Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > browser sniffer

browser sniffer

Spartanicus

C A Upsdell <""cupsdellXXX\"@-@(E-Mail Removed)"> wrote:

>The only thing is, I can't find ua.ini anywhere on my PC, so I wonder if
>this is an Opera 8 feature that was implemented but which is not yet active.

I don't use the feature myself and I have Opera configured not to
perform the automatic update checks.

Afaik it is active, but the ua.ini file is not installed by default.
Afaik it will only be present when Opera has performed one of it's
weekly update checks, or after a manual update check from the Help menu.

--
Spartanicus

C A Upsdell

Spartanicus wrote:
> C A Upsdell <""cupsdellXXX\"@-@(E-Mail Removed)"> wrote:
>
>>The only thing is, I can't find ua.ini anywhere on my PC, so I wonder if
>>this is an Opera 8 feature that was implemented but which is not yet active.

> I don't use the feature myself and I have Opera configured not to
> perform the automatic update checks.
>
> Afaik it is active, but the ua.ini file is not installed by default.
> Afaik it will only be present when Opera has performed one of it's
> weekly update checks, or after a manual update check from the Help menu.

Well, I've done both, and no ua.ini appeared.

With regard to browser sniffing, I wonder how relevant ua.ini is: it
should only list sites which don't work without browser spoofing, which
should only happen with sites which have sloppy browser sniffers; a
well-written browser sniffer should therefore not be affected by ua.ini.

Of course there is the larger issue of whether browser sniffing is
appropriate for dealing with browser differences, especially given that
there are alternatives, e.g. object detection, and CSS trickery. But
this is not an issue I will address, as it has been addressed umpteen
times, and there is no point on rehashing this issue all over again.

dorayme

> From: Els <(E-Mail Removed)>
>
> More info on hacks like that:
> http://centricle.com/ref/css/filters/

Good one, Els, this is a well set out page...

dorayme