Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Re: Menu

Re: Menu

Luigi Donatello Asero

See for example:

http://www.google.se/search?hl=sv&q=...sta.html&meta=

--
Luigi ( un italiano che vive in Svezia)
https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv...le-daosta.html

David Dorward

Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:

> See for example:

<snip google URL>

What is this supposed to show? You've failed to quote anything, you've
started a new thread, and I don't read Swedish.

Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

Luigi Donatello Asero

"David Dorward" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelandet
news:d83iai$7vi$1$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
>

> > See for example:

> <snip google URL>
>
> What is this supposed to show? You've failed to quote anything, you've
> started a new thread, and I don't read Swedish.

As you snipped the google URL I cannot answer your question.
But I suppose that it had to do with that https pages can be cached.

--
Luigi ( un italiano che vive in Svezia)
https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv...le-daosta.html

David Dorward

Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:

> As you snipped the google URL I cannot answer your question.

Why not? I left the references header intact and you posted the message in
the first place.

> But I suppose that it had to do with that https pages can be cached.

Why did you feel you needed to make that point?

Caching is an interesting subject. There are basically two reasons why
something may be cached.

1. By a client, so the next time the same user visits the page the data can
be retrieved locally and thus save time and bandwidth.

2. By a proxy in the middle, so that next time a different user of the same
proxy requests the page, it can be retrieved locally (for the same
reasons).

If the page is transmitted over SSL, then it is encrypted between client and
server. As far as I know, any proxy won't get to see the data in clear
text, so it can't cache it for another local user. (I don't know for sure,
and I suppose its possible that the client requests the page from the proxy
using the proxy's encryption key, and then it requests the page from the
server, decrypts it, reencrypes it then sends it back to the user - however
this would require that the proxy be truely trusted, so I doubt that it is
what happens).

Google is an somewhat special case. It caches pages for (I assume) reason 1.
As an additional service it makes its local cache public. This it can do
because it never sends personal data to the server (since GoogleBot doesn't
have any personal data).

Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

Michael Winter

On 07/06/2005 22:26, David Dorward wrote:

[snip]

> As far as I know, any proxy won't get to see the data in clear
> text, so it can't cache it for another local user.

It shouldn't need to see plaintext though, should it? Whether a cache
sends a stored or fresh copy depends upon other information: the
Cache-Control, Expires, Content-Length, ETag, and similar headers.

That said, I'm not totally sure either. Though the above is true for
HTTP, there might be other constraints for HTTPS, and I'm not going to
trawl for specifications now.

[snip]

Mike

--
Michael Winter

Luigi Donatello Asero

"David Dorward" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelandet
news:d853kf$4j0$1$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
>
> > As you snipped the google URL I cannot answer your question.

> Why not? I left the references header intact and you posted the message in
> the first place.
>
> > But I suppose that it had to do with that https pages can be cached.

> Why did you feel you needed to make that point?

Because, as far as I understood, there was someone else in this NG assuming
that a connection over
https would make it more difficult or impossible for search engines to cache
the pages.

> Caching is an interesting subject. There are basically two reasons why
> something may be cached.

Yes, it is.

--
Luigi ( un italiano che vive in Svezia)
https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv...le-daosta.html

David Dorward

Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:

> Because, as far as I understood, there was someone else in this NG
> assuming that a connection over
> https would make it more difficult or impossible for search engines to
> cache the pages.

Is this just a feeling you got? Or did someone actually express that
opinion. If so, why did you start a new thread? For that matter, why not
provide a sensible change of subject?

Obviously search engines can cache pages retrieved over SSL, but I have a
feeling that their point was more related to indexing. (Of course you
didn't quote and you destroyed the references header so ...)

Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

David Dorward

Michael Winter wrote:

> On 07/06/2005 22:26, David Dorward wrote:

>> As far as I know, any proxy won't get to see the data in clear
>> text, so it can't cache it for another local user.

> It shouldn't need to see plaintext though, should it?

Adam requests page from Proxy which gets it from Remote Site.
The data is encrypted using Adam's key.
Bob requests the same page. Bob doesn't have Adam's key. If the Proxy
provided a cached copy of the data it retrieved for Adam, then Bob wouldn't
be able to decrypt it.

Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

Michael Winter

On 08/06/2005 08:24, David Dorward wrote:

> Michael Winter wrote:

[snip]

>> [A proxy] shouldn't need to see plaintext though, should it?

[snip]

> The data is encrypted using Adam's key.

I made the rather fatal mistake of forgetting a fundamental principle:
that data transmission is performed using a negotiated secret key and
symmetrical cipher; the same resource will be encrypted differently for
different people.

*slaps forehead*

OK, I'll be quiet now.

Mike