Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > nvu and "frames"

nvu and "frames"

melissa.gruber@gmail.com

I recently downloaded nvu so i could teach myself how to make websites.
My background is not at all in design or websites but I did take a
couple programming courses back in highschool and know basic html.

I understand that nvu doesn't make frames for you but they have a demo
on their website explaining how to simulate frames with cascading style
sheets. I got confused because while it explains the code, it doesn't
explain how to use it in nvu. The demo makes reference to defining the
rules as ids and not classes but there is no such option to create that
type of rule. I tried using the elements defined by a selector option,
thinking it sounded close but the demo also never explains how to
assign these ids or selectors to text or images that go in the "frames"
that the rules are supposed to make. I tried defining the rules as
classes instead because I figured out how to use classes, but the
"frames" keep moving around when i try to add things to them.

Can anyone shed light on what i'm doing wrong?? Or should i just ditch
nvu for something else (that won't cost me an arm and a leg)?

Marc Bradshaw

> I recently downloaded nvu so i could teach myself how to make websites.
> My background is not at all in design or websites but I did take a
> couple programming courses back in highschool and know basic html.
>
> I understand that nvu doesn't make frames for you but they have a demo
> on their website explaining how to simulate frames with cascading style
> sheets. I got confused because while it explains the code, it doesn't
> explain how to use it in nvu. The demo makes reference to defining the
> rules as ids and not classes but there is no such option to create that
> type of rule. I tried using the elements defined by a selector option,
> thinking it sounded close but the demo also never explains how to
> assign these ids or selectors to text or images that go in the "frames"
> that the rules are supposed to make. I tried defining the rules as
> classes instead because I figured out how to use classes, but the
> "frames" keep moving around when i try to add things to them.

#blah { ... }

or

div#blah { ... }

> Can anyone shed light on what i'm doing wrong?? Or should i just ditch
> nvu for something else (that won't cost me an arm and a leg)?

Textpad - get from www.textpad.com (doesn't cost an arm or a leg)

Notepad - get from start > run > notepad (doesn't even cost a finger)

Marc

Leif K-Brooks

Marc Bradshaw wrote:
> Notepad - get from start > run > notepad (doesn't even cost a finger)

Really? Seems to cost $199.99.

jb

> I understand that nvu doesn't make frames for you but they have a demo
> on their website explaining how to simulate frames with cascading style
> sheets.

Their "frame simulator" fails completely in IE.

http://www.nvu.com/demos/frames/frameSimulate.html

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

jb wrote:

[someone else wrote:]
>> I understand that nvu doesn't make frames for you but they have a
>> demo on their website explaining how to simulate frames with
>> cascading style sheets.

> Their "frame simulator" fails completely in IE.
>
> http://www.nvu.com/demos/frames/frameSimulate.html

Please see the thousands of posts regarding Internet Exploder not
recognizing or supporting "position: fixed".

(Also, please don't strip quoting attributes. Thanks.)

--
-bts
-This space intentionally left blank.

Jim Scott

On 11 Jul 2005 17:34:37 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> I recently downloaded nvu so i could teach myself how to make websites.
> My background is not at all in design or websites but I did take a
> couple programming courses back in highschool and know basic html.
>
> I understand that nvu doesn't make frames for you but they have a demo
> on their website explaining how to simulate frames with cascading style
> sheets. I got confused because while it explains the code, it doesn't
> explain how to use it in nvu. The demo makes reference to defining the
> rules as ids and not classes but there is no such option to create that
> type of rule. I tried using the elements defined by a selector option,
> thinking it sounded close but the demo also never explains how to
> assign these ids or selectors to text or images that go in the "frames"
> that the rules are supposed to make. I tried defining the rules as
> classes instead because I figured out how to use classes, but the
> "frames" keep moving around when i try to add things to them.
>
> Can anyone shed light on what i'm doing wrong?? Or should i just ditch
> nvu for something else (that won't cost me an arm and a leg)?

