Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Transparency

Transparency

jafar

Hi.
I've made some buttons in The Gimp using transparency and saved as .png's.
The problem is that in every browser except IE the transparency works
fine. In IE the buttons have a white background instead. Is there any way
around this?
Here's a link to a page that doesn't use bgsound for those that hate it
http://moonlife-records.com/samples.html
Take a look and help me if you can.
Cheers!

--
Jafar Calley
Producer - http://moonlife-records.com

Animesh Kumar

jafar wrote:
> Hi.
> I've made some buttons in The Gimp using transparency and saved as .png's.
> The problem is that in every browser except IE the transparency works
> fine. In IE the buttons have a white background instead. Is there any way
> around this?
> Here's a link to a page that doesn't use bgsound for those that hate it
> http://moonlife-records.com/samples.html
> Take a look and help me if you can.
> Cheers!

Use GIF. GIF works fine in all browsers. I learnt recently that
transparent PNGs are not handled nicely by IE (and indeed I observed
this as well).

Best

dorayme

> From: jafar <(E-Mail Removed)>
> http://moonlife-records.com/samples.html

Your little browser detection gif is amusing. Nice one. Just a suggestion:
make it play just once and not loop... the joke won't be any more
transparent by repetition - there, that brings this remark more onto your
topic...

dorayme

Mark Parnell

Previously in alt.html, jafar <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

> I've made some buttons in The Gimp using transparency and saved as .png's.
> The problem is that in every browser except IE the transparency works
> fine. In IE the buttons have a white background instead. Is there any way
> around this?

IE doesn't support alpha transparency in PNGs. There is an MS "filter"
for it, although it means your pages won't validate.

http://tinyurl.com/7c89g
http://www.msdn.microsoft.com/worksh...mageloader.asp

--
Mark Parnell
http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au

Leif K-Brooks

Animesh Kumar wrote:
> Use GIF. GIF works fine in all browsers. I learnt recently that
> transparent PNGs are not handled nicely by IE (and indeed I observed
> this as well).

Binary PNG transparency works just fine in IE. It's just translucency, a
feature that GIF doesn't have, that doesn't work right in IE.

Animesh Kumar

Leif K-Brooks wrote:
> Animesh Kumar wrote:
>
>>Use GIF. GIF works fine in all browsers. I learnt recently that
>>transparent PNGs are not handled nicely by IE (and indeed I observed
>>this as well).

> Binary PNG transparency works just fine in IE. It's just translucency, a
> feature that GIF doesn't have, that doesn't work right in IE.

Interesting. I had some problems with transparency in a png file as
well. I made background transparent with GIMP if that is an issue.

Best

windandwaves

jafar wrote:
> Hi.
> I've made some buttons in The Gimp using transparency and saved as
> .png's.

I only ever use GIFS and JPEGS in any of my sites because

a. they are usually smaller than PNGs
b. they are supported by all browsers

Use Gifs when you have images that need to be clearcut and have limited
number of colours (i.e. writing, words, letters, buttons, borders,
background-colors, etc...) and use JPEG for any photographic type material
(lots of colours).

I am sure you know this, but just in case you wondered, that is what works
best for me.

Images are the most important items (apart from music, videos, etc...) in
terms of size, so you can save a lot by paying close attention to choosing
the right image. In general, I found PNGs to be larger than GIFs or JPEGs.

Cheers

- Nicolaas

Mark Parnell

Previously in alt.html, windandwaves <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

> I only ever use GIFS and JPEGS in any of my sites because
>
> a. they are usually smaller than PNGs

Examples? I'm sure someone here can manage to get your GIFs (and
possibly some JPEGs) smaller by making them PNGs, without any loss of
quality.

> b. they are supported by all browsers

So are PNGs, except for alpha transparency, which isn't even possible in
GIFs or JPEGs. So this point is moot.

> In general, I found PNGs to be larger than GIFs or JPEGs.

In most cases that means either your image editor isn't very good at
compressing PNGs, or you're not selecting the right options.

--
Mark Parnell
http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au
alt.html FAQ :: http://html-faq.com/

jafar

Thanks for your replies. I guess IE isn't standard enough?
Is it a good idea to offer the MS patch on my homepage?

--
Jafar Calley
Producer - http://moonlife-records.com
See the latest Mars and Saturn images
http://fatcat.homelinux.org

jafar

Oops. Just looked at Mark's link. It's something I actually have to put in
my page. I think I'll just leave it so my page is standard and wait for MS
to fix it.