Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Title attribute

Title attribute

Fabri

I guess if it is possible to write a multiline title attribute natively
with HTML + CSS.

GMail does it and I don't know how.

Any help appreciated.

Regards.

--
Fabri
("Sono pių di 30 punti...ma č come se fossere 8 o 9....")

Arne

Once upon a time *Fabri* wrote:

> I guess if it is possible to write a multiline title attribute natively
> with HTML + CSS.
>
> GMail does it and I don't know how.

> Any help appreciated.
>
> Regards.

I belive you must use Javascript for that.

--
/Arne

are replying to, no more and no less! And don't
quote signatures, thank you.

Jukka K. Korpela

Fabri <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I guess if it is possible to write a multiline title attribute
> natively with HTML + CSS.

Of course. In HTML, a line break is permitted inside an attribute
value. CSS has nothing to do with this.

What you probably mean, though, is whether you can make browsers
_display_ an attribute value in two (or more) lines with a line break
in a particular position. The answer is that by the specifications you
cannot, though some browsers incorrectly treat a line break as in
title="first line
second line"
as requesting a line break in output, not as equivalent to a space, as
the specifications say.

> Any help appreciated.

When in a dead end, backtrack. What was the reason for your wish to
display a title attribute in two lines? It probably indicates a wrong
idea of the attribute. It is an "advisory title" - basically, something
that the user might or might not hear or see and that might sometimes
help her, but it should not contain anything that users _must_ know.

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/