Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Little Q for all you experts...

Little Q for all you experts...

Jonathan N. Little

Michael Winter wrote:

<snip>

> The frames at <URL:http://www.breezeinn.ca/> are part of those awful
> redirection/URL masking schemes whereby a server generates a frameset
> for one domain, but inserts the contents of another into the resulting
> frames. As browsers only shown the URL for the frameset itself, it looks
> as though you are always browsing within the initial domain.

<snip>

Thanks Mike, I was unaware of such schemes. Just out of curiosity, how
does it work? For each domain that they pseudo-host they only allow one
frameset index file as a ‘wrapper’ with the link to the real hosting
location?

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

Jonathan N. Little

G wrote:

<snip>

> When I try to reply in OE, the only choices I see are: 'New Post' - pretty
> sure this isn't what I want, 'Reply Group' - can't be right either since
> this is what I did to get the "top posting" comments, 'Reply to all' - this
> isn't right is it? Or 'Reply or Reply to sender' - which takes me into an
> e-mail message. The only time I get actual editable text is when I choose
> 'Reply Group' and before I post it asks me "Do you want to send this reply
> to the entire newsgroup?" What else can I do - this is the only way to post
> a reply! That's what I had to do to get this message to post. Although I can
> put this reply at the bottom of this text if that's what's meant by bottom
> posting...

best solution to your trouble...

and while your at it, secure your backdoor with:

Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

JDS

On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 02:07:32 +0000, G wrote:

> Jonathan, how do I "bottom post" in Outlook Express 6? I'd much prefer to
> do this, but can't see how at the moment. And I just realized that you
> can't see my HTML because the page is hosted on free webspace for the time
> being. Sorry about the "top posting".

Well, for one, even without changing any preferences, you could just move
the cursor to below the quoted text. Arrow key or mouse.

--
JDS | http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
| http://www.newtnotes.com

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, G quothed

> I didn't give the URL because I know you guys
> will find it littered with errors and possible improvements. I'm still
> trying to find the time to learn CSS! I'll try out your suggestions, the URL
> if you're interested is www.breezeinn.ca . Thanks again.

Can I get a bigger image of the broad in the third photo?

--
Neredbojias

Michael Winter

On 02/07/2005 13:29, Jonathan N. Little wrote:

> Michael Winter wrote:
>
>> The frames at <URL:http://www.breezeinn.ca/> are part of those awful
>> redirection/URL masking schemes [...]

[snip]

> Just out of curiosity, how does it work? For each domain that they
> pseudo-host they only allow one frameset index file as a ‘wrapper’
> with the link to the real hosting location?

From what I've seen, yes.

For instance, I use one of the services from DynDNS to point to my ISP
site address, which about halves an otherwise 33 character host name.
They too offer this kind of 'redirection', the difference being either a
302 Found response (which I use), or a 200 OK and a frameset. The only
information that's required of me is the destination, and optionally a
title for the frameset if I choose to 'cloak' that URL.

It does seem that 'cloaking' services differ, though. For instance, you
can't append a path to the URL at the top of this post, but you can with
DynDNS. The latter must actually generate the frameset, rather than
serve a static file.

Mike

--
Michael Winter

"Leonard Blaisdell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> 'Reply Group' - can't be right either since
>> this is what I did to get the "top posting" comments

> That's gotta be the one.
>
>> The only time I get actual editable text is when I choose
>> 'Reply Group'

> Edit your text and do your replies there.
>
>> and before I post it asks me "Do you want to send this reply
>> to the entire newsgroup?"

> The program is just trying to warn you that you'll be replying to
> thousands of people all over the world if it's anything like the one I'm
> using.
>
>> Although I can
>> put this reply at the bottom of this text if that's what's meant by
>> bottom
>> posting...

> If you post to "everything" that's been said, you leave all that's been
> said above what you comment on. Otherwise you do what I just did. Excise
> the parts you don't want to comment on and reply to specific portions
> that you do have comments on below what you're commenting on.
> My apologies if OE won't do this.
> But start with 'Reply Group' and ignore the 'entire newsgroup' question,
> scary though it may sound.
>
> leo
>
> --
> <http://web0.greatbasin.net/~leo/

Thanks a lot everyone, very helpful. No more top posting for me. I'll work
on my refresh issue in the meantime, thanks again.

dorayme

> From: "G" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>
> "dorayme" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
>> Perhaps your OE is very different to mine, but I would bet money on it being
>> able to bottom post. In mine (OE for a Mac) there is an option for where to
>> put the insertion point in replying (called preferences, this is sure to be
>> in options in the PC version). You can select the text of what you want to
>> reply to and only it will appear in the post.
>>
>> Actually, I find it easy to simply go to reply to all and just cut the rest
>> and put the insertion point at the bottom. I leave it at top posting setting
>> because ordinarily, I like ...
>> and on and on and on and on ...

> When I try to reply in OE, the only choices I see are: 'New Post' - pretty
> sure this isn't what I want, 'Reply Group' - can't be right either since this
> is what I did to get the "top posting" comments, 'Reply to all' - this isn't
> right is it? Or 'Reply or Reply to sender' - which takes me into an e-mail
> message. The only time I get actual editable text is when I choose 'Reply
> Group' and before I post it asks me "Do you want to send this reply to the
> entire newsgroup?" What else can I do - this is the only way to post a reply!
> That's what I had to do to get this message to post. Although I can put this
> reply at the bottom of this text if that's what's meant by bottom posting...

OK, I will try to get to an OE 6 on a PC and see what I can see. On my Mac,
there is a specific item on the menu bar, a folder called OptusNet. Inside
are the groups subscribed to by me. Once I click on a group, all the old
messages appear in the right top frame and new messages come down. In the
bottom right frame are the content of any messages. To reply one either hits
a key combination or the "Post reply to newsgroup" (there is also "forward"
and "Reply to sender"). Your "Reply Group" is probably right, why should it
not be? Whether it top posts or not surely has nothing to do with it being
the right or wrong button.

That you are asked if you want to send to the entire newsgroup is a good
thing, you seem puzzled by it. It is basically saying: "OK, you have
composed all this stuff, do you really want for possibly everyone in the
world to read it?" - meaning, "Sure you want to do this, and not send it to
just some particular person?" It is an alert. A warning. A reminder. The Mac
does not have this particular wording, but something a bit milder. There is
a reason for this difference but it would be a bit insensitive to spell it
out and I have promised to be good.

The option to top post or not is elsewhere. In mine it is in a folder called
Preferences. In yours it is probably some option. Take a good look at the
options. If no one has helped by then, I will get to a PC and see.

dorayme

dorayme

> From: Blinky the Shark <(E-Mail Removed)>
>
> And yet even with the warning, I see people nearly every day posting
> what they think is an email to Aunt Sally to a newsgroup.

Dear Aunt Sally,

Exactly! And that is why I do it.

Much love

Dorayme

Michael Winter

On 03/07/2005 00:57, dorayme wrote:

[snip]

> On my Mac, there is a specific item on the menu bar, a folder called
> OptusNet. Inside are the groups subscribed to by me.

A list of accounts is displayed in a tree to the left, and each account
lists the groups to which the user subscribes.

[snip]

> To reply one either hits a key combination or the "Post reply to
> newsgroup" (there is also "forward" and "Reply to sender").

The same, except the previously noted "Reply Group" label. That is the
one the OP should use (and already does, clearly).

[snip]

> The option to top post or not is elsewhere.

No, unfortunately it isn't. OE (unmodified) always presents replies in a
way that encourages top-posting. This is why OE-QuoteFix[1] is
recommended: it completely alters how replies are formatted to
correspond with more acceptable forms. See the site itself for details.

[snip]

Mike

[1] <URL:http://home.in.tum.de/~jain/software/oe-quotefix/>

--
Michael Winter

dorayme

> From: "G" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>
> I didn't give the URL because I know you guys
> will find it littered with errors and possible improvements. I'm still
> trying to find the time to learn CSS! I'll try out your suggestions, the URL
> if you're interested is www.breezeinn.ca . Thanks again.

Yes, I know what you mean. Here is one small suggestion at least about your
web pages. Put in the exact dimensions of your pictures in the image tag.
This allows the page to make the proper room for them from the beginning and
not suddenly leap into an arrangement to accommodate them as a
development... Take for example the picture of the trampoline, put in
width="480" and height="360".

(BTW. I noticed this particular picture because a newsgrouper wanted to see
more of - as he put it - the "broad" in it. Neredbojias' purpose was
technical I am sure. Perhaps he wanted to see how well his lonely hours of
trying to image enlarge a small section of a pic compared to a better camera
led shot.)

dorayme