Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Little Q for all you experts...

Little Q for all you experts...

Hi guys, thanks in advance for any help you can provide. I'm trying to get
my html pages to refresh automatically when re-visited in IE (various
versions). I used this command in the <HEAD> : <meta http-equiv="refresh"/>
but it doesn't seem to work. Am I doing something wrong, or is there any
other way to do this? Incidentally, when I hit F5 to refresh - I always get
sent back to Index.html . What's that about? Thanks again guys.

G.

Jonathan N. Little

G wrote:
> Hi guys, thanks in advance for any help you can provide. I'm trying to get
> my html pages to refresh automatically when re-visited in IE (various
> versions). I used this command in the <HEAD> : <meta http-equiv="refresh"/>
> but it doesn't seem to work. Am I doing something wrong, or is there any
> other way to do this? Incidentally, when I hit F5 to refresh - I always get
> sent back to Index.html . What's that about? Thanks again guys.
>
> G.

URL?

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

mark | r

javascript

top.location="filename.htm"

eacy!

mark
news:EOSwe.1565$(E-Mail Removed)...

mark | r wrote:

> javascript
>
> top.location="filename.htm"

<snip>

Yes if JavaScript is enabled. But a URL may reveal if OP has a syntax
error or something that could be the real root of his problem. Als could
answer his 2nd question.

NOTE: I would suggest you stop *top posting*, it really peeves some of
the locals...

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

Dan

G wrote:
> Hi guys, thanks in advance for any help you can provide. I'm trying to get
> my html pages to refresh automatically when re-visited in IE (various
> versions).

But what happens when it's instead visited in a decent browser, like
Mozilla?

> I used this command in the <HEAD> : <meta http-equiv="refresh"/>
> but it doesn't seem to work.

I presume your DOCTYPE is XHTML rather than HTML, given the slash
before the closing bracket.

You seem to be mising a "content" attribute in the above meta tag.
This is where you would define what page is being refreshed to and how
long to wait before refreshing. Also, if you're refreshing to the same
page where you currently are, that would cause the refresh tag to be
reloaded too, so you'd have an infinite loop of refreshing.

> Am I doing something wrong, or is there any
> other way to do this? Incidentally, when I hit F5 to refresh - I always get
> sent back to Index.html . What's that about? Thanks again guys.

If the original page is index.html, then that's what you'd be refreshed
to by default. But since you don't give any URL, we have no way of
knowing for sure.

--
Dan

Richard Cornford

G wrote:
> Hi guys, thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
> I'm trying to get my html pages to refresh automatically
> when re-visited in IE (various versions).

Why only IE?

What you seem to mean is that you want visitors to the site to be served
fresh copies form the server on subsequent visits. This is best done by
serving appropriate HTTP headers with the pages, to encourage specific
caching behaviour and/or realistically stating when you expect the
current version to expire.

> I used this command

HTML doesn't do commands.

> in the <HEAD> : <meta http-equiv="refresh"/>

If complete (and in a valid HTML form) a meta-refresh element would not
do what you describe (even when allowed to do anything). A (dynamically
generated) meta-expires element would be closer, but still considerably
less reliable than the equivalent HTTP header (and would be superfluous
if that header existed).

> but it doesn't seem to work. Am I doing
> something wrong, or is there any other way to do this?

> Incidentally, when I hit F5 to refresh - I always get
> sent back to Index.html . What's that about?

Without code to examine explanations of behaviour are pure speculation.
My wild guess is that you are refreshing a frameset where the SRC of a
frame is Index.html, and pressing F5 refreshes the frameset, re-loading
its original content. The truth may be any one of another 50 plausible
explanations.

Richard.

Mitja

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 20:00:06 +0200, Richard Cornford
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> Incidentally, when I hit F5 to refresh - I always get
>> sent back to Index.html . What's that about?

> Without code to examine explanations of behaviour are pure speculation.
> My wild guess is that you are refreshing a frameset where the SRC of a
> frame is Index.html, and pressing F5 refreshes the frameset, re-loading
> its original content. The truth may be any one of another 50 plausible
> explanations.

That was my first thought too. You may be using a frameset without even
knowing - are you using an URL masking online-service?

Blinky the Shark

G wrote:

> Hi guys, thanks in advance for any help you can provide. I'm trying to get
> my html pages to refresh automatically when re-visited in IE (various

I don't use IE. Why do you want me not to see the same new pages?

--
Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

Thanks for all the replies. Of course I don't want to write only for IE -
I'm only a newbie with almost no knowledge and I don't even know how to
write for maximum useability. I didn't give the URL because I know you guys
will find it littered with errors and possible improvements. I'm still
trying to find the time to learn CSS! I'll try out your suggestions, the URL
if you're interested is www.breezeinn.ca . Thanks again.

"G" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Hi guys, thanks in advance for any help you can provide. I'm trying to get
> my html pages to refresh automatically when re-visited in IE (various
> versions). I used this command in the <HEAD> : <meta
> http-equiv="refresh"/> but it doesn't seem to work. Am I doing something
> wrong, or is there any other way to do this? Incidentally, when I hit F5
> to refresh - I always get sent back to Index.html . What's that about?
> Thanks again guys.
>
> G.

Jonathan N. Little

G wrote:
> Thanks for all the replies. Of course I don't want to write only for IE -
> I'm only a newbie with almost no knowledge and I don't even know how to
> write for maximum useability. I didn't give the URL because I know you guys
> will find it littered with errors and possible improvements. I'm still
> trying to find the time to learn CSS! I'll try out your suggestions, the URL
> if you're interested is www.breezeinn.ca . Thanks again.
>
> "G" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

<snip previous reply because top posting>
One suggestion, lose the frames. You are only using one in your frameset
anyway, the other has no source. Frames add a host of complications that
you only have to search the news group with the keyword 'frames' to see.

Next, place your reply after the previous replies like I am doing here,
this is bottom posting and preferred by this group.

--
Take care,

Jonathan