Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Is this illegal

Is this illegal

Will S

"Lauri Raittila" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) t...
> in alt.html, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> Lauri Raittila wrote:

>> > I don't understand this sentence.

Its called been lazy, I am using CSS and have

H1 {
color : Maroon;
font-size : 48px;
text-align : center;
}

Now I am putting images instead of txt ie <H1> Image file</H1>

Is this legal ?

> Still don't, but I fail to see how anyone else could... URLs would be
> nice...

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~wlsutton/

I am strictly amateur and its a hobby that I have started on after a 5 year
break.
And yes I will be fixing the alt text for graphics ( most have but I missed
a few )

>> > [Subject:] Is this illegal
>> > No, it is best way to do it, if you have your heading in image. Of
>> > course, it would be better to not have text on images.

>> I think that the original poster knows very well that he does not comply
>> with standards.

> The fact is that image inside h1 both comply standard, and is the best
> markup, if that image contains heading. If image is not heading, then it
> is not good to use h1 for it, of course, but I fail to see why h1 was
> used then, exept if OP doesnt know what is div element, and class
> attribute, in which I find unlikely, but maybe it is possible.
>
>> He cannot be assured that his pages will get rendered
>> correctly in all browsers. Moreover, he demands more tolerance from the
>> browser, which he should not do.

> Exactly what tolerance is he looking, as it is valid and correct in
> browsers poitn of few.
>
>> Since there is no font size associated with an image, why not just use a
>> more suitable, rational element than HEADER? If one already breaks the
>> rules by embedding important text in an image, why break the document
>> structure too?

> Exactly. If the important text in the image is heading, heading markup
> should be used, even if it does make it bit more complicated.
>
> [OP: find OE quotefix or get rid of the sig. It's place is not as first
> thing in your post. Also learn to only quote relevant parts, and if you
> want good answer, try explain what you are doing...]

Had include sig in replies ticked..........its is now unticked

Lauri Raittila

in alt.html, Will S wrote:

> Now I am putting images instead of txt ie <H1> Image file</H1>
> Is this legal ?

As long as those images are the most important heading in page, and have
alt attribute.

> http://members.ozemail.com.au/~wlsutton/

If you add alt="Will's World" to that image, it will be legal.

Kohtuuhintainen yksi÷/huone haussa Oulusta syyskuusta eteenpńin.
Searching places to sleep on axis Bonn - Tsech - Poland - baltic sea in
july

Dan

Will S wrote:
> Now I am putting images instead of txt ie <H1> Image file</H1>
>
> Is this legal ?

You won't be sent to jail for doing it. It won't even stop your HTML
from validating, if your image element has the required ALT attribute.
However, it may or may not be good logical structure, depending on
whether the content of the image (and its ALT attribute value) is
actually a first-level header for your document. If your intent is
merely to cause the images to be centered, but they're not headers,
then you'd be better off defining a class for that purpose in your
stylesheet, and then using a class attribute in a div element
surrounding the content you wish to center.

> Had include sig in replies ticked..........its is now unticked

If you were using a decent mail/news program, you'd have the option of
putting the sig blocks where they belong, below the quoted material;
you're apparently using one that tries to push you into top-posting
instead.

--
Dan

Will S

news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Will S wrote:
>> Now I am putting images instead of txt ie <H1> Image file</H1>
>>
>> Is this legal ?

> You won't be sent to jail for doing it. It won't even stop your HTML
> from validating, if your image element has the required ALT attribute.
> However, it may or may not be good logical structure, depending on
> whether the content of the image (and its ALT attribute value) is
> actually a first-level header for your document. If your intent is
> merely to cause the images to be centered, but they're not headers,
> then you'd be better off defining a class for that purpose in your
> stylesheet, and then using a class attribute in a div element
> surrounding the content you wish to center.

I am new to style sheets. So I give all the images that I want centred the
same ID and then put that ID in style sheets as centred ?

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Will S wrote:
> I am new to style sheets. So I give all the images that I want
> centred the same ID and then put that ID in style sheets as centred

IDs are unique. You may only use an ID word once in a document. A
class will do what you want, and be legal.

Try your page at: http://validator.w3.org/

--
-bts
-This space intentionally left blank.