Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Re: Menu

Reply
Thread Tools

Re: Menu

 
 
Luigi Donatello Asero
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-08-2005
Of course I did not get any real answer about the design of a site map...

--
Luigi ( un italiano che vive in Svezia)
https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv...le-daosta.html








 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Animesh Kumar
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-08-2005
Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
> Of course I did not get any real answer about the design of a site map...
>


sitemap follows after a well laid site.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Luigi Donatello Asero
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-08-2005

"Animesh Kumar" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelandet
news:d85h0l$1n55$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
> > Of course I did not get any real answer about the design of a site

map...
> >

>
> sitemap follows after a well laid site.


Why donīt you simply say that either you do not want to or you cannot give
any advice about the design of a site map?


--
Luigi ( un italiano che vive in Svezia)
https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv...le-daosta.html








 
Reply With Quote
 
Daniel R. Tobias
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-08-2005
Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
> "Animesh Kumar" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelandet
> news:d85h0l$1n55$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
>>
>>>Of course I did not get any real answer about the design of a site

> map...
>
>>sitemap follows after a well laid site.

>
> Why donīt you simply say that either you do not want to or you cannot give
> any advice about the design of a site map?


And the advisors to the captain of the Titanic didn't want to, or
couldn't, give any advice about the arrangement of the deck chairs other
than that if the captain would only concentrate on keeping his ship from
sinking, the chairs would wind up much better arranged than they would
be on the ocean floor after the ship sank.

As the other person said, if you concentrate on getting your site as a
whole structured and arranged in a logical way, then the site map will
follow naturally from this. On the other hand, if you keep a messy,
illogical, inconsistent site as you have now, you, and anybody else who
does as you insist and concentrates narrowly (like a horse wearing
blinders) on the issue of creating a site map for it, will go crazy
trying to come up with anything that is at all sensible. It's difficult
mapping the structure of something that doesn't *have* any structure.

--
== Dan ==
Dan's Mail Format Site: http://mailformat.dan.info/
Dan's Web Tips: http://webtips.dan.info/
Dan's Domain Site: http://domains.dan.info/
 
Reply With Quote
 
Animesh Kumar
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-08-2005
Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:

> "Animesh Kumar" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelandet
> news:d85h0l$1n55$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
>>
>>>Of course I did not get any real answer about the design of a site

>
> map...
>
>>sitemap follows after a well laid site.

>
>
> Why donīt you simply say that either you do not want to or you cannot give
> any advice about the design of a site map?
>
>


I repeat: sitemap follows after a well laid site.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Luigi Donatello Asero
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-08-2005

"Daniel R. Tobias" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelandet
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
> "Animesh Kumar" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelandet
> news:d85h0l$1n55$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
>>
>>>Of course I did not get any real answer about the design of a site

> map...
>
>>sitemap follows after a well laid site.

>
> Why donīt you simply say that either you do not want to or you cannot

give
> any advice about the design of a site map?



>As the other person said, if you concentrate on getting your site as a
>whole structured and arranged in a logical way, then the site map will
>follow naturally from this.


The site has already a structure.
You might not understand it because you cannot speak Swedish and because you
did not visit the whole site.
Of course, it has some occasional mistakes and there are many pages under
construction
but that does not affect the
possibility of creating site map.
On top of this I do not find that it were necessary to think about a certain
website
to give suggestions about how to build a website.
Steve asked about the number of the links that I wanted to have in the site
map and after I said the number he did not write anything about the site map
anyway.
Therefore I am of the opinion that you either do not want or you cannot give
any advice about the design of a site map.
--
Luigi ( un italiano che vive in Svezia)
https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv...le-daosta.html











 
Reply With Quote
 
Luigi Donatello Asero
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-08-2005

"Luigi Donatello Asero" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelandet
news:k_ype.26793$(E-Mail Removed)...


>On top of this I do not find that it were necessary to think about a

certain
>website
> to give suggestions about how to build a website.




That would be valid for a site map as well.
What is wrong with the sign now, by the way?
Shouldnīit be one space after "--"?

