Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > How to wrap continous text?

How to wrap continous text?

Jonathan N. Little

Lauri Raittila wrote:

> in alt.html, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>

>>Because the line is continuous with no spaces, the browser won't wrap
>>the text. My goal is to have the text wrap according to the size of
>>the browser window.
>>
>>Anyone know how to do this? Thanks!

> CSS: white-spacere-line;
> http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/text.html#white-space-prop
>
> For IE, word-wrap:break-word might work.
>
> Don't know much about support.
>
> And then there is of course <wbr>. More:
> http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/html/nobr.html#suggest

Why not rethink it. Just pre-break it into a static reasonable character
count, like 72 characters. Then with your presentation put it in a div
styled to separated it from your main text and convey that the genome
characters are one continuous block of code?

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

Lauri Raittila

in alt.html, Jonathan N. Little wrote:
[following my post, instead OPs for some reason]

> Why not rethink it. Just pre-break it into a static reasonable character
> count, like 72 characters. Then with your presentation put it in a div
> styled to separated it from your main text and convey that the genome
> characters are one continuous block of code?

I don't know how genome is to be used, but if it makes sence to copy
part/whole of this long string of characters, having spaces here/there
hurts copypasting.

Kohtuuhintainen yksi/huone haussa Oulusta syyskuusta eteenpin.
Searching places to sleep on axis Bonn - Tsech - Poland - baltic sea in
july

AF

On 25 Jun 2005 06:00:28 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>Hi.
>
>I have a line of text that is hundreds of characters long, and that I
>need to display on a page.
>
>Because the line is continuous with no spaces, the browser won't wrap
>the text. My goal is to have the text wrap according to the size of
>the browser window.
>
>Anyone know how to do this? Thanks!
>
>Example code:

>................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ................................................

Do you have a php enabled web server?

If so look into using php to break a long line into smaller strings.
then display the strings one after another.

If you need people to be able to access the data as one long line and
then use it as such, give them a link to download text file with the
long string in it.

And if you don't want to go to any more work than necessary, as in
typing and retype the string, put the string in a text file. Then
look into the php include command to retrieve the line as data from
the above text file, parse the line, ie break it up into smaller
variables, display the variables and a link to down load the file.
Then you have only typed the line in once.

By the way, if you have many of these one liners to show on the web,
and thus have many html pages to create, there are other ways php can
help you. You can for example create one html file as a template for
displaying a line, if that is what you want to do, and you can then
use the php to in effect create a web page per line. It can also
create links, and do many other things automatically. php saves a web
master a lot of time whenever he or she has repetitious data to
publish.

If you are interested, just send me an email ,
(E-Mail Removed)
, taking out the appropriate letters, and give me some idea of what
you are trying to do. I can give you a rough idea of the commands and
logic you need to follow for no charge. I don't have the time to
teach you php, but it is actually very simple to learn, especially
considering how powerful it is.

I say easy to learn. What I should say is that while there is a lot
to php, a novice with little knowledge of a few commands, syntax, and
logic can be very effective on the web. To be an expert takes a lot
longer.

Best regards,

Al
http://www.affordablefloridainsurance.com
http://www.americanbestmortgages.com

Andy Dingley

On 25 Jun 2005 17:32:12 GMT, Blinky the Shark <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Okay, what are a couple?

Any enormous data stream: genomics, crypto, source code, whatever you
want.

But it's a basic rule of communication that things that are difficult to
read are particularly difficult to make use of. We don't need to read
lines of more than 132 characters because we'd never remeber them, or
transcribe them accurately if we did. If you expect your poor bloody
user to actually _do_ something with these, then they need to be in
smaller chunks - our savannah-dwelling, lion-dodging brains just don't
"do" enormous text strings, unless you're Kim Peek.

AF

On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 21:39:10 +0100, Andy Dingley
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On 25 Jun 2005 17:32:12 GMT, Blinky the Shark <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>
>>Okay, what are a couple?

>Any enormous data stream: genomics, crypto, source code, whatever you
>want.
>
>But it's a basic rule of communication that things that are difficult to
>read are particularly difficult to make use of. We don't need to read
>lines of more than 132 characters because we'd never remeber them, or
>transcribe them accurately if we did. If you expect your poor bloody
>user to actually _do_ something with these, then they need to be in
>smaller chunks - our savannah-dwelling, lion-dodging brains just don't
>"do" enormous text strings, unless you're Kim Peek.

