Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Image Hotlinking

Image Hotlinking

gcc

I have seen instances where when an image is hot linked a different image
shows up instead of the one that was hotlinked.....I am adding some original
artwork to a site and am interested in learning how to set it up so that if
someone hotlinks one of my images then they don't see that image at all,
instead they get an image of something else, The alternate image would be a
cute little cartoon or something with a Hotlink Caution message....

Damn, did all that make sense...LOL

Suggestion?

Jonathan N. Little

gcc wrote:
> I have seen instances where when an image is hot linked a different image
> shows up instead of the one that was hotlinked.....I am adding some original
> artwork to a site and am interested in learning how to set it up so that if
> someone hotlinks one of my images then they don't see that image at all,
> instead they get an image of something else, The alternate image would be a
> cute little cartoon or something with a Hotlink Caution message....
>
> Damn, did all that make sense...LOL
>
> Suggestion?

Yes, I think you mean prevent another website|domain from displaying
your images on their site via directly linking to it...

Yes, possible if your hosting company allows you to use an .htaccess
file see googled links:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...le&btnG=Search

As an artist, I will remind you that this will not stop someone from
downloading your image and puting a copy on their website!

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

gcc

\
> Yes, I think you mean prevent another website|domain from displaying your
> images on their site via directly linking to it...
>
> Yes, possible if your hosting company allows you to use an .htaccess file
> see googled links:
>
> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...le&btnG=Search
>
> As an artist, I will remind you that this will not stop someone from
> downloading your image and puting a copy on their website

I don't mind if it gets downloaded because the image will be
watermarked....It's a bandwidth issue....

Thanks for the link

Roy Schestowitz

gcc wrote:

> \
>> Yes, I think you mean prevent another website|domain from displaying your
>> images on their site via directly linking to it...
>>
>> Yes, possible if your hosting company allows you to use an .htaccess file
>> see googled links:
>>
>> http://www.google.com/search?hl...
>>
>> As an artist, I will remind you that this will not stop someone from
>> downloading your image and puting a copy on their website

> I don't mind if it gets downloaded because the image will be
> watermarked....It's a bandwidth issue....
>
> Thanks for the link

cPanel has got HotLink protection built-in so it provides you with a
front-end to the .htaccess file.

Roy

Hotlinking to Html pages snorkerz@gmail.com HTML 7 02-17-2006 04:29 PM
Hotlinking problem solved Dark Angel HTML 6 05-04-2004 08:01 PM
.htaccess & Hotlinking Dark Angel HTML 2 05-02-2004 03:09 PM
.htaccess hotlinking help required Tigger HTML 3 01-26-2004 07:40 PM
Hotlinking.. to my pictures. Sandi HTML 6 07-26-2003 08:04 PM

Advertisments