on the keyboard allows
scrolling by simply moving the mouse up and down (a hand appears as in
Illustrator for positioning the canvas...). And so on... It is a different
way of doing things using the features that already exist and are quite - er
um... - handy like the keyboard.

Each to his own of course but it suits me because too much mouse work gives
me problems with my hands, wrists, tendons ... the less and simpler to do
with a mouse the better...

dorayme

dorayme

> From: Evert | Collab <(E-Mail Removed)>
>
>> dorayme wrote: <snip>
>>
>>> But, Blinky, one button mice can be nice. Even better is the no button one -
>>> like the Apple Pro USB white/clear one. Alright already, it is effectively
>>> one button, you press it, ever so sensitive and such a good sounding soft
>>> click. How about the general principle of being able to do more with less.
>>> All this left and right clicking, scrolling and stuff! On my machines, the
>>> functions for right click are (settable) temporal controls: holding the
>>> mouse down a few parts of a sec will trigger a close contextual menu and you
>>> have it all done before you release the one button.
>>>

> Seems as a kinda weird statement.. how can you ever be more efficient with one
> hand, than if you would train your vingers [remember why they put more than 1
> key on the keyboard, same principal; but more extreme ]

You need to think this through in a bigger context and it will not seem so
weird. If you want more I am always happy to oblige...

dorayme

dorayme

?
> Seems as a kinda weird statement.. how can you ever be more efficient with one
> hand, than if you would train your vingers [remember why they put more than 1
> key on the keyboard, same principal; but more extreme ]

Just another thought about your perplexity: I don't think you realise just
how weird is the statement. The full extent of its weirdness has to do with
what might be called The Zen of Mousing (the title, as it happens, of a
forthcoming book of mine).

dorayme