Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Looking for Tutorial

Looking for Tutorial

Mark Parnell

Previously in alt.html, Roy Schestowitz <(E-Mail Removed)>
said:

> I'd nod to that. Quanta is an editor that I only discovered about a year ago
> (I had it installed by default). It potentially saves a lot of typing.

Same here - it was installed by default, so thought I'd try it out. A
few things I'm not entirely happy with, but on the whole it's a nice
program.

Tried Screem for the same reason, but didn't like that at all!

--
Mark Parnell
http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au

cwdjrxyz@yahoo.com

> Anyone recommend a good tutorial on how to use a plain text editor on a
> windows PC, like Wordpad to write an HTML document?

As others have noted, there are many editors out there including many
free ones. If you will download either the latest free Mozilla or
Netscape browser you will get a free editor called the composer. It can
be clicked on at the bottom left of the screen. You can use only html,
templates, or a mixture thereof. It writes decent template code that
will validate in contrast to many other editors. Colors are used to
make the code easy to read. You can bring up images and it will
automatically select the correct computer address to link to them so
you can preview the page. You can store the page as a local file on the
computer to view there. Or the composer can be set up to FTP your page
to a directory at your web site. The neat thing is that it also
automatically changes the computer addresses of your images to relative
URLs and uploads these to the directory you selected at your site as
well - in effect one click uploading of a complete web page. It takes a
little time to learn, but is not very difficult to use. I am mostly a
plain page code writer, but the Mozilla/Netscape composer seems to be
one of the better free editors that I have seen.

davmagic2000@yahoo.com

Thank you all, but it seems you are missing my original intent, which
is a tutorial that I can reference, that explains step by step, how to
create an HTML document with a text editor on a windows based pc... ie
how to (perhaps) open MyDocuments, open File, New, open Text
Document... etc... type in the code... save as a .html file... then how
to FTP that document to an online host server! I seem to have found one
here: http://www.mcli.dist.maricopa.edu/tut/ but it is old and
references HTML 3.2 ....

I'll use it until I get a better one...

Thank You all...

http://www.paintahouse.com

davmagic2000@yahoo.com

I wrote my own Tutorial on this subject! Look here if you're
interested: http://davmagic.com/PAGES90.html

Thanks...

http://davmagic.com/

Ian Rastall

On 29 Jun 2005 00:50:53 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>it seems you are missing my original intent, which
>is a tutorial that I can reference, that explains step by step, how to
>create an HTML document with a text editor on a windows based pc... ie
>how to (perhaps) open MyDocuments, open File, New, open Text
>Document... etc... type in the code... save as a .html file... then how
>to FTP that document to an online host server!

Not sure what you mean, as you've outlined pretty much what you need
to do. Notepad is in Start > Programs > Accessories. It opens with a
fresh document. You type in your HTML, go to File > Save, and save it
as an .html file. You test it by opening up, say, IE, going to File >
Open ... Not sure if there is a Windows FTP program, but there's good
ones available.

Is that what you mean? Is it that you're on Linux or Mac and just want
to know how to go about things on Windows?

Ian
--
Was it not a comedy, a strange and stupid
matter, this repetition, this running around

Animesh Kumar

Lauri Raittila

in alt.html, Animesh Kumar wrote:
> Mark Parnell wrote:

[brucies list]

> Where are gvim and emacs

brucie didn't like them.

Kohtuuhintainen yksiö/huone haussa Oulusta syyskuusta eteenpäin.
Searching places to sleep on axis Bonn - Tsech - Poland - baltic sea in
july

Mark Parnell

Previously in alt.html, Lauri Raittila <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
> in alt.html, Animesh Kumar wrote:
>> Where are gvim and emacs

> brucie didn't like them.

Yeah, thinking I might have to start updating the list myself, since
brucie isn't likely to be around any time soon.

--
Mark Parnell
http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au
alt.html FAQ :: http://html-faq.com/

Blinky the Shark

Animesh Kumar wrote:
> Mark Parnell wrote:

><snip>
>> HTML
>> free:
>> jedit: http://www.jedit.org/
>> nedit: http://www.nedit.org/
>> screem: http://www.screem.org/
>> ewisoft: http://www.ewisoft.com/
>> netpadd: http://www.netpadd.com/
>> araneae: http://www.araneae.com/
>> 1st page: http://www.evrsoft.com/
>> crimson: http://crimsoneditor.com/
>> ezpad: http://www.mmedia.is/ezpad/
>> acehtml: http://freeware.acehtml.com/
>> notetab light: http://www.notetab.com/
>> tswebeditor: http://tswebeditor.net.tc/
>> html-kit: http://www.chami.com/html-kit/
>> context: http://www.fixedsys.com/context/
>> pspad: http://www.pspad.com/en/index.html
>> websmill: http://www.xtreeme.com/websmill/
>> metapad: http://www.liquidninja.com/metapad/
>> quanta (linux): http://quanta.sourceforge.net/
>> notespad: http://www.newbie.net/NotesPad/index.html
>> grey matter pro: http://www.pagetutor.com/misc/grey.html
>> editpad lite: http://www.editpadlite.com/editpadlite.html
>> stones webwrite: http://www.webwriter.dk/english/index.htm
>> matizha sublime: http://www.matizha.com/en/products/sublime/

> Where are gvim and emacs

And vim itself.

--
Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

davmagic2000@yahoo.com

As I replied earlier here's "what I mean":