Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > text field

Reply
Thread Tools

text field

 
 
CyberDog
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-08-2005
Hello,

What is the text field type/setting that forces continius set of
characters to brake into the next line rather than displaying horizontal
scroll?

I hope you know what I mean...

Thank you.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Mark Parnell
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-08-2005
Previously in alt.html, CyberDog <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

> What is the text field type/setting that forces continius set of
> characters to brake into the next line rather than displaying horizontal
> scroll?


There isn't one.

Server-side, in your language of choice, you can insert spaces, hyphens
or other characters which allow breaking after every nn characters. But
there is nothing in HTML to achieve what you want.

--
Mark Parnell
http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au
alt.html FAQ :: http://html-faq.com/
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
CyberDog
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-08-2005
Mark Parnell wrote:
> Server-side, in your language of choice, you can insert spaces, hyphens
> or other characters which allow breaking after every nn characters. But
> there is nothing in HTML to achieve what you want.


Actually the problem is server side because script outputs a very long
URL that cannot be placed in <a> tag therefore it needs to be placed in
the textbox so my page would not be corrupt.

Inserting brakes after some number of characters could be easy done but
then when the user copys the url it will be broken apart when pasted...
 
Reply With Quote
 
Mark Parnell
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-08-2005
Previously in alt.html, CyberDog <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

> Actually the problem is server side because script outputs a very long
> URL that cannot be placed in <a> tag


Why not?

> therefore it needs to be placed in
> the textbox so my page would not be corrupt.


Define corrupt in this context?

> Inserting brakes after some number of characters could be easy done but
> then when the user copys the url it will be broken apart when pasted...


Chances are that would happen regardless of whether the browser wrapped
the text itself, or you add characters in to make it wrap.

--
Mark Parnell
http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au
alt.html FAQ :: http://html-faq.com/
 
Reply With Quote
 
CyberDog
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-08-2005
Mark Parnell wrote:
> Why not?
> Define corrupt in this context?


The link presented to user is for safe keeping, not for clicking on,
therefore it must be displayed as regular text so the user could copy
it. Without textbox the page horizontally scrolls and I don't like it


> Chances are that would happen regardless of whether the browser wrapped
> the text itself, or you add characters in to make it wrap.


I will try &nbsp;
 
Reply With Quote
 
CyberDog
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-08-2005
CyberDog wrote:
> --


Oh, yes, feel free to see for yourself:
http://www.omega17.net/filebuffer/

Just choose .txt or something then click subbmit if you want to try it out.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Jukka K. Korpela
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-08-2005
CyberDog <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Oh, yes, feel free to see for yourself:
> http://www.omega17.net/filebuffer/


Why don't you start by explaining what you are really doing, and then
specify exactly the issue that bothers you?

> Just choose .txt or something then click subbmit if you want to try
> it out.


What do you mean by choosing .txt, and which of the Greek or Hebrew or
whatever buttons is "subbmit"? And what is that "it" that we should
try?

I can only see that you have some cryptic text prefilled in a textarea.
That's almost always a sure symptom of not understanding what a
textarea is.

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/
Pages about Web authoring: http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/www.html


 
Reply With Quote
 
CyberDog
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-09-2005
Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
> Why don't you start by explaining what you are really doing, and then
> specify exactly the issue that bothers you?


I have made a file shareing scipt, user uploads a file, it's encoded
with a random code that he gets in a form of a link at the end, and a
delete dink as well. The file can only be accessed with that link, and
youser can select the max usage number or a time limit in days.

The problem is how to display a long set od characters without
corrupting the page, no spaces no breaks.

I've fixed it by useing a input field and a small java script that
selects all of the text when the field is clicked on.


> What do you mean by choosing .txt, and which of the Greek or Hebrew or
> whatever buttons is "subbmit"?


The only button on the page.

>And what is that "it" that we should
> try?


Whell, no, just the kind person who acctually tried to help me....

> I can only see that you have some cryptic text prefilled in a textarea.
> That's almost always a sure symptom of not understanding what a
> textarea is.


It was a disabled field with disclaimer in it. Yes, it was a bad idea
not by missusing the textarea but because the great and holy IE does not
allow scrolling disabled fields, it has been replaced by plain text.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Jukka K. Korpela
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-09-2005
CyberDog <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> What do you mean by choosing .txt, and which of the Greek or
>> Hebrew or whatever buttons is "subbmit"?

>
> The only button on the page.


(The page actually contains several buttons.)

You are not really helping us to help you, are you?

Please do not change your forged From field before you get a clue.
Thank you in advance.

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/
Pages about Web authoring: http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/www.html


 
Reply With Quote
 
CyberDog
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-09-2005
Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
> (The page actually contains several buttons.)


Sorry, I asumed that you know what "Browse" means, other than that there
are two drop-lists and one button that subbmint the form, other are
links (AFAIK).

> You are not really helping us to help you, are you?


No more help is needed as I have fixed all the issues, thank you.

> Please do not change your forged From field before you get a clue.
> Thank you in advance.


I do not understand? What was or will be changed?
The script is only a day old, I'm constantly changing it... what where
you reffering to and it isn't there now?
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
javascript validation for a not required field, field is onlyrequired if another field has a value jr Javascript 3 07-08-2010 10:33 AM
1.Enter space bar for field names and save the field.The field shoud not get saved and an alert should be there as"Space bars are not allowed" Sound Javascript 2 09-28-2006 02:43 PM
Placing the selection of a list field in a text field Jerry Manner HTML 5 06-09-2005 01:52 PM
writing from hidden field to text field Roy Adams Javascript 1 12-20-2004 03:47 AM
Changing drop-down field to text field. ehm Javascript 2 09-24-2003 07:00 PM



Advertisments