Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Re: Assistance on "framing" a section

Re: Assistance on "framing" a section

David Russell

> > On the other hand, I have a small problem.

> > www.aquiva.co.za is a site I recently created, and in most cases, it

> > works perfectly, however I have a problem with the "text"

> > section of the page.

> ..for some degree of "perfect." Your menus are not accessible to

> those visitors who do not have JavaScript available, or enabled. Like

> the Googlebot.

OK, I get that - although with the way it is set out, surely Googlebot will
see it. Display:none surely does not prevent google from following the
links?

I need to get a little more clarity on this...

> For visitors who can see your menu, there is no indication for which

> pages have been visited. Use CSS to change color for visited links.

This is also a good suggestion. Thanks, I'll look into this

> For pages requiring any scrolling, your Aquiva graphic (which remains

> stationary) covers the text.

> > If you go to a longer page (such as the privacy policy under "Site

> > Information (at http://www.aquiva.co.za/site_privacy.php), you will

> > see that there is a lot of text there. I generally don't like a lot

> > of text, and will probably convert this to a PDF for downloadig, but

> > how can I get just the content section to scroll?

> Let the whole page scroll. Your logo is not nearly as important as

> your content. What will you do for visitors who do not have PDF

> readers, or who do not want to go through the several extra steps to

> read it?

OK, I (sort of) agree with you, and have started making changes accordingly.
The logo will scroll with the rest of the page.

On the other hand, I don't ever want the menu to scroll.... Show should I
best acomplish this? Especially if you don't like the "position: absolute"
bit...

Suggestions?

> Stick with plain text content.

> > The content section is in a div called Main, and I would ideally

> > like that section to be positioned absolutely and for only this

> > section to scroll (since the menu, etc does not need to), is this

> > possible?

> Some browsers do not respect absolute position, so you should rethink

> the use of it.

> Please check with http://validator.w3.org/ as well.

> Oh, "We cover what you cant" needs an apostrophe. <g>

I validated a while ago. I'll do that again on all the pages.

And the apostrophe is there (not uploaded yet, but will be soon

Thanks

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

David Russell wrote:

[Beauregard wrote:]
>> ..for some degree of "perfect." Your menus are not accessible to
>> those visitors who do not have JavaScript available, or enabled.
>> Like the Googlebot.

> OK, I get that - although with the way it is set out, surely
> Googlebot will see it. Display:none surely does not prevent google
> from following the links?

Ok, I reexamined your links, and I see they are in the HTML, rather
than in JavaScript as I initially thought. I don't know if Google will
see text marked as "display: none" and may think you are spamming or
attempting to cover up false keywords. Maybe someone else has the answer.

Still doesn't allow the 10% or so who have JavaScript disabled to see it.

> I need to get a little more clarity on this...
>
>> For visitors who can see your menu, there is no indication for
>> which pages have been visited. Use CSS to change color for
>> visited links.

> This is also a good suggestion. Thanks, I'll look into this
>
> On the other hand, I don't ever want the menu to scroll.... Show
> should I best acomplish this? Especially if you don't like the
> "position: absolute" bit...
>
> Suggestions?
>
>> Some browsers do not respect absolute position, so you should
>> rethink the use of it.

Visitors with short browser windows may not be able to see the bottom
of your menu if you position it absolute, if it doesn't scroll.
There's really no need, as everyone is used to vertical scrolling.

--
-bts
-This space intentionally left blank.

Travis Newbury

David Russell wrote:
> OK, I (sort of) agree with you, and have started making changes accordingly.
> The logo will scroll with the rest of the page.
> On the other hand, I don't ever want the menu to scroll....

Why? People surfing he web are not like ants who lost the scent trail.
They will remember the menu scrolled off the top of the page...

--
-=tn=-