Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > title in popup

title in popup

meltedown

Why do javascript popups have the url in the title before the title in
the title tags ?

Like if you go to
http://www.enneagraminstitute.com/bo...udiofile=file1

the title says Individual Type Recording

But on this page I have a link to a popup of the very same page:
http:geotonics.com

and the popup has the url in the title instead of just the title

How do I get rid of the url ?

David Dorward

meltedown wrote:

> the title says Individual Type Recording

> But on this page I have a link to a popup of the very same page:
> http:geotonics.com

> and the popup has the url in the title instead of just the title

The title is there, its just after the URL. My guess would be that this is
an anti-pishing security feature of your browser. When I access that page
in Firefox, it behaves as you describe. If I save a local copy and set
location to 1 (so that the address bar is not hidden), then the URL is not
displayed in the window title.

Quite a clever idea I think.

Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

meltedown

David Dorward wrote:
> meltedown wrote:
>

>>the title says Individual Type Recording

>>But on this page I have a link to a popup of the very same page:
>>http:geotonics.com

>>and the popup has the url in the title instead of just the title

> The title is there, its just after the URL. My guess would be that this is
> an anti-pishing security feature of your browser. When I access that page
> in Firefox, it behaves as you describe. If I save a local copy and set
> location to 1 (so that the address bar is not hidden), then the URL is not
> displayed in the window title.
>
> Quite a clever idea I think.

This has the same set up with location=1
http:geotonics.com/index2.php
Not much better because the user still sees the url in the location bar.
The idea is to let people use the popups on other sites and make it look
like thier own, but I guess if the location were entirely hidden it
would encourage popup abuse when the source of the popup didn't grant
rights to the other sites.

I noticed that the popup works on MY IE, and the popup finds the mp3
stream OK, but it doesn't play. It seems to work on other peoples IE so
I think the problem may have something to do with my own IE browser
settings. Any clue what the problem might be ?

David Dorward

meltedown wrote:

>> The title is there, its just after the URL. My guess would be that this
>> is an anti-pishing security feature of your browser.

> This has the same set up with location=1
> http:geotonics.com/index2.php

You keep missing the (required) "//" from your URLs, please don't - it
prevents my newsreader from turning it into a link.

http://geotonics.com/index2.php

> Not much better because the user still sees the url in the location bar.

Shock! Horror! User's can see where they are.

> The idea is to let people use the popups on other sites and make it look
> like thier own

Precisely what I imagine that feature is designed to prevent.

Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

meltedown

David Dorward wrote:
> meltedown wrote:
>

>>>The title is there, its just after the URL. My guess would be that this
>>>is an anti-pishing security feature of your browser.

>>This has the same set up with location=1
>>http:geotonics.com/index2.php

> You keep missing the (required) "//" from your URLs, please don't - it
> prevents my newsreader from turning it into a link.
>
> http://geotonics.com/index2.php

OK sorry.
>>Not much better because the user still sees the url in the location bar.

> Shock! Horror! User's can see where they are.

Ha ha !!1
>>The idea is to let people use the popups on other sites and make it look
>>like thier own

> Precisely what I imagine that feature is designed to prevent.

Oh Yeah, I agree, but in this case the popup is from a website that
wants to make it available for other sites. I guess its not possible

solitaire

meltedown wrote:
> Why do javascript popups have the url in the title before the title in
> the title tags ?

Why are you even _doing_ popups?

I gather you're not bright enough to notice that anyone with a brain is running
a popup _blocker_?

FOAD.