Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Little Q for all you experts...

Little Q for all you experts...

Jonathan, how do I "bottom post" in Outlook Express 6? I'd much prefer to do
this, but can't see how at the moment. And I just realized that you can't
see my HTML because the page is hosted on free webspace for the time being.
Sorry about the "top posting".

"Jonathan N. Little" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Uqmxe.1651$(E-Mail Removed)...
>G wrote:
>> Thanks for all the replies. Of course I don't want to write only for IE -
>> I'm only a newbie with almost no knowledge and I don't even know how to
>> write for maximum useability. I didn't give the URL because I know you
>> guys will find it littered with errors and possible improvements. I'm
>> still trying to find the time to learn CSS! I'll try out your
>> suggestions, the URL if you're interested is www.breezeinn.ca . Thanks
>> again.
>>
>> "G" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>

> <snip previous reply because top posting>
> One suggestion, lose the frames. You are only using one in your frameset
> anyway, the other has no source. Frames add a host of complications that
> you only have to search the news group with the keyword 'frames' to see.
>
> Next, place your reply after the previous replies like I am doing here,
> this is bottom posting and preferred by this group.
>
> --
> Take care,
>
> Jonathan
> -------------------
> LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
> http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

Blinky the Shark

G wrote:

> Jonathan, how do I "bottom post" in Outlook Express 6? I'd much prefer to do
> this, but can't see how at the moment. And I just realized that you can't

You have a down-arrow key, right? You have a PageDown key, right? You
have a vertical scroll bar and a mouse, right?

--
Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

G wrote:
> Jonathan, how do I "bottom post" in Outlook Express 6?

Press the PageDown key before typing?

You also might want to install OE-QuoteFix and solve those kinds of
problems.

Modern newsreaders usually give the option as to where the insertion
point is placed. Try Thunderbird.

--
-bts
-This space intentionally left blank.

Jonathan N. Little

G wrote:
<snip>
And I just realized that you can't
> see my HTML because the page is hosted on free webspace for the time being.

<snip>
Ah no, I CAN see you HTML, I just looked at the source of the one frame
you have.

To remove the frames, delete the default page on server for
'www.breezeinn.ca' the one with the:

<framset ... >
<frame ... >
<frame ... >
</frameset>

and replace with code from:

http://www3.telus.net/public/gebrown/Home.html

the frame source and voila, bye bye frames...

then move other documents, About.html, Spinnaker%20Suite.html, and other
to www.breezeinn.ca and you done the first step...

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

Michael Winter

On 02/07/2005 04:29, Jonathan N. Little wrote:

[snip]

> To remove the frames, delete the default page on server for
> 'www.breezeinn.ca' [...]

Though I agree that frames should generally be avoided, and there are
certainly no structural or organisational necessities that mean these
frames should be kept, I do believe you're overlooking one rather vital
point.

The frames at <URL:http://www.breezeinn.ca/> are part of those awful
redirection/URL masking schemes whereby a server generates a frameset
for one domain, but inserts the contents of another into the resulting
frames. As browsers only shown the URL for the frameset itself, it looks
as though you are always browsing within the initial domain.

[snip]

So,

> then move other documents, About.html, Spinnaker%20Suite.html, and other
> to www.breezeinn.ca and you done the first step...

....that won't be possible without a proper hosting solution.

Mike

--
Michael Winter

Leonard Blaisdell

In article <EFmxe.103198$9A2.76074@edtnps89>, "G" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> Jonathan, how do I "bottom post" in Outlook Express 6? I'd much prefer to do
> this, but can't see how at the moment. And I just realized that you can't
> see my HTML because the page is hosted on free webspace for the time being.
> Sorry about the "top posting".

I know nothing about Outlook Express, but can't you move to the bottom
of the page before typing? Can't you delete portions of the page that
you're not directly responding to by highlighting and deleting or
backspacing? Can't you remove peoples signatures by the same method. I
suggest that you experiment. Pretend you're going to post, fool with
deletion and moving the cursor or highlighting and deleting. Click where
you want to insert text, type something clever or inane and discard the
results instead of posting until you are comfortable with what you see
"most" others doing in the group.
I can't believe that OE wouldn't let you respond to a snippet of text in
one sentence if you wished. Otherwise, it's woefully inadequate.

leo

--
<http://web0.greatbasin.net/~leo/

dorayme

> From: "G" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>
> Jonathan, how do I "bottom post" in Outlook Express 6? I'd much prefer to do
> this, but can't see how at the moment. And I just realized that you can't
> see my HTML because the page is hosted on free webspace for the time being.
> Sorry about the "top posting".

Perhaps your OE is very different to mine, but I would bet money on it being
able to bottom post. In mine (OE for a Mac) there is an option for where to
put the insertion point in replying (called preferences, this is sure to be
in options in the PC version). You can select the text of what you want to
reply to and only it will appear in the post.

Actually, I find it easy to simply go to reply to all and just cut the rest
and put the insertion point at the bottom. I leave it at top posting setting
because ordinarily, I like that my more beautiful words and phrases and
remarks appear at the top. But on newsgroups, no one likes this, and I am
gooder than good. You could do worse than to watch all my posts and see how
I behave, how I set things out beautifully, culling to the minimum and not
going on and on and on and on and on and on ...

dorayme

news:BEEC6571.1405A%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> From: "G" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>>
>> Jonathan, how do I "bottom post" in Outlook Express 6? I'd much prefer to
>> do
>> this, but can't see how at the moment. And I just realized that you can't
>> see my HTML because the page is hosted on free webspace for the time
>> being.
>> Sorry about the "top posting".

> Perhaps your OE is very different to mine, but I would bet money on it
> being
> able to bottom post. In mine (OE for a Mac) there is an option for where
> put the insertion point in replying (called preferences, this is sure to
> be
> in options in the PC version). You can select the text of what you want to
> reply to and only it will appear in the post.
>
> Actually, I find it easy to simply go to reply to all and just cut the
> rest
> and put the insertion point at the bottom. I leave it at top posting
> setting
> because ordinarily, I like that my more beautiful words and phrases and
> remarks appear at the top. But on newsgroups, no one likes this, and I am
> gooder than good. You could do worse than to watch all my posts and see
> how
> I behave, how I set things out beautifully, culling to the minimum and not
> going on and on and on and on and on and on ...
>
> dorayme

When I try to reply in OE, the only choices I see are: 'New Post' - pretty
sure this isn't what I want, 'Reply Group' - can't be right either since
this is what I did to get the "top posting" comments, 'Reply to all' - this
isn't right is it? Or 'Reply or Reply to sender' - which takes me into an
e-mail message. The only time I get actual editable text is when I choose
'Reply Group' and before I post it asks me "Do you want to send this reply
to the entire newsgroup?" What else can I do - this is the only way to post
a reply! That's what I had to do to get this message to post. Although I can
put this reply at the bottom of this text if that's what's meant by bottom
posting...

Leonard Blaisdell

In article <RWqxe.111445$tt5.29796@edtnps90>, "G" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> 'Reply Group' - can't be right either since
> this is what I did to get the "top posting" comments

That's gotta be the one.

> The only time I get actual editable text is when I choose
> 'Reply Group'

Edit your text and do your replies there.

> and before I post it asks me "Do you want to send this reply
> to the entire newsgroup?"

The program is just trying to warn you that you'll be replying to
thousands of people all over the world if it's anything like the one I'm
using.

> Although I can
> put this reply at the bottom of this text if that's what's meant by bottom
> posting...

If you post to "everything" that's been said, you leave all that's been
said above what you comment on. Otherwise you do what I just did. Excise
the parts you don't want to comment on and reply to specific portions
that you do have comments on below what you're commenting on.
My apologies if OE won't do this.
But start with 'Reply Group' and ignore the 'entire newsgroup' question,
scary though it may sound.

leo

--

Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
> In article <RWqxe.111445$tt5.29796@edtnps90>, "G"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> 'Reply Group' - can't be right either since this is what I did to get
>> the "top posting" comments

> That's gotta be the one.

>> The only time I get actual editable text is when I choose 'Reply
>> Group'

> Edit your text and do your replies there.

>> and before I post it asks me "Do you want to send this reply to the
>> entire newsgroup?"

> The program is just trying to warn you that you'll be replying to
> thousands of people all over the world if it's anything like the one
> I'm using.

>> Although I can put this reply at the bottom of this text if that's
>> what's meant by bottom posting...

OP: You're now posting. On the bottom. Hey! Bottom posting!

> If you post to "everything" that's been said, you leave all that's
> been said above what you comment on. Otherwise you do what I just did.
> Excise the parts you don't want to comment on and reply to specific
> portions that you do have comments on below what you're commenting on.
> My apologies if OE won't do this.

Of course it will do that, as long as he has direction keys, scroll bars
and a mouse, and a delete key. My money's on "he has those things."

> But start with 'Reply Group' and ignore the 'entire newsgroup'
> question, scary though it may sound.

And yet even with the warning, I see people nearly every day posting
what they think is an email to Aunt Sally to a newsgroup.

--
Blinky Linux Registered User 297263