--
Luigi ( un italiano che vive in Svezia)
https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv...le-daosta.html





 
Reply With Quote
 
Steve Pugh
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-08-2005
Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:

> Steve asked about the number of the links that I wanted to have in the site
> map and after I said the number he did not write anything about the site map
> anyway.


Like I've got nothing better to do with my time?

50 links is a fine number for a site map. Presumably you know what
categories these links will be grouped together in (this will probably
mirror your site navigation) and there will probably be a few odds and
ends left over that don't fit into any category (links to help, contact
and other such pages).

For the links that fall into categories you'll want one link to the
category home page (this may or may not be marked up as a heading
depending on whether, in your opinion, it is aactually a heading for
the next following list) and then a set of links for the pages within
that category which will be marked up as an unordered list (unless your
content has a linear sturcture in which case an ordered list may be
more appropriate). If you decide to include third level pages in your
site map then use nested lists to mark them up.

Ther odds and ends can be either be marked up the same as the category
links (and here the decision to use headings falls apart as these will
be heading of nothing) or can be marked up as another list, probably
styled to appear slightly differently.

Style all the above with CSS to match the general design of your site.

Unless your link texts are very short you'll probably want place the
various lists in two or three columns. Use common sense and CSS to do
this.

Slap <h1>Site Map</h1> above all this and slot into your standard site
template.

There are a variations on the above but that's the basics.

Any further questions?

Steve

 
Reply With Quote
 
Luigi Donatello Asero
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-08-2005

"Steve Pugh" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelandet
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
>
> > Steve asked about the number of the links that I wanted to have in the

site
> > map and after I said the number he did not write anything about the site

map
> > anyway.

>
> Like I've got nothing better to do with my time?
>
> 50 links is a fine number for a site map. Presumably you know what
> categories these links will be grouped together in (this will probably
> mirror your site navigation) and there will probably be a few odds and
> ends left over that don't fit into any category (links to help, contact
> and other such pages).
>
> For the links that fall into categories you'll want one link to the
> category home page (this may or may not be marked up as a heading
> depending on whether, in your opinion, it is aactually a heading for
> the next following list) and then a set of links for the pages within
> that category which will be marked up as an unordered list (unless your
> content has a linear sturcture in which case an ordered list may be
> more appropriate). If you decide to include third level pages in your
> site map then use nested lists to mark them up.
>
> Ther odds and ends can be either be marked up the same as the category
> links (and here the decision to use headings falls apart as these will
> be heading of nothing) or can be marked up as another list, probably
> styled to appear slightly differently.
>
> Style all the above with CSS to match the general design of your site.
>
> Unless your link texts are very short you'll probably want place the
> various lists in two or three columns. Use common sense and CSS to do
> this.
>
> Slap <h1>Site Map</h1> above all this and slot into your standard site
> template.
>
> There are a variations on the above but that's the basics.
>
> Any further questions?



Thank you for your answer.
I shall look at it more carefully later. But I am under the impression that
it was perhaps the first or the second one in this thread which had much to
do with my original question.
My next question is about how to style css. I have seen that there are some
site maps with nice geometrical forms but I do not know how I could group
several items in a circle or in a ellipse.




--
Luigi ( un italiano che vive in Svezia)
https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv...na-chiessi.php





 
Reply With Quote
 
Oli Filth
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-08-2005
Luigi Donatello Asero said the following on 08/06/2005 17:34:
> My next question is about how to style css. I have seen that there are some
> site maps with nice geometrical forms but I do not know how I could group
> several items in a circle or in a ellipse.
>


position:absolute


--
Oli
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Iterating through all the menu/child items in a menu control Bryan ASP .Net 1 03-01-2006 09:38 AM
only wanna show Sub Menu of root menu mike ASP .Net 2 11-30-2005 10:50 PM
Horizontal Menu and Sub menu in asp.net 2.0 itzikkl ASP .Net 0 03-27-2005 12:50 PM
Menu and sub-menu in asp.net as windows menus made with vb, delphi, etc..? Vilmar ASP .Net 0 05-27-2004 05:52 PM
Jump Menu (DropDown Menu) in ASP.net. Can someone help me out? Miguel Dias Moura ASP .Net 3 04-03-2004 08:17 AM



Advertisments