I use nvu, having moved from Fpage.
True it will not create frames, but it coped with them if you create then
elsewhere. During the learning process I found notepad++
http://notepad-plus.sourceforge.net/uk/about.php
I then went here http://www.w3schools.com/html/html_frames.asp to learn
what to do.
I sue them as photo pages.
--
Jim
Tyneside UK

Jim Scott

On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 14:12:51 GMT, Jim Scott wrote:

> On 11 Jul 2005 17:34:37 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
>> I recently downloaded nvu so i could teach myself how to make websites.
>> My background is not at all in design or websites but I did take a
>> couple programming courses back in highschool and know basic html.
>>
>> I understand that nvu doesn't make frames for you but they have a demo
>> on their website explaining how to simulate frames with cascading style
>> sheets. I got confused because while it explains the code, it doesn't
>> explain how to use it in nvu. The demo makes reference to defining the
>> rules as ids and not classes but there is no such option to create that
>> type of rule. I tried using the elements defined by a selector option,
>> thinking it sounded close but the demo also never explains how to
>> assign these ids or selectors to text or images that go in the "frames"
>> that the rules are supposed to make. I tried defining the rules as
>> classes instead because I figured out how to use classes, but the
>> "frames" keep moving around when i try to add things to them.
>>
>> Can anyone shed light on what i'm doing wrong?? Or should i just ditch
>> nvu for something else (that won't cost me an arm and a leg)?

> I use nvu, having moved from Fpage.
> True it will not create frames, but it coped with them if you create then
> elsewhere. During the learning process I found notepad++
> http://notepad-plus.sourceforge.net/uk/about.php
> I then went here http://www.w3schools.com/html/html_frames.asp to learn
> what to do.
> I sue them as photo pages.

OOPS for sue read use!
Blush.
--
Jim
Tyneside UK

Paul Watt

"Jim Scott" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsehqyz3mh9hc$(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 14:12:51 GMT, Jim Scott wrote:
>
>> On 11 Jul 2005 17:34:37 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>
>>> I recently downloaded nvu so i could teach myself how to make websites.
>>> My background is not at all in design or websites but I did take a
>>> couple programming courses back in highschool and know basic html.
>>>
>>> I understand that nvu doesn't make frames for you but they have a demo
>>> on their website explaining how to simulate frames with cascading style
>>> sheets. I got confused because while it explains the code, it doesn't
>>> explain how to use it in nvu. The demo makes reference to defining the
>>> rules as ids and not classes but there is no such option to create that
>>> type of rule. I tried using the elements defined by a selector option,
>>> thinking it sounded close but the demo also never explains how to
>>> assign these ids or selectors to text or images that go in the "frames"
>>> that the rules are supposed to make. I tried defining the rules as
>>> classes instead because I figured out how to use classes, but the
>>> "frames" keep moving around when i try to add things to them.
>>>
>>> Can anyone shed light on what i'm doing wrong?? Or should i just ditch
>>> nvu for something else (that won't cost me an arm and a leg)?

>> I use nvu, having moved from Fpage.
>> True it will not create frames, but it coped with them if you create then
>> elsewhere. During the learning process I found notepad++
>> http://notepad-plus.sourceforge.net/uk/about.php
>> I then went here http://www.w3schools.com/html/html_frames.asp to learn
>> what to do.
>> I sue them as photo pages.

> OOPS for sue read use!
> Blush.
> --
> Jim
> Tyneside UK

Why on earth would you want to use frames??
Paul

Jim Scott

On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 17:41:53 +0100, Paul Watt wrote:

> "Jim Scott" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> newsehqyz3mh9hc$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> I use nvu, having moved from Fpage.
>>> True it will not create frames, but it coped with them if you create then
>>> elsewhere. During the learning process I found notepad++
>>> http://notepad-plus.sourceforge.net/uk/about.php
>>> I then went here http://www.w3schools.com/html/html_frames.asp to learn
>>> what to do.
>>> I sue them as photo pages.

>> OOPS for sue read use!
>> Blush.
>> --
>> Jim
>> Tyneside UK

> Why on earth would you want to use frames??
> Paul

How else would I do this
http://freespace.virgin.net/mr.jimsc...cs_frames.html
--
Jim
Tyneside UK

David Dorward

Jim Scott wrote:

>> Why on earth would you want to use frames??

> How else would I do this
> http://freespace.virgin.net/mr.jimsc...cs_frames.html

http://www.porjes.com/butterflies/ (and no, you don't have to have /that/
specific layout, you can have a simple column just as easily ... more
easily in fact)

Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

NVU and FTP site manager f.baffetti@gmail.com HTML 1 01-04-2006 02:17 AM
Domain registration and webhosting and Nvu Martin R. Howell Computer Support 1 11-02-2005 09:34 PM
Nvu yves.leroy Firefox 0 06-17-2005 07:37 AM
Nvu? yves.leroy Firefox 1 06-16-2005 08:21 PM
HELP? Composer Problematic Mozilla/Nvu/Netscape glob Firefox 1 12-29-2004 05:51 PM

Advertisments