Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Might not be pure HTML but I guess it's part of it...

Might not be pure HTML but I guess it's part of it...

Jean-Louis Crouzet

Hi all,

looks like the right place to drop a question and collect relevant
answer/url. I have dynamic menu thing I've done using PHP/HTML and some
JavaScript based on a MySQL server...well knowing that I started from
scratch two month ago thing goes now the way I was thinking initialy,
BUT I have two questions

1) How could I disable the browser font resizing effect on my table menu
title?

2) How it come that my table/row/cell size differ from Mozilla and MSIE?

Best regards to all,
Jean-Louis

PS: I do have CSS as well and no frame are used so far.

Martin Magnusson

Jean-Louis Crouzet wrote:
> 1) How could I disable the browser font resizing effect on my table menu
> title?

I don't believe you can. You can specify which font size you /want/ the
title to have, but the browser can override it. Some browsers may not
even support different font sizes at all (cell phones and text browsers
and such).

/ martin

Jean-Louis Crouzet

Martin Magnusson wrote:
> Jean-Louis Crouzet wrote:
>
>> 1) How could I disable the browser font resizing effect on my table
>> menu title?

> I don't believe you can. You can specify which font size you /want/ the
> title to have, but the browser can override it. Some browsers may not
> even support different font sizes at all (cell phones and text browsers
> and such).
>
> / martin

Thanks for this answer.

I think it's possible I saw it more than once working at least with MSIE
but true disabled with Netscape or Mozilla. Just see this site and play
with font size setting under MSIE at least this is what I want

http://www.lesjeudis.com/index.html

Have a nice day,
JL

Els

Jean-Louis Crouzet wrote:

> Martin Magnusson wrote:
>> Jean-Louis Crouzet wrote:
>>
>>> 1) How could I disable the browser font resizing effect on my table
>>> menu title?

>> I don't believe you can. You can specify which font size you /want/ the
>> title to have, but the browser can override it. Some browsers may not
>> even support different font sizes at all (cell phones and text browsers
>> and such).

> I think it's possible I saw it more than once working at least with MSIE
> but true disabled with Netscape or Mozilla. Just see this site and play
> with font size setting under MSIE at least this is what I want
>
> http://www.lesjeudis.com/index.html

It's easy to do for IE; just use px for the font-size. Impossible
afaik in Mozilla/Netscape/Firefox.

--
Els http://locusmeus.com/
- Renato Russo -

Jean-Louis Crouzet

Els wrote:
> Jean-Louis Crouzet wrote:
>

>>Martin Magnusson wrote:

>>>I don't believe you can. You can specify which font size you /want/ the
>>>title to have, but the browser can override it. Some browsers may not
>>>even support different font sizes at all (cell phones and text browsers
>>>and such).

>>I think it's possible I saw it more than once working at least with MSIE
>>but true disabled with Netscape or Mozilla. Just see this site and play
>>with font size setting under MSIE at least this is what I want
>>
>>http://www.lesjeudis.com/index.html

> It's easy to do for IE; just use px for the font-size. Impossible
> afaik in Mozilla/Netscape/Firefox.

This looks like a solid answer, thanks. I guess I have to do with it... JL

David Dorward

Els wrote:

> It's easy to do for IE; just use px for the font-size.

Its a very bad idea though. If a user wants to change the font size, then
its probably because they can't read it at the size the author specified!

Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

David Dorward

Jean-Louis Crouzet wrote:

> 1) How could I disable the browser font resizing effect on my table menu
> title?

You can't. Even in IE the user can override your font size selections
(although its a lot of work for the user, and you shouldn't make them jump
through such hoops). Variables font sizes are a fact of life when working
with web media.

Web media is not TV media, nor print media, nor radio media. Embrace the
differences and design to take advantage of the flexibility it provides for
readers.

> 2) How it come that my table/row/cell size differ from Mozilla and MSIE?

Probably because they have different default settings (or you have syntax
errors and are encountering different error recovery systems).

Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

Els

David Dorward wrote:

>> It's easy to do for IE; just use px for the font-size.

> Its a very bad idea though. If a user wants to change the font size, then
> its probably because they can't read it at the size the author specified!

Indeed. I should have mentioned that.

--
Els http://locusmeus.com/
- Renato Russo -

Andy Dingley

On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 17:24:31 +0200, Jean-Louis Crouzet
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>1) How could I disable the browser font resizing effect on my table menu
>title?

You don't. It's a bad idea, don't do it. Read the group for why.

>2) How it come that my table/row/cell size differ from Mozilla and MSIE?

Read the group for why.

"Sizing" in general is one of the half-dozen most popular topics in this
newsgroup.

Si

Jean-Louis Crouzet wrote:

> 1) How could I disable the browser font resizing effect on my table menu
> title?

You can in IE, but not advisable to. Your user may be someone with sight
problems who needs larger text to read properly. You will put this
person off your website. In other browsers, the font is scaled according
to their settings. It is possible for a user to over-ride your fixed
font size in IE, but most people probably don't know how to do this.
It's best to leave things as simple as possible for your viewers.

> 2) How it come that my table/row/cell size differ from Mozilla and MSIE?

This could again be a difference in font size setting between browsers,
hard to tell without a URL to look at. If you are using text within <p>
tags inside table cells, IE produces different results that standards
based browsers.

> PS: I do have CSS as well and no frame are used so far.

Frames and CSS shouldn't have any effect on the output, good you havn't
used frames though.

HTH
Si