Below is a large chunk of data. Can you read it? Pleasescroll down
to the end of the post.

---------------------------
-----Beginning of DATA

JFIF

 $.' ",#(7),01444'9=82<.342 C

2!!222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222 22222  p

"

 7

!1AQa"q2?#RBC$b

 %

!1"Aaq23Q

 ? & *TEz`<Wh1?35aX
*yY
fʘjy?6
4?&,2
" ic(%(3L)8GH,W@4Ӹ
䉲iI
7v
^Hsb:U6_%^d6As*9rim`28 sW
B2Xzr6ڿ)*pU[
d.F~٤qP|?޺h\SJ?G*zM: QJc<#HX婩 UJl*<T!;R
I5sxb5
%T*~js)&9$>}9bX's?YMIƿP h"(̎TI5K'ěT`[nxgUS5[Q΃y"X]^ɶ9%.?W
nR
'Dnb_*xBph?*zhWVuk,e}{nlV5}L+ ykʬ\*Qa];
a ?V?
hOl^ ^?
43p_.w7ă
A5#b VuA(2yC|MT i?L54@k%g$c
?ي?G`3DC5İB$#Z =lJަtțH
qomz@?*\kLe_ wv.
Pт0"uL)QJK.S
a20>bJ7RB$U{MCZUWU0Y_z
;N?~/f]w9'f؛UH
4C( _TRMm0Iه=\+F]Q;??L4YUnܜQ!|Z3(*
[\W3AcZmՄIL4x!qJh*vE
<:B*S??s= Yx`k;? a
*uޛ~7: b:Gy??'
`z^\n;9ְԧ?Jx=Ȱ0vrNOsք ?Qp|3
-qǯ޻ҺV|Q8/$R74F$
JkRP9v9yxCj|04J;8SKȪͿ U:&0t[eeDfN?j)Ѥ(m~L?&F2g?* é
/*Ỹ?)n%Ht+9`Rw
B`?wj۫.Wj-9QSHte}?M}?>BO?II
d=;סhZχDn
K,&'8zqwP[Q;p@r?XTFH`Έ0uGc^q=[S4x&;ޚl*3\Cn/WC`:fym bHX'.xSxT[/-
[@?{d3L*tr_Ah,T('68Y]ZfYe%C
Lg5C!gs<CVGvQ)U%[Nc5e?¿
Xg?j
ǽ6Wf2G?y=L|;
r-fL$8;az
?Nu#33j
oM&rkNh`*/1ҩ~Lȧީ3T&œK?7o!H@h5U8f S&k*z&GS !ުoB+?dhB9*V?$bU( o擫no|Jט,;e?\_EiۜVOP` +Oj(hk#<
'TҜ=5(IVaJi3oV!1
?{z+zbu"
oi|S~#f ?)qAҩ^6?Jm!>١qQ3Q}JX
egB DcJ\r4cZ? cH!#ִ/ q
0'ڊi|V0ۖ8j)10e `z y$&?!,=*kRx
f$\ff?-@
H#
sI
&i?+F"U{YIɃR
3N)SZ"%=*f!xC A|@3S΃
d!N*
wt
usSQ
i-Ȯ6O
CKo֖85GE݌UM'Z<xɪO{<?? S4qYsh\ȫxT9=eÓsZ|o
" {| M/>@ą3m
?&m'*M?몒j1AFzx
6#e5=Zݪ5լ1O?9?=]-B56Kv
'Ud/E4ئ%oc֙[tk?˻˘lvGsׯy$,Hy3?*
?i6[K=.V@ٱX?3{V+?fW

sgOoBQVB $2}}*??/PP̀
͟MCI2?ol
0b?N#(">NY~hUD4/;NXV$BiڧI
*5{q`;?I;zM!n*yHlyn}OF
jߔc29Z i yr
> acsYVI-ģ20QKX-i
99DZθW(1 884NM1}6 ! ?j41 syF5&

