Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Hints for getting around email addrs harvested from web pages?

Hints for getting around email addrs harvested from web pages?

AF

On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 18:17:35 -0700, "(PeteCresswell)" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I foolishly embedded a bunch of "MailTo" links in a high school class reunion
>site.
>
>Now, of course, I'm getting spammed daily to the link's address.
>
>Are there any strategies for avoiding or mitigating this - short of the brute
>force approach of constantly changing the address?
>
>Also, if changing the addr is the only option, is there a workaround for the
>legitimate users who would use it in the future? i.e. some kind of
>forwarding/bounce scheme where the user gets a note telling them what the
>revised address is - but which wouldn't be read by a spam generator?

I too had the same problems you do. Spam blockers give some
protection, but not all.

I tried cgi scripts and php. The problem is that I had to maintain
the scripts and if I made a typo, I had problems.

Finally I found Forms To Go at www.bebosoft.com. Think of it like a
script generator for you. It is a shareware. You can try it for
free, but they ask you pay them $18 if you use it regularly. The $18
is worth it.

Here is why. (be warned though I am not an html expert, so some of
this may not be quite correct.)

1. You can create a form on an html page using just about an means
you want. I have tested Forms to Go with Frontpage, NEtobjects
fusion, and some hand generated html. It worked with all of them.

2. Save the web page to your local computer or a web site.

3. Run Forms To Go and give it the name or location of the web page
with the form.

4. Forms to Go then allows you to fill in some settings, like where
to email to, subject, format of email message.

5. You can pick the output method: php, asp, perl, and it creates the
script for you.

6. Put the script's name in your form actions on the html page

7 Load the script and page to your web site, and you are in business.

No typos in your script, no errors.

It took me longer to type this message then it normally takes for me
to set up a form.

I love it. By the way I have no connection to them, so this is
entirely uncompensated.

Good luck.

5. Finally you have your choice
Best regards,

Al
http://www.affordablefloridainsurance.com
http://www.americanbestmortgages.com

AF

snip

>It took me longer to type this message then it normally takes for me
>to set up a form.
>
>I love it. By the way I have no connection to them, so this is
>entirely uncompensated.
>
>Good luck.
>
>5. Finally you have your choice
>Best regards,

snip

Whoops, I should not have left in the part about

"5. Finally you have your choice " above the signature line

I am late to an appointment and missed that. So please ignore that
line.

Also when I typed "It took me longer to type this message then it
normally takes for me to set up a form." I should have said "set up
the mail feature on the form with Forms To Go."

In my original post, it sounds like Forms To Go helps set up forms
quickly, when in fact you have to have the form already set up.

What I meant to say is that once the form and the html page is done,
then to get it working with email, Forms to Go is quick.

By the way I just realize I forgot one important thing:

Fising you email problem essemntially means you have to have a contact
form on your web page.

You need at least

1. A return email address field, if you are to contact a writer

2. and a body field for the email message.

So this means you have to use forms.

The first time using a form is tedious, but once done it becomes a
snap to set up.

I have redone most of my web sites and the junk mail is going down
significantly.

Again good luck.
Best regards,

Al
http://www.affordablefloridainsurance.com
http://www.americanbestmortgages.com

(PeteCresswell)

Per Toby Inkster:
>Crazy fool!
>
>http://examples.tobyinkster.co.uk/email-hide

Thanks Toby - I'm gonna play around with that.
--
PeteCresswell

N Cook

"N Cook" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:d8u8bm$ce1$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "(PeteCresswell)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I foolishly embedded a bunch of "MailTo" links in a high school class

> reunion
> > site.
> >
> > Now, of course, I'm getting spammed daily to the link's address.
> >
> > Are there any strategies for avoiding or mitigating this - short of the

> brute
> > force approach of constantly changing the address?
> >
> > Also, if changing the addr is the only option, is there a workaround for

> the
> > legitimate users who would use it in the future? i.e. some kind of
> > forwarding/bounce scheme where the user gets a note telling them what

the
> > revised address is - but which wouldn't be read by a spam generator?
> > --
> > PeteCresswell

> I use fudging eg mailto
>
> http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed).u.....k (please remove all 5 dots between the u and k for valid
> email address)
>
> as active HTML and visible text.
>
> AFAIK anyone trying to email to that address as it stands will not even

exit
> their
> email handler as 5 dots in a line is invalid structure, so no one left
> thinking that it is a dead
> email address after it bounces.
> They know from the outset.
> The fudge is on the correct side of the commercial at so
> no wasted checks with valid company designations on right of the @.
> I have used this structure for some years, loose a few people
> with very poor use of English I suppose is the only down side

This thread has reminded me that ages ago I was going to add a small jpg of
my email address as an aid but forgot to do so.