Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Cool future browser feature....

Cool future browser feature....

Travis Newbury

Michael Winter wrote:

>> Who says it is for advertising? I see a lot more reasons to use a
>> popup window than advertising.

> Yes, there are many reasonable uses for them, but abuse has all but
> killed the pop-up, whether it is legitimate or not.

You will find no argument on that point. MOST popups are unwanted and
unneeded

--
-=tn=-

Toby Inkster

Travis Newbury wrote:

> The page opens, tests for the existance of the pop up blocker, and
> takes the appropriate action with the links.

Kinda can already using Javascript:

<script type="text/javascript">
var w = window.open("test.html","test");
var popup_blocker_is_running = !w;
w.close();
</script>

Whether it will work or not depends on the popup blocker.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

mark | r

"Travis Newbury" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:tmHwe.2387$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Michael Winter wrote:
>
> >> Who says it is for advertising? I see a lot more reasons to use a
> >> popup window than advertising.

> > Yes, there are many reasonable uses for them, but abuse has all but
> > killed the pop-up, whether it is legitimate or not.

> You will find no argument on that point. MOST popups are unwanted and
> unneeded

name one use that cant be done better in AJAX
the issue is opening a new browser window - this is just wrong, all plain
and unapologetyically wrong - use AJAX to give inline feedback, provide live
updates of data, expand and collapse blocks of helpful content and/or extra
options based on user feedback

mark

Travis Newbury

mark | r wrote:
>>You will find no argument on that point. MOST popups are unwanted and
>>unneeded

> name one use that cant be done better in AJAX
> the issue is opening a new browser window - this is just wrong, all plain
> and unapologetyically wrong...

You are obviously completely closed minded to any possible reason I
could come up with, so why bother discussing it.

--
-=tn=-

mark | r

"Travis Newbury" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:soPwe.13387$(E-Mail Removed)...
> mark | r wrote:
> >>You will find no argument on that point. MOST popups are unwanted and
> >>unneeded

> > name one use that cant be done better in AJAX
> > the issue is opening a new browser window - this is just wrong, all

plain
> > and unapologetyically wrong...

> You are obviously completely closed minded to any possible reason I
> could come up with, so why bother discussing it.
>
> --
> -=tn=-

no thats you your talking about - admit it!

Mark

Disco Octopus

Toby Inkster wrote :
> Travis Newbury wrote:
>
>> The page opens, tests for the existance of the pop up blocker, and
>> takes the appropriate action with the links.

> Kinda can already using Javascript:
>
> <script type="text/javascript">
> var w = window.open("test.html","test");
> var popup_blocker_is_running = !w;
> w.close();
> </script>
>
> Whether it will work or not depends on the popup blocker.

I suppose you could also do something like this in javascript...
<psuedo>

in PAGE1
popup a new page (PAGE2)

if "This is from your child"
the Popup Worked
else
the popup did not work
fi

in PAGE2
set a flag in PAGE2's parent (PAGE1) saying "This is from your
child"

</psuedo>

--
a beef jerky web site : http://www.choicebeefjerky.com.au
set an example : http://example.com

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, Travis Newbury quothed

> You know what would be a great browser feature? If the browser could
> tell the web page if thee is a popup blocker running.
>
> The page opens, tests for the existance of the pop up blocker, and
> takes the appropriate action with the links.
>
> Of course the "anti-popup for any reason" crowd won't think this would
> be a cool feature...

Actually, that could be implemented now, -and fairly easily.

Basically, open a test pop-up of minimal content, set a reasonable
timer, and if you can't "confirm" it after the time limit = pop-up
blocker.

--
Neredbojias

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, mark | r quothed

> name one use that cant be done better in AJAX
> the issue is opening a new browser window - this is just wrong, all plain
> and unapologetyically wrong - use AJAX to give inline feedback, provide live
> updates of data, expand and collapse blocks of helpful content and/or extra
> options based on user feedback

Up until recently, I had a website with many pages that *allowed the
user the option* of opening borderless fullscreen images in popups for
their viewing pleasure. However, with all the new controls appearing in
the browsers and the stigma of ad popups making popup-blocking very
desirable, I've decided to remove this feature and return to more
traditional methods of image-rendering. Once again marketing
"strategies" and disreputable *children* contribute to the decline of
something worthwhile for the public in general.

--
Neredbojias

Richard Cornford

Neredbojias wrote:
> With neither quill nor qualm, Travis Newbury quothed

<snip>
>> ... ? If the browser could
>> tell the web page if thee is a popup blocker running.

<snip>
> Actually, that could be implemented now, -and fairly easily.
>
> Basically, open a test pop-up of minimal content, set a
> reasonable timer, and if you can't "confirm" it after the
> time limit = pop-up blocker.

You have got your logic the wrong way around: Can 'confirm' widow
opening = not a pop-up blocker. But; NOT not a pop-up blocker - does not
equal - a pop-up blocker.

Richard.

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, Richard Cornford quothed

> You have got your logic the wrong way around: Can 'confirm' widow
> opening = not a pop-up blocker. But; NOT not a pop-up blocker - does not
> equal - a pop-up blocker.

Oh, absolutely true. My only thought here was to establish the facility
to open another window, not to confirm the presence of a popup blocker
specifically. Why would the distinction make any difference?

--
Neredbojias