Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > top margin opera firefox

top margin opera firefox

the idiot

im sure this is a daft question but i dont mind showing myself up ho hum...
but how do i get the top margin in opera and firefox to be 0px.. no matter
what i do there is always what looks like a 10px gap...
this also applies to the left margin in opera.

Dylan Parry

Using a pointed stick and pebbles, the idiot scraped:
> im sure this is a daft question but i dont mind showing myself up ho hum...
> but how do i get the top margin in opera and firefox to be 0px

Try setting the body element's "margin" *and* "padding" in your CSS.

--
Dylan Parry

Els

the idiot wrote:

> im sure this is a daft question but i dont mind showing myself up ho hum...
> but how do i get the top margin in opera and firefox to be 0px.. no matter
> what i do there is always what looks like a 10px gap...
> this also applies to the left margin in opera.

Add *{margin:0;padding:0;} to the top of your stylesheet, and see if
the gap goes away. If it does, all you have to do is check element by
element where the margin or padding needs to be set to 0.

A much quicker method could be posting the URL here, so we can
actually see what you mean

--
Els http://locusmeus.com/
- Renato Russo -

the idiot

"Els" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:vmtfkmu91cz5$.11wuvlfvss97l$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> the idiot wrote:
>
> > im sure this is a daft question but i dont mind showing myself up ho

hum...
> > but how do i get the top margin in opera and firefox to be 0px.. no

matter
> > what i do there is always what looks like a 10px gap...
> > this also applies to the left margin in opera.

> Add *{margin:0;padding:0;} to the top of your stylesheet, and see if
> the gap goes away. If it does, all you have to do is check element by
> element where the margin or padding needs to be set to 0.
>
> A much quicker method could be posting the URL here, so we can
> actually see what you mean
>
> --

eek sorry too many things on brain.. and i am a man so can only do one thing
at once.
http://www.207g.karoo.net/langan/index.html
excuse the mess

Els

the idiot wrote:

> "Els" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:vmtfkmu91cz5$.11wuvlfvss97l$(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> the idiot wrote:
>>
>>> im sure this is a daft question but i dont mind showing myself up
>>> ho hum... but how do i get the top margin in opera and firefox to
>>> be 0px.. no matter what i do there is always what looks like a
>>> 10px gap... this also applies to the left margin in opera.

>> Add *{margin:0;padding:0;} to the top of your stylesheet, and see
>> if the gap goes away. If it does, all you have to do is check
>> element by element where the margin or padding needs to be set to
>> 0.
>>
>> A much quicker method could be posting the URL here, so we can
>> actually see what you mean

> eek sorry too many things on brain.. and i am a man so can only do
> one thing at once.

<g>

> http://www.207g.karoo.net/langan/index.html
> excuse the mess

At a first glance I think it may be caused by the top margin on the
h1. What happens if you set it to 0?

--
Els http://locusmeus.com/
- Renato Russo -

the idiot

"Els" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:f2uknt8dxnjy$(E-Mail Removed)...
> the idiot wrote:
>
> > "Els" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:vmtfkmu91cz5$.11wuvlfvss97l$(E-Mail Removed).. .

> >> Add *{margin:0;padding:0;} to the top of your stylesheet, and see
> >> if the gap goes away. If it does, all you have to do is check
> >> element by element where the margin or padding needs to be set to
> >> 0.
> >>
> >> A much quicker method could be posting the URL here, so we can
> >> actually see what you mean

> > eek sorry too many things on brain.. and i am a man so can only do
> > one thing at once.

> <g>
>
> > http://www.207g.karoo.net/langan/index.html
> > excuse the mess

> At a first glance I think it may be caused by the top margin on the
> h1. What happens if you set it to 0?

i'll have a look and get back to you, though you will notice that my
horizontal menu also suffers from the same prob in opera..

the idiot

"Els" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:f2uknt8dxnjy$(E-Mail Removed)...
> the idiot wrote:
>
> > "Els" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:vmtfkmu91cz5$.11wuvlfvss97l$(E-Mail Removed).. .

> >> Add *{margin:0;padding:0;} to the top of your stylesheet, and see
> >> if the gap goes away. If it does, all you have to do is check
> >> element by element where the margin or padding needs to be set to
> >> 0.
> >>
> >> A much quicker method could be posting the URL here, so we can
> >> actually see what you mean

> > eek sorry too many things on brain.. and i am a man so can only do
> > one thing at once.

> <g>
>
> > http://www.207g.karoo.net/langan/index.html
> > excuse the mess

> At a first glance I think it may be caused by the top margin on the
> h1. What happens if you set it to 0?

aha fixes the prob in firefox but opera is still a mess...
how do you lot ever get any work done when you seem to spend all your time
on here helping the likes of me?

Els

the idiot wrote:

> "Els" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:f2uknt8dxnjy$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> the idiot wrote:
>>
>>> "Els" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:vmtfkmu91cz5$.11wuvlfvss97l$(E-Mail Removed).. .

>>> eek sorry too many things on brain.. and i am a man so can only do
>>> one thing at once.

>> <g>
>>
>>> http://www.207g.karoo.net/langan/index.html
>>> excuse the mess

>> At a first glance I think it may be caused by the top margin on the
>> h1. What happens if you set it to 0?
>>

> aha fixes the prob in firefox but opera is still a mess...

Well, I don't know how to edit styles locally in Opera, so I'm afraid
you'll have to do that yourself (I don't have the time to copy the
entire lot of html, css and images over to my own server). But the
first step should be setting *{margin:0;padding:0;}. Temporarily of
course. Do the gaps disappear when you do that?

> how do you lot ever get any work done when you seem to spend all your time
> on here helping the likes of me?

I'm on my break <g>

--
Els http://locusmeus.com/
- Renato Russo -

the idiot

"Els" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:6nazedpy70rq$(E-Mail Removed)...
> the idiot wrote:
>
> > "Els" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:f2uknt8dxnjy$(E-Mail Removed)...

> >> <g>

> >> At a first glance I think it may be caused by the top margin on the
> >> h1. What happens if you set it to 0?
> >>

> > aha fixes the prob in firefox but opera is still a mess...

> Well, I don't know how to edit styles locally in Opera, so I'm afraid
> you'll have to do that yourself (I don't have the time to copy the
> entire lot of html, css and images over to my own server). But the
> first step should be setting *{margin:0;padding:0;}. Temporarily of
> course. Do the gaps disappear when you do that?
>
> > how do you lot ever get any work done when you seem to spend all your

time
> > on here helping the likes of me?

> I'm on my break <g>

i'll do some more poking and experimenting to see what happens.. thanks alot
though.

the idiot

"Els" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:6nazedpy70rq$(E-Mail Removed)...
> the idiot wrote:
>
> > "Els" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:f2uknt8dxnjy$(E-Mail Removed)...

> >> <g>

> >> At a first glance I think it may be caused by the top margin on the
> >> h1. What happens if you set it to 0?
> >>

> > aha fixes the prob in firefox but opera is still a mess...

> Well, I don't know how to edit styles locally in Opera, so I'm afraid
> you'll have to do that yourself (I don't have the time to copy the
> entire lot of html, css and images over to my own server). But the
> first step should be setting *{margin:0;padding:0;}. Temporarily of
> course. Do the gaps disappear when you do that?
>
> > how do you lot ever get any work done when you seem to spend all your

time
> > on here helping the likes of me?

> I'm on my break <g>

i stuck the header back into the wrapper and then gave the norizontal menu a
top-margin: -20px till it worked in opera.. so all is well. apart from
everything else. thanks agin.