’EgZ;AHV"bw
c?cKS}%-*Z?&7W9~>?? !P{9鷒
y>Tbf`H;[;㧧4;Lm+[i|/H
yS9N1+n3<vNcdF~C?y+If
zVkF6x6v=*Z*#Ag1.@i;RzcTw*+Khr8$R{" uP[?NqP&Gxe
 }Z *U+ڀv?S
?4\[?N&y ?u ?.
`Ho?Ol|QpHtimA
&j)lOc鑳X0`80CwRQ#/ɧ+f
&3F#ϻn:ЕV?Pdr4pj.Ngo-GQU4*&5;T3[9?,Ÿ>ֳVX岷[d
GJ)tmjh9h̶T`-Ke>
-v!yiU

-----End of Data
---------------------------

Go here to see it better:

http://www.friendsofblackwater.org/large_wall.jpg

The point is there are legitimate uses of large strings of data, even
if you can't see them. In this case the jpg's data is converted to
something more "readable" by us.

In the case of the original poster, it sounds like he is using a
browser and the Web to show and to transfer data. Showing it can be
done by breaking it into smaller strings as several in this group have
suggested.

Using it is a different story.
Best regards,

Al
http://www.affordablefloridainsurance.com
http://www.americanbestmortgages.com

dorayme

> Ah yes, soft hyphens work in Firefox, but not Safari it seems. Thanks
> for the half fix!

In IE 5 for Mac or Mozilla, there seems no luck either. In one there is no
change, in the other there are raised hyphens...

What about this: you make a space between every tiny bit of life. Then it
will wrap, the info is so long anyway, would it matter if it is twice as
long?. But you can probably even control the spaces with css to be smaller
than usual and so not appear as normal. You will get it to look even, it
will be regular and it will wrap

dorayme

Andy Dingley

On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 21:50:33 GMT, AF <bscinc3000@Yahoo_NoSpam.com>
wrote:

>The point is there are legitimate uses of large strings of data,

But that isn't a "string" of data, in the way we're using "string" here,
to mean a sequence of characters, displayed as text glyphs.

Lauri Raittila

in alt.html, Andy Dingley wrote:
> On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 21:50:33 GMT, AF <bscinc3000@Yahoo_NoSpam.com>
> wrote:
>
> >The point is there are legitimate uses of large strings of data,

Yes, but you really failed to proof it... After all, even the point of
having JPG as string, as it is not possible to put this data back to get
image...

> But that isn't a "string" of data, in the way we're using "string" here,
> to mean a sequence of characters, displayed as text glyphs.

Puzzle: find all words in your language from following:

ferkrehgkehsjgthgjgajesaglrahesgbrksgknrkejgbrkseb rkbegjrjerkgejrgkekjbee
rbkrebgkerkgbkjrbjergesankraebgjehkejgjshfjkdshgrk ngkjnrjghejrkghejjeubro
odhgekkjehasgjrhgskhlkejleawjaojgjwrejgsldfmwe sjfgesnrvcajeosfsefejor
ailojkjkjkhgreejwaedaweojawvnankdnfkelrfherklsag rerwakhfreklngkeskrngek

It is much easier to copy paste these words, if they are cut from the
middle if there is no space in between.

If you don't know the words, then you can't cut it nice parts beforehand.
And different people may prefer different lenght of lines. For puzzle, it
is not big problem, but lets say your job is to find something from this
kind of data...

Kohtuuhintainen yksi/huone haussa Oulusta syyskuusta eteenpin.
Searching places to sleep on axis Bonn - Tsech - Poland - baltic sea in
july

Nick Theodorakis

On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 20:08:40 +0200, Lauri Raittila
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>in alt.html, Jonathan N. Little wrote:
>[following my post, instead OPs for some reason]
>
>> Why not rethink it. Just pre-break it into a static reasonable character
>> count, like 72 characters. Then with your presentation put it in a div
>> styled to separated it from your main text and convey that the genome
>> characters are one continuous block of code?

>I don't know how genome is to be used, but if it makes sence to copy
>part/whole of this long string of characters, having spaces here/there
>hurts copypasting.

Most tools for analyzing DNA sequence ignore spaces and line feeds
and many even discard line numbers.

Nick

--
Nick Theodorakis
(E-Mail Removed)

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, Nick Theodorakis quothed

> Most tools for analyzing DNA sequence ignore spaces and line feeds
> and many even discard line numbers.

That explains it. I knew that the space in my wife's head got ignored
somehow.

--
Neredbojias