Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Transparency

Transparency

dorayme

> From: Blinky the Shark <(E-Mail Removed)>

A friend reckons he found a story (which he emailed to me) about a prof
filling up jars in a demo to students of some sound philosophy about life on
your website. It was a very nice story.

dorayme

Els

dorayme wrote:

>> From: "Richard" <@invalid.com>

>> "dorayme" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:BEE73CF0.13AFF%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>>> Here in Sydney you can get good and reliable dialup for $20 Australian a
>>> month, and you can be on all day and generally not be kicked off.

>> You do have to figure in the hidden costs though.
>>
>> If you don't want to tie up your only land line you need an extra one. If
>> you do tie up your only land line you will be tempted to use the cell phone
>> to call out for the required pizza etc. Expensive.
>>
>> If you don't tie up your land line then remember that it's 20c or so for
>> each phone call to reconnect.
>>
>> I convinced the bloke next door to move from the AU$20 a month dial up plan
>> to AU$45 a month (then) cable, basically by asking him how many phone calls
>> his daughters were making to connect. Turned out to be AU$40 per month in
>> phone calls.
>>

> Yes, I understand what you are saying. Depends on the case. In my case it is
> convenient to be on dial up all day, have the mobile for incoming and use
> email and text messaging online and the occasional call by leaving dialup
> (at 22c a pop and 100 free calls, it is very little). And I don't eat
> take-away - I like living on this earth and want to be around.
>
> Hey, about neighbours: may I share with you the intense irritation at the
> fellow opposite me. He was not happy with even his 1.5 MB ADSL. When he was
> away I had to help his dad do something and I downloaded Firefox in a
> minute or two or three (imagine that after being on dialup). O No! This
> connection was not goddamn good enough for the son, he announced to me he
> had a new connection now, something slightly more fancy than adsl (still on
> copper tho) and now has 5 or 10 times faster without the former pesky 10GB
> download limit. Yeah well! I have thought of two possibilities to deal with
> this situation, both probably illegal. (1) Buying him a wireless router and
> taking some of his bandwidth. (2) Killing him outright and suddenly. I
> really would hate to do latter as he is quite a nice chap.

Why not (3) Paying him a bit every month, provide the wireless, and
share his bandwidth?
(might still be illegal, but then you're stealing from the ISP, not
the neighbour)

--
Els http://locusmeus.com/
- Renato Russo -

Blinky the Shark

dorayme wrote:

>> From: Blinky the Shark <(E-Mail Removed)>

> A friend reckons he found a story (which he emailed to me) about a prof
> filling up jars in a demo to students of some sound philosophy about life on
> your website. It was a very nice story.

Thanks.

I wish I'd written it; I'm happy to be able to preserve it.

For the terminally (pun intended!) curious:

http://blinkynet.net/humor/story/philo.html

--
Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

Edwin van der Vaart

Blinky the Shark wrote:
> Edwin van der Vaart wrote:
>>Blinky the Shark wrote:

>>>Mmmmm. Just in time for our July national holiday.

>>I did saw the movie "The Independance day".
>>
>>>More patriotic flesh: http://blinkynet.net/stuff/flesh.jpg

>>This's over done.

> Meant for its humor value.

I meant the flag is over done

http://www.evandervaart.nl/news/warmfuzz.gif
--
Edwin van der Vaart

dorayme

> From: Els <(E-Mail Removed)>

> dorayme wrote:

>> Hey, about neighbours: may I share with you the intense irritation at the
>> fellow opposite me. He was not happy with even his 1.5 MB ADSL. When he was
>> away I had to help his dad do something and I downloaded Firefox in a
>> minute or two or three (imagine that after being on dialup). O No! This
>> connection was not goddamn good enough for the son, he announced to me he
>> had a new connection now, something slightly more fancy than adsl (still on
>> copper tho) and now has 5 or 10 times faster without the former pesky 10GB
>> download limit. Yeah well! I have thought of two possibilities to deal with
>> this situation, both probably illegal. (1) Buying him a wireless router and
>> taking some of his bandwidth. (2) Killing him outright and suddenly. I
>> really would hate to do latter as he is quite a nice chap.

> Why not (3) Paying him a bit every month, provide the wireless, and
> share his bandwidth?
> (might still be illegal, but then you're stealing from the ISP, not
> the neighbour)

I sort of lean towards (2), because (a) I might as well be hung for a sheep
as a lamb, (b) going along with it is slightly undignified, he would be my
feudal lord in control of my supply, he is a kid. (c) he is clever and could
tap into my secret and astonishing communications. On the other hand he is
(d) a nice kid but (b) a huge kid, able to crush me with one hand, almost
accidentally. Ah, maybe I will just forget about it, exult in the strength
of making do with less. Less is more...

dorayme

(btw, for one brief moment in time (a day I recall), I had a more modern
mobile than this neighbour)

Els

dorayme wrote:

>> From: Els <(E-Mail Removed)>

>> dorayme wrote:

>>> Hey, about neighbours: may I share with you the intense irritation at the
>>> fellow opposite me. He was not happy with even his 1.5 MB ADSL. When he was
>>> away I had to help his dad do something and I downloaded Firefox in a
>>> minute or two or three (imagine that after being on dialup). O No! This
>>> connection was not goddamn good enough for the son, he announced to me he
>>> had a new connection now, something slightly more fancy than adsl (still on
>>> copper tho) and now has 5 or 10 times faster without the former pesky 10GB
>>> download limit. Yeah well! I have thought of two possibilities to deal with
>>> this situation, both probably illegal. (1) Buying him a wireless router and
>>> taking some of his bandwidth. (2) Killing him outright and suddenly. I
>>> really would hate to do latter as he is quite a nice chap.

>> Why not (3) Paying him a bit every month, provide the wireless, and
>> share his bandwidth?
>> (might still be illegal, but then you're stealing from the ISP, not
>> the neighbour)

> I sort of lean towards (2), because (a) I might as well be hung for a sheep
> as a lamb, (b) going along with it is slightly undignified, he would be my
> feudal lord in control of my supply, he is a kid. (c) he is clever and could
> tap into my secret and astonishing communications. On the other hand he is
> (d) a nice kid but (b) a huge kid, able to crush me with one hand, almost
> accidentally.

Sounds like (2) isn't an option because of (e)(which you accidentally
named (b)) and possibly (d). (c) is indeed a good reason to think
twice about (3), but (b) is just plain arrogant

> Ah, maybe I will just forget about it, exult in the strength
> of making do with less.

Makes sense

> Less is more...

Tell that to the person who can't get a reasonable download speed on
his Internet connection.

Oh, wait - that's you

> (btw, for one brief moment in time (a day I recall), I had a more modern
> mobile than this neighbour)

Cherish the memory <g>

--
Els http://locusmeus.com/
- Renato Russo -

dorayme

> From: Els <(E-Mail Removed)>
>
> Sounds like (2) isn't an option because of (e)(which you accidentally
> named (b)) and possibly (d). (c) is indeed a good reason to think
> twice about (3), but (b) is just plain arrogant

Yes, you are right. Luckily, he takes it in good humour when I tell him such
things. One good reason to be very careful about breaking the law is that I
might be investigated by someone with as good a set of forensic skills as
you Els! What letter of the alphabet would this reason be, e, f or are we
onto a further sub category, (i) ...

dorayme

Els

dorayme wrote:

>> From: Els <(E-Mail Removed)>
>>
>> Sounds like (2) isn't an option because of (e)(which you accidentally
>> named (b)) and possibly (d). (c) is indeed a good reason to think
>> twice about (3), but (b) is just plain arrogant
>>

> Yes, you are right. Luckily, he takes it in good humour when I tell him such
> things. One good reason to be very careful about breaking the law is that I
> might be investigated by someone with as good a set of forensic skills as
> you Els! What letter of the alphabet would this reason be, e, f or are we
> onto a further sub category, (i) ...

My forensic skills are limited to watching British detectives on TV

--
Els http://locusmeus.com/
- Renato Russo -