Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Looking for Tutorial

Looking for Tutorial

davmagic2000@yahoo.com

Anyone recommend a good tutorial on how to use a plain text editor on a
windows PC, like Wordpad to write an HTML document?

TIA

http://davmagic.com/

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

> Anyone recommend a good tutorial on how to use a plain text editor
> on a windows PC, like Wordpad to write an HTML document?

1. Double-click on Wordpad icon.
2. Begin typing HTML.

--
-bts
-This space intentionally could .. not .. resist.

Ian Rastall

>(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> Anyone recommend a good tutorial on how to use a plain text editor
>> on a windows PC, like Wordpad to write an HTML document?

Any decent HTML tutorial should work fine. I would use Notepad, rather
than Wordpad, or a simple free text editor, like NoteTab Light. Since
an .html file is just plain text, just write the code and open the
file in a browser.

HTH

Ian
--
Was it not a comedy, a strange and stupid
matter, this repetition, this running around

Adrienne

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed (E-Mail Removed) writing in
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com:

> Anyone recommend a good tutorial on how to use a plain text editor on a
> windows PC, like Wordpad to write an HTML document?
>
> TIA
>
> http://davmagic.com/

Frankly, I would be sure the editor had syntax highlighting. That can save
a lot of eye strain. I like HTML-Kit, <http://www.chami.com/html-kit>
because it has lots of plugins, it uses Top Style Lite
<http://www.bradsoft.com/download/index.asp> for CSS, and uses HTML-Tidy.
Oh, and it's free.

--
Adrienne Boswell
http://www.cavalcade-of-coding.info

Roy Schestowitz

Ian Rastall wrote:

>>(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>> Anyone recommend a good tutorial on how to use a plain text editor
>>> on a windows PC, like Wordpad to write an HTML document?

> Any decent HTML tutorial should work fine. I would use Notepad, rather
> than Wordpad, or a simple free text editor, like NoteTab Light. Since
> an .html file is just plain text, just write the code and open the
> file in a browser.

I'd strongly advice you to get hold of one of the many free editors out
there. Many such editors are decent and very powerful. You will benefit in
the long run.

I personally think that Notepad is terrible. Its line-wrapping and save
mechanism (to name a few weaknesses) are poor and there is no support
text/code highlight. Notepad is only good for a 5-line TODO list, but no
task beyond that. It's lightweight, hence it's aimed at 'lightweight'
tasks.

Roy

--
Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com

Mark Parnell

Previously in alt.html, Roy Schestowitz <(E-Mail Removed)>
said:

> I'd strongly advice you to get hold of one of the many free editors out
> there. Many such editors are decent and very powerful. You will benefit in
> the long run.

Absolutely. Here are some of the best free ones:

HTML
free:
jedit: http://www.jedit.org/
nedit: http://www.nedit.org/
screem: http://www.screem.org/
ewisoft: http://www.ewisoft.com/
netpadd: http://www.netpadd.com/
araneae: http://www.araneae.com/
1st page: http://www.evrsoft.com/
crimson: http://crimsoneditor.com/
ezpad: http://www.mmedia.is/ezpad/
acehtml: http://freeware.acehtml.com/
notetab light: http://www.notetab.com/
tswebeditor: http://tswebeditor.net.tc/
html-kit: http://www.chami.com/html-kit/
context: http://www.fixedsys.com/context/
pspad: http://www.pspad.com/en/index.html
websmill: http://www.xtreeme.com/websmill/
metapad: http://www.liquidninja.com/metapad/
quanta (linux): http://quanta.sourceforge.net/
notespad: http://www.newbie.net/NotesPad/index.html
grey matter pro: http://www.pagetutor.com/misc/grey.html
editpad lite: http://www.editpadlite.com/editpadlite.html
stones webwrite: http://www.webwriter.dk/english/index.htm
matizha sublime: http://www.matizha.com/en/products/sublime/

--
Mark Parnell
http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au

Ian Rastall

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 05:23:42 +0100, Roy Schestowitz
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I'd strongly advice you to get hold of one of the many free editors out
>there. Many such editors are decent and very powerful.

This begs the question: which free text editors?

My text editor is NoteTab Pro, which is not free. The best free one
I've found is JEdit:

http://www.jedit.org/

Ian
--

Previously in alt.html, Ian Rastall <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

> This begs the question: which free text editors?

See the list I posted a few minutes ago.

> My text editor is NoteTab Pro, which is not free. The best free one
> I've found is JEdit:

Haven't used that myself. On Windows I prefer HTML-Kit. On Linux I've
been using Bluefish up to now, though I'm leaning towards Quanta Plus at
the moment.

--
Mark Parnell
http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au
alt.html FAQ :: http://html-faq.com/

Ian Rastall

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 15:00:32 +1000, Mark Parnell
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>See the list I posted a few minutes ago.

I did! We posted at the same time. <hanging head in shame>

>Haven't used that myself. On Windows I prefer HTML-Kit.

Just tried that out, as I've been looking for an HTML IDE that does
the same thing that XML Spy does for XML. Can't seem to find one. The
closest I've come is the cumbersome HTML editor that comes with the C#
IDE (which I never used anyway). Eclipse looks promising, but can't
seem to find an HTML plug-in.

Ian
--

Mark Parnell wrote:

> Previously in alt.html, Ian Rastall <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>
>> This begs the question: which free text editors?

> See the list I posted a few minutes ago.
>
>> My text editor is NoteTab Pro, which is not free. The best free one
>> I've found is JEdit:

> Haven't used that myself. On Windows I prefer HTML-Kit. On Linux I've
> been using Bluefish up to now, though I'm leaning towards Quanta Plus at
> the moment.

I'd nod to that. Quanta is an editor that I only discovered about a year ago
(I had it installed by default). It potentially saves a lot of typing.

I tend to edit all the files on the server itself using cPanel's File
Manager. It is far from a helpful editor, I wish it was better, but it
redeems me from the need to ever transfer files.

Roy

--
Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com