Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > FTP Question

FTP Question

Tony Cooper

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 04:07:44 GMT, "Jonathan N. Little"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Tony Cooper wrote:
>> On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 01:45:07 +0100, "Joker7" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>

>>>"Tony Cooper" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
>>>: Since this group is probably familiar with the FTP process, I'll try
>>>: this here:
>>>:
>>>
>>>Post url so we can see whats up
>>>

>> http://home.earthlink.net/~tony_cooper213/index.html
>>
>> This comes up, but the links don't link.
>>
>> If you're familiar with Adobe Gallery, what should appear with the
>> above are thumbnails which, when clicked, link to the larger image.
>>

>First of all I would recommend that your *STOP* using Adobe Gallery to
>generate your html, it is really crappy code, a hodgepodge of inline
>style and legacy html.
>
>Next this is a snippet from the page:
>
><A href =" pages/cacmd%20005.html"><FONT size="3" face="Arial" >
> ^
> |
> +---What's this space, a boo-boo!
>
>and this:
>
>cacmd 005.jpg</FONT>
> ^
> |
> +--- And this space
>
>Embedded space in file names and paths can cause all kinds of trouble,
>some OS's and servers can handle them, many do not.
>
>So is your folder really named '[space]pages' or just 'pages'? That
>'%20' in 'cacmd%20005.html' space in the filename...

All that aside, many people use Adobe Web Gallery as a convenient way
to share images with family and a small group friends. It works for
them, but it isn't working for me.

If I want to do a web page, I can do it. There are situations where
that is the way to go, and situations where a quick gallery is the way
to go. There are other gallery programs available, and I could use
them.

Don't you understand, though, that there are times when you run up
against a roadblock and you just get stubborn and decide "I'll figure
this out."? That's where I am here.

As to the above, I don't write the tags. They're generated by Adobe.

--
Tony Cooper
Orlando FL

Tony Cooper

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 04:10:52 GMT, Dennis <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On 22 Jun 2005 Tony Cooper wrote in alt.html
>

>> http://home.earthlink.net/~tony_cooper213/index.html
>>
>> This comes up, but the links don't link.

>First things first. Get your email address off your site or you will be
>getting a **** load of never ending spam!!!

The Gallery is sent just to friends and family via a link in email.
My address is already available through newsgroups because I don't
munge it. I already get a **** load of spam. I just filter and
delete.

--
Tony Cooper
Orlando FL

Tony Cooper

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 04:22:13 GMT, Dennis <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On 22 Jun 2005 Tony Cooper wrote in alt.html
>
>> On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 01:45:07 +0100, "Joker7" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>

>>>"Tony Cooper" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
>>>: Since this group is probably familiar with the FTP process, I'll try
>>>: this here:
>>>:
>>>
>>>Post url so we can see whats up
>>>

>> http://home.earthlink.net/~tony_cooper213/index.html
>>
>> This comes up, but the links don't link.
>>
>> If you're familiar with Adobe Gallery, what should appear with the
>> above are thumbnails which, when clicked, link to the larger image.
>>

>I kinda looks like you didn't upload your "pages' directory to the corect
>place. You have the 'webup' directory up there but with nothing in it. I
>would guess you broke the directory structure. In other words, things just
>arn't where they should be.

Right. But how *should* I upload the folders?

--
Tony Cooper
Orlando FL

Dennis

On 22 Jun 2005 Jonathan N. Little wrote in alt.html

> Next this is a snippet from the page:
>
> <A href =" pages/cacmd%20005.html"><FONT size="3" face="Arial" >
> ^
> |
> +---What's this space, a boo-boo!

I see no space there <A href="pages/cacmd%20005.html">

--
Dennis

Dennis

On 22 Jun 2005 Tony Cooper wrote in alt.html

> On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 04:22:13 GMT, Dennis <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>On 22 Jun 2005 Tony Cooper wrote in alt.html

>>> http://home.earthlink.net/~tony_cooper213/index.html
>>>
>>> This comes up, but the links don't link.
>>>
>>> If you're familiar with Adobe Gallery, what should appear with the
>>> above are thumbnails which, when clicked, link to the larger image.
>>>

>>I kinda looks like you didn't upload your "pages' directory to the corect
>>place. You have the 'webup' directory up there but with nothing in it. I
>>would guess you broke the directory structure. In other words, things

just
>>arn't where they should be.

> Right. But how *should* I upload the folders?

I don't know anything about Brandyware's FreeFTP but if you can upload a
folder named 'pages' than you should be able to upload your folder named
'webup' with it's contents intact.

--
Dennis

Joker7

: wrote:
:
: http://home.earthlink.net/~tony_cooper213/index.html
:
: This comes up, but the links don't link.
:
: If you're familiar with Adobe Gallery, what should appear with the
: above are thumbnails which, when clicked, link to the larger image.

When you FTP to the site can you see dir: thumbnails & pages, if so where ?

As the link is broken somewhere. One way to test this is to drop a
index.html in each dir: with it's name then try to see it with your browser.

Chris

Jonathan N. Little

Dennis wrote:
> On 22 Jun 2005 Jonathan N. Little wrote in alt.html
>

>>Next this is a snippet from the page:
>>
>><A href =" pages/cacmd%20005.html"><FONT size="3" face="Arial" >
>> ^
>> |
>> +---What's this space, a boo-boo!

> I see no space there <A href="pages/cacmd%20005.html">

Not on the thumbnail links, look further down the page where the links
are repeated with the image filenames as the text in the link! The
inconstancy alone speaks volumes!

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

Jonathan N. Little

Dennis wrote:

<snip>
>>Right. But how *should* I upload the folders?
>>

> I don't know anything about Brandyware's FreeFTP but if you can upload a
> folder named 'pages' than you should be able to upload your folder named
> 'webup' with it's contents intact.

I use WS_FTP Pro and maintain several sites for years, they used to have
a LE freeware version that I used for years before that. You can upload
complete dir trees with no problem, even to Earthlink, did it for a
client a while back....

http://www.ftpplanet.com/downloadLE.asp

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

Tony Cooper

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 13:22:25 GMT, "Jonathan N. Little"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Dennis wrote:
>
><snip>
>>>Right. But how *should* I upload the folders?
>>>

>> I don't know anything about Brandyware's FreeFTP but if you can upload a
>> folder named 'pages' than you should be able to upload your folder named
>> 'webup' with it's contents intact.
>>

>I use WS_FTP Pro and maintain several sites for years, they used to have
>a LE freeware version that I used for years before that. You can upload
>complete dir trees with no problem, even to Earthlink, did it for a
>client a while back....
>
>http://www.ftpplanet.com/downloadLE.asp

OK, that did it. I downloaded a trial version of WS_FTP Pro and
uploaded the entire group of files. The links now work perfectly.

Evidently, the problem is with the FreeFTP program. It uploads files
but not folders with the proper linkages. It's a good little free
FTP program for uploading pages and .jpegs, but it has some
limitations.

I'm not sure that I like Adobe Web Gallery, but it became a challenge
to figure out what the problem was. I can't stand unresolved problems
like this. As a....hmmm...."mature"....adult, it bothers me that
teenagers whiz through things that I have trouble figuring out. I'm
determined to prove that I'm as smart as the average 14 year-old even
if it involves going to newsgroups for assistance.

Thanks for your help.

--
Tony Cooper
Orlando FL

Dennis

On 23 Jun 2005 Tony Cooper wrote in alt.html

> I'm
> determined to prove that I'm as smart as the average 14 year-old

Good luck.

--
Dennis