Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > how to make background audio play in email?

how to make background audio play in email?

Animesh Kumar

kchayka wrote:

> Animesh Kumar wrote:
>
>>What is all this noise about automatically playing emails? It can be
>>very helpful for blind-people (with some assistance),

> Is there some reason you think that blind people don't already use
> assistive technology that reads their email out loud, using settings
> that they prefer (like what voice to use, speed, etc.)? What about those
> that use a braille device instead?
>
> It's just plain rude to automatically play a sound file. Period.

Automatic play is stupid. I agree! But there can be one option to
"recite" the text email. Or even send a "voice email" as bandwidth is
rising.

Look at one more thread where I cite example of someone who does not
likes reading over monitor.

Best

dorayme

> From: kchayka <(E-Mail Removed)>
>
> It's just plain rude to automatically play a sound file. Period.

I agree it can be rude. But the idea of it being plain rude suggests that
there is nothing much else going for it. This might not be the case. Just
sometimes one has to admit that some rude things have style, class and even
so much so that the upfront rudeness is part of it. Personally, I like rude
where I am forced, after an initial irritation, to laugh or be otherwise
impressed. I would be alarmed and annoyed if a clown burst through my open
front door and did a funny. It would be very rude. But if the act was good
and he ****ed off quickly afterwards, I would forgive him.

Bottom line, not "Period". But it better be good and appeal to a fair few
people.

dorayme

("****ed off" is an Australian expression to mean "go", "leave the scene")

dorayme

> From: Animesh Kumar <(E-Mail Removed)>

> kchayka wrote:
>> It's just plain rude to automatically play a sound file. Period.
>>

> Automatic play is stupid. I agree!

kchayka said it was rude. You may be meaning you agree with this and you
also think it stupid.

Well, it may well be both...

dorayme

kchayka

Animesh Kumar wrote:

> Look at one more thread where I cite example of someone who does not
> likes reading over monitor.

If your mother doesn't like reading on screen, she should get a screen
reader. There is no reason to punish everyone else because she doesn't
have one.

Animesh Kumar

kchayka wrote:
> Animesh Kumar wrote:
>
>>Look at one more thread where I cite example of someone who does not
>>likes reading over monitor.

> If your mother doesn't like reading on screen, she should get a screen
> reader. There is no reason to punish everyone else because she doesn't
> have one.

You got me wrong. How about an email reader where you can configure if
you want to "hear" and not "read" an email? I am sure MS OUtlook isn't
that user-friendly, but still! This feature sounds quite useful in
certain cases.

Best

Toby Inkster

Animesh Kumar wrote:

> Oh well, it can be argued this way. But if my email program can play
> (pronounce) the email, I dont need the extra assistance software. It
> could be used for non-blind situations too; for instance, my mother does
> not likes reading things on the monitor.

My dad likes all his e-mail to be sung by John Cleese to the tune of
"Henery the Eighth".

I prefer Drew Barrymore to read my e-mails to me in a little video display
on the corner of my screen. Naked of course.

Could you please include these options in your e-mail too?

So far, we have:

* Normal reading aloud
* Naked Drew Barrymore
* Singing John Cleese

Any other options needed?

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

Els

Toby Inkster wrote:

> Could you please include these options in your e-mail too?
>
> So far, we have:
>
> * Normal reading aloud
> * Naked Drew Barrymore
> * Singing John Cleese
>
> Any other options needed?

I'd like every email to be read in the voice of the writer...

--
Els http://locusmeus.com/
- Renato Russo -

Animesh Kumar

Toby Inkster wrote:
> Animesh Kumar wrote:
>

>>Oh well, it can be argued this way. But if my email program can play
>>(pronounce) the email, I dont need the extra assistance software. It
>>could be used for non-blind situations too; for instance, my mother does
>>not likes reading things on the monitