Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Linking to files with umlauted characters

Linking to files with umlauted characters

jb

Given a file named undund.txt on a server...

None of the following loads the file in Firefox or IE:

Firefox loads the file if undund.txt is typed directly into the URL
bar but the name is shown as %E4und%F6und%FC.txt.

....doesn't seem to work either.

Am I missing something?

Edwin van der Vaart

jb wrote:
> Given a file named undund.txt on a server...
>
> None of the following loads the file in Firefox or IE:

> Firefox loads the file if undund.txt is typed directly into the URL
> bar but the name is shown as %E4und%F6und%FC.txt.

> ...doesn't seem to work either.
>
> Am I missing something?

Try <a href="%E4und%F6und%FC.txt">undund.txt</a>
--
Edwin van der Vaart

Edwin van der Vaart

Edwin van der Vaart wrote:

> Try <a href="%E4und%F6und%FC.txt">undund.txt</a>

Ooops.
Instead of <a href="%E4und%F6und%FC.txt">undund.txt</a>, it must be
--
Edwin van der Vaart

David Dorward

Edwin van der Vaart wrote:

> Edwin van der Vaart wrote:

>> Try <a href="%E4und%F6und%FC.txt">undund.txt</a>

> Instead of <a href="%E4und%F6und%FC.txt">undund.txt</a>, it must be

No need to use numberic character references for unicode characters - just
save the document in a character encoding that supports the characters (lke
UTF-, and make sure the server includes that information in the HTTP
response header.

Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

jb

Edwin van der Vaart wrote:
> jb wrote:
>
>> Given a file named undund.txt on a server...
>>
>> None of the following loads the file in Firefox or IE:

>> Firefox loads the file if undund.txt is typed directly into the URL
>> bar but the name is shown as %E4und%F6und%FC.txt.

>> ...doesn't seem to work either.
>>
>> Am I missing something?

> Try <a href="%E4und%F6und%FC.txt">undund.txt</a>

That works. Many thank you's

Edwin van der Vaart

David Dorward wrote:
> Edwin van der Vaart wrote:
>>Edwin van der Vaart wrote:

>>>Try <a href="%E4und%F6und%FC.txt">undund.txt</a>

>>Instead of <a href="%E4und%F6und%FC.txt">undund.txt</a>, it must be

> No need to use numberic character references for unicode characters - just
> save the document in a character encoding that supports the characters (lke
> UTF-, and make sure the server includes that information in the HTTP
> response header.

You mean save the document as *.txt with e.g. vi, gedit or notepad.
Upload to the webhost server and whalla it works great.
--
Edwin van der Vaart

David Dorward

Edwin van der Vaart wrote:

>> No need to use numberic character references for unicode characters -
>> just save the document in a character encoding that supports the
>> characters (like UTF-, and make sure the server includes that
>> information in the HTTP response header.

> You mean save the document as *.txt with e.g. vi, gedit or notepad.

I mean what I said (except for the typo of "numeric"). For a start we're
talking about an HTML document, not a plain text file, and you have to
ensure that you editor uses a suitable character encoding.

> Upload to the webhost server and whalla it works great.

So long as the server tells the browser what character encoding was used.

Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

Edwin van der Vaart

David Dorward wrote:
> Edwin van der Vaart wrote:
>

>>>No need to use numberic character references for unicode characters -
>>>just save the document in a character encoding that supports the
>>>characters (like UTF-, and make sure the server includes that
>>>information in the HTTP response header.

>>You mean save the document as *.txt with e.g. vi, gedit or notepad.

> I mean what I said (except for the typo of "numeric"). For a start we're
> talking about an HTML document, not a plain text file, and you have to
> ensure that you editor uses a suitable character encoding.

Sorry about that. I thought you was referring to the text file.
Thanx for clearing that up.

>>Upload to the webhost server and whalla it works great.

> So long as the server tells the browser what character encoding was used.

You're right.
--
Edwin van der Vaart

jb

Curiously, this does not work in IE6, but does in Firefox.

For IE6, it needs to be:

jb

> Curiously, this does not work in IE6, but does in Firefox.
>
> For IE6, it needs to be:

Actually, it was a charset problem. iso-8859-1 works for both; I was
using utf-8.