Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > IF flash installed THEN file.swf ELSE file.jpg

IF flash installed THEN file.swf ELSE file.jpg

Els

SpaceGirl wrote:

> You can write a little JS to trap the Flash version. If they dont have
> js installed either... well you have to add a js trap as well

I think that /is/ the JS trap

--
Els http://locusmeus.com/
- Renato Russo -

Dave Benjamin

diablo wrote:

> Is there a way to check if the user has flash installed so that you can say
> if they have flash then show flash else show jpg

http://blog.deconcept.com/2005/03/31...est-practices/

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, diablo quothed

> Hi
>
> Is there a way to check if the user has flash installed so that you can say
> if they have flash then show flash else show jpg

That's a good question but Flash sucks if you have a slow connection.
I've removed Flash from every computer I've had since 1937.

--
Neredbojias

Travis Newbury

Neredbojias wrote:
> That's a good question but Flash sucks if you have a slow connection.
> I've removed Flash from every computer I've had since 1937.

Na, Flash only sucks on a slow connection if the developer doesn't know
how you create swfs correctly.

--
-=tn=-

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, Travis Newbury quothed

> Neredbojias wrote:
> > That's a good question but Flash sucks if you have a slow connection.
> > I've removed Flash from every computer I've had since 1937.

> Na, Flash only sucks on a slow connection if the developer doesn't know
> how you create swfs correctly.

You may be right but almost all the Flash experiences I've had made me
wait "forever", didn't announced what they were to begin with, and
didn't inquire if I had the necessary software until *after* the damn
thing downloaded first.

--
Neredbojias

Travis Newbury

Neredbojias wrote:
> > Na, Flash only sucks on a slow connection if the developer doesn't know
> > how you create swfs correctly.

> You may be right but almost all the Flash experiences I've had made me
> wait "forever", didn't announced what they were to begin with, and
> didn't inquire if I had the necessary software until *after* the damn
> thing downloaded first.

Most (90%+ from my experience) Flash sucks. Developers don't know how
to optimize tweens, they bloat it with needless imbedded images
(usually because they believe they can only dynamically load jpg's) and
they haven a clue how to use Actionscript to eliminate needless
timelines and frames.

A good sign that your Flash is bloated is when you need a loader.

--
-=tn=-

SpaceGirl

Els wrote:
> SpaceGirl wrote:
>

>>You can write a little JS to trap the Flash version. If they dont have
>>js installed either... well you have to add a js trap as well

> I think that /is/ the JS trap

*I'm* not even sure what I meant when I wrote that now *puzzled*

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

Els

SpaceGirl wrote:

> Els wrote:
>> SpaceGirl wrote:
>>
>>>You can write a little JS to trap the Flash version. If they dont have
>>>js installed either... well you have to add a js trap as well

>> I think that /is/ the JS trap

> *I'm* not even sure what I meant when I wrote that now *puzzled*

<g>

--
Els http://locusmeus.com/
- Renato Russo -

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, Travis Newbury quothed

> A good sign that your Flash is bloated is when you need a loader.

Yes. I like to save my loader for other things and Flash only when
necessary.

--
Neredbojias

Dennis

On 24 Jun 2005 Neredbojias wrote in alt.html

> Yes. I like to save my loader for other things

Like manure?

--
Dennis

else if vs else { if A C++ 8 08-28-2010 08:55 PM
What's the use of the else in try/except/else? kj Python 15 05-23-2009 02:18 AM
for: else: - any practical uses for the else clause? metaperl.etc@gmail.com Python 25 09-30-2006 11:01 PM
If / Then / Else Help Needed - More then one condition possible? tbird2340@gmail.com Javascript 15 09-21-2006 01:27 PM