Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Logo, colours in web context

Logo, colours in web context

Nik Coughin

Hi everyone,

I am wanting to get some feedback on this logo:
http://nrkn.com/temp/hexColours.png

I personally prefer the leftmost version on the bottom row, but I have been
staring at it for so long now that I can't look at it objectively. Viva la
Usenet!

I have prepared it in a range of variations using blue and grey. It is
intended primarily for use in a web environment so a major consideration is
which of the colour sets would carry through well to other elements on a web
page (hence x-post to alt.html).

Any general feedback on the logo itself would also be appreciated. Any
thoughts on doing it in other colours would be nice too.

I am also thinking about perhaps adding a subtle drop shadow to each of the
layers, and/or making each layer slightly transparent, but I think perhaps
the strength of the logo lies in its clean lines and that this might detract
from that.

TIA!

--
"Come to think of it, there are already a million monkeys on a million
typewriters, and the Usenet is NOTHING like Shakespeare!" - Blair Houghton

Roy Schestowitz

Nik Coughin wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I am wanting to get some feedback on this logo:
> URL
>
> I personally prefer the leftmost version on the bottom row, but I have
> been
> staring at it for so long now that I can't look at it objectively. Viva
> la Usenet!
>
> I have prepared it in a range of variations using blue and grey. It is
> intended primarily for use in a web environment so a major consideration
> is which of the colour sets would carry through well to other elements on
> a web page (hence x-post to alt.html).
>
> Any general feedback on the logo itself would also be appreciated. Any
> thoughts on doing it in other colours would be nice too.
>
> I am also thinking about perhaps adding a subtle drop shadow to each of
> the layers, and/or making each layer slightly transparent, but I think
> perhaps the strength of the logo lies in its clean lines and that this
> might detract from that.
>
> TIA!

Top row, third from the left caught my eyes.

Roy

graphicjak

I think the V shows up best on the bottom row of tonal variations. The
colors suck. Try RGB, just a thought. It might be nicer (but maybe not)
if the honeycombs on the V and the background lined up and were not
offset.

JAK

Mitja

On Thu, 07 Jul 2005 07:37:00 +0200, Roy Schestowitz
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Nik Coughin wrote:
>
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> I am wanting to get some feedback on this logo:
>> http://nrkn.com/temp/hexColours.png

> Top row, third from the left caught my eyes.

Same here: second and third one in the top row.

I don't like the colors, they're way too intensive. Try reducing the
saturation; with that, you will probably find a color scheme that's
pleasing too look at and at the same time not as dull as the grey tones.

mbstevens

Nik Coughin wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I am wanting to get some feedback on this logo:
> http://nrkn.com/temp/hexColours.png
>
> I personally prefer the leftmost version on the bottom row, but I have been
> staring at it for so long now that I can't look at it objectively. Viva la
> Usenet!
>
> I have prepared it in a range of variations using blue and grey. It is
> intended primarily for use in a web environment so a major consideration is
> which of the colour sets would carry through well to other elements on a web
> page (hence x-post to alt.html).
>
> Any general feedback on the logo itself would also be appreciated. Any
> thoughts on doing it in other colours would be nice too.
>
> I am also thinking about perhaps adding a subtle drop shadow to each of the
> layers, and/or making each layer slightly transparent, but I think perhaps
> the strength of the logo lies in its clean lines and that this might detract
> from that.
>
> TIA!

Not enough information. Even a tiny touch of a third color on the page,
like a bright orange letter for instance, will change which one is
better. The only way to do this kind of thing is to make a mockup with
all elements on the page and fiddle with the way the whole looks together.
--
mbstevens
http://www.mbstevens.com/

SimBrain

They're all the same

"Nik Coughin" <nrkn!no-spam!@woosh.co.nz> wrote in message
news:Q11ze.13682$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi everyone,
>
> I am wanting to get some feedback on this logo:
> http://nrkn.com/temp/hexColours.png
>
> I personally prefer the leftmost version on the bottom row, but I have

been
> staring at it for so long now that I can't look at it objectively. Viva

la
> Usenet!
>
> I have prepared it in a range of variations using blue and grey. It is
> intended primarily for use in a web environment so a major consideration

is
> which of the colour sets would carry through well to other elements on a

web
> page (hence x-post to alt.html).
>
> Any general feedback on the logo itself would also be appreciated. Any
> thoughts on doing it in other colours would be nice too.
>
> I am also thinking about perhaps adding a subtle drop shadow to each of

the
> layers, and/or making each layer slightly transparent, but I think perhaps
> the strength of the logo lies in its clean lines and that this might

detract
> from that.
>
> TIA!
>
> --
> "Come to think of it, there are already a million monkeys on a million
> typewriters, and the Usenet is NOTHING like Shakespeare!" - Blair Houghton

SimBrain

Oh you were asking about the colors. I would use less colors rather then
more.

"SimBrain" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:C_Eze.3484$(E-Mail Removed) m...
> They're all the same
>
> "Nik Coughin" <nrkn!no-spam!@woosh.co.nz> wrote in message
> news:Q11ze.13682$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > I am wanting to get some feedback on this logo:
> > http://nrkn.com/temp/hexColours.png
> >
> > I personally prefer the leftmost version on the bottom row, but I have

> been
> > staring at it for so long now that I can't look at it objectively. Viva

> la
> > Usenet!
> >
> > I have prepared it in a range of variations using blue and grey. It is
> > intended primarily for use in a web environment so a major consideration

> is
> > which of the colour sets would carry through well to other elements on a

> web
> > page (hence x-post to alt.html).
> >
> > Any general feedback on the logo itself would also be appreciated. Any
> > thoughts on doing it in other colours would be nice too.
> >
> > I am also thinking about perhaps adding a subtle drop shadow to each of

> the
> > layers, and/or making each layer slightly transparent, but I think

perhaps
> > the strength of the logo lies in its clean lines and that this might

> detract
> > from that.
> >
> > TIA!
> >
> > --
> > "Come to think of it, there are already a million monkeys on a million
> > typewriters, and the Usenet is NOTHING like Shakespeare!" - Blair

Houghton

Jeff Thies

Nik Coughin wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I am wanting to get some feedback on this logo:
> http://nrkn.com/temp/hexColours.png
>
> I personally prefer the leftmost version on the bottom row, but I have been
> staring at it for so long now that I can't look at it objectively. Viva la
> Usenet!
>
> I have prepared it in a range of variations using blue and grey. It is
> intended primarily for use in a web environment so a major consideration is
> which of the colour sets would carry through well to other elements on a web
> page (hence x-post to alt.html).
>
> Any general feedback on the logo itself would also be appreciated. Any
> thoughts on doing it in other colours would be nice too.

The blues are a bit harsh, the grays too bland.

What page color do you want this in, white is usually best for text, but
graphics/image heavy pages can snap with darker colors.

Try 1,1 either inverted, or with the V just in red. I'd like to see
it in a strong red, a total black and on white.

> I am also thinking about perhaps adding a subtle drop shadow to each of the
> layers, and/or making each layer slightly transparent,

I thought that myself before I complety read your post (the slight
transparency).

but I think perhaps
> the strength of the logo lies in its clean lines and that this might detract
> from that.

I haven't really made any logos for some time (just some quickies) so
my judgement is not best!

Cheers,
Jeff