Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Bullet list query

Reply
Thread Tools

Bullet list query

 
 
KiwiBrian
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-06-2005
If I have a li entry in a ul list and the entry wraps over 3 lines, is there
any way of positioning the bullet to the left of the middle line, instead of
the default position at the left of the top line?
TIA
Brian Tozer


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Spartanicus
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-06-2005
"KiwiBrian" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>If I have a li entry in a ul list and the entry wraps over 3 lines, is there
>any way of positioning the bullet to the left of the middle line, instead of
>the default position at the left of the top line?


No.

You could disable the list marker and use a background image on the list
element instead. This would give you control over the vertical
positioning of the "bullet". Consider however that this wrecks the
normal fall back for situations where the client has images disabled, if
you use a graphic list bullet then a graphical browser will replace the
image with the system generated bullet if images are disabled, this
feature is lost if you use a background image to fake a list marker.

--
Spartanicus
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Animesh Kumar
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-06-2005
Spartanicus wrote:

> "KiwiBrian" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>
>>If I have a li entry in a ul list and the entry wraps over 3 lines, is there
>>any way of positioning the bullet to the left of the middle line, instead of
>>the default position at the left of the top line?

>
>
> No.
>
> You could disable the list marker and use a background image on the list
> element instead. This would give you control over the vertical
> positioning of the "bullet". Consider however that this wrecks the
> normal fall back for situations where the client has images disabled, if
> you use a graphic list bullet then a graphical browser will replace the
> image with the system generated bullet if images are disabled, this
> feature is lost if you use a background image to fake a list marker.
>


With inline-images and "alt" text this seems do-able. Albeit a bit hard.
Isn't it?

Best regards,
Animesh
 
Reply With Quote
 
Spartanicus
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-06-2005
Animesh Kumar <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>>If I have a li entry in a ul list and the entry wraps over 3 lines, is there
>>>any way of positioning the bullet to the left of the middle line, instead of
>>>the default position at the left of the top line?

>>
>> No.
>>
>> You could disable the list marker and use a background image on the list
>> element instead. This would give you control over the vertical
>> positioning of the "bullet". Consider however that this wrecks the
>> normal fall back for situations where the client has images disabled, if
>> you use a graphic list bullet then a graphical browser will replace the
>> image with the system generated bullet if images are disabled, this
>> feature is lost if you use a background image to fake a list marker.

>
>With inline-images and "alt" text this seems do-able.


Nope.

--
Spartanicus
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Multi-line TextBox - Paste text with numbered list, bullet list, tab character tony_csnet@yahoo.com ASP .Net Building Controls 0 11-09-2005 07:04 PM
Circle bullet in Bullet Style Al Camp HTML 24 07-31-2005 02:12 PM
Bullet Lists - but with some white space between items Jordan S ASP .Net 3 12-11-2004 01:28 AM
Easy way to have separate bullet and text color on List? Eric Pinnell HTML 5 02-28-2004 03:31 PM



Advertisments