Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Questions: No PHP, but SSI and Scriptlet

Questions: No PHP, but SSI and Scriptlet

Hats

Hi,

I've a site with no php, but ssi and scriptlets do work. I tried these
tags.
<object type="text/x-scriptlet" data="/tools/scriptlet1.html">
</object>
<!--#include file="/tools/include.txt" -->

Well, I'm mainly concerned with compatibility, and also uniform stylability.
The include tag leaves lots of space on left and right sides, even if put in
a div, when styled.The object tag doesn't align center, nor does the width
cooperate. I couldn't get it to align, due to the <!--.

Any experience with such as these? Can an "INCLUDE" be used to insert
html pages? That code in the "OBJECT" tag throws me, "text/x-scriptlet",
that works with an html file. Are OBJECT/SCRIPTLETS Kosher? Is it HTML,
ASP, or what is it? I guess Im mainly concerned with popularity, and
compatibility, more than anything else. Which is most common, popular,
less problematic, universal, useful, versatile, etc.. How would you go
about
inserting an editable seperate footer. Include, object, iframe, or what?

Thanks
Hatz

Toby Inkster

Hats wrote:

> Any experience with such as these? Can an "INCLUDE" be used to insert
> html pages?

Yes.

You will probably find that SSI is the most widely-supported (but least
featureful) method of server-side inclusion.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

Tim

On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 19:36:52 -0500,
"Hats" <(E-Mail Removed)> posted:

> <object type="text/x-scriptlet" data="/tools/scriptlet1.html">
> </object>

If what you're including is actually text/html then that's what the MIME
type should say. Be aware that inserting a full HTML page (i.e. something
with HEAD and BODY) into a page is going to cause problems (you can't have
another head section part way through, nor another body).

--
If you insist on e-mailing me, use the reply-to address (it's real but
temporary). But please reply to the group, like you're supposed to.

This message was sent without a virus, please delete some files yourself.

Spartanicus

"Hats" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

Unnecessary cross posting trimmed.

>How would you go about
>inserting an editable seperate footer. Include, object, iframe, or what?

None of those three.

Using iframe and object opens a separate viewport inside another
document, the embedded html should be a complete html document, not a
code fragment. This separate viewport needs to be given a specific width
and height, this results in scroll bars if the embedded html does not
fit inside the specified size, these scroll bars are a usability
problem. Following links in such embedded html opens inside the separate
viewport, not in the containing document.

Server side inclusion can be used for code fragments, but it throws up
cache issues and needlessly causes server load.

Using S&R or a preprocessor you can replace a common "footer" in all
your documents without any drawbacks.

--
Spartanicus