Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > mycursor.cur

mycursor.cur

Joe Mamma

I mde a 16x16 bmp, renamed it to mycursor.cur:
I am testing this:

<head>
</head>
body{
cursor: url(mycursor.cur)
}

cursor test

it does not work, does it go in the <head>? do I have to upload the
mycursor.cur for it to work? Right now it is in the same directory as the
mycursor.htm file.
Thanks for any help!

Disco Octopus

Joe Mamma wrote :

> it does not work, does it go in the <head>?

trust your instincts luke.

i dont know what the ".cur" extension will be treated as by IE, but if
the file is a BMP then leave it as such. I would probably make a .ico
instead though

--
a beef jerky web site : http://www.choicebeefjerky.com.au
not a beef jerky web site : http://mycoolfish.com/vote.cmks

DU

Joe Mamma wrote:
> I mde a 16x16 bmp, renamed it to mycursor.cur:
> I am testing this:

No doctype declaration.

> <head>
> </head>

<title></title> missing.

> body{
> cursor: url(mycursor.cur)
> }

You must provide a default fallback cursor in case your custom one does
not successfully loads. Eg
body{
cursor: url("mycursor.cur"), auto;
}

> cursor test
>
> it does not work, does it go in the <head>?

Yes. A simple markup validation test would have reported this error.

http://validator.w3.org/

do I have to upload the
> mycursor.cur for it to work? Right now it is in the same directory as the
> mycursor.htm file.
> Thanks for any help!

DU
--
The site said to use Internet Explorer 5 or better... so I switched to
Firefox 1.0.4

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Joe Mamma wrote:
> I mde a 16x16 bmp, renamed it to mycursor.cur:

So now you have a bitmap file, with an incorrect extension. You would
need to *convert* the bitmap to a cursor file, using an image editor.

I'd guess that browsers would have the right to refuse to display it.

--
-bts
-This space intentionally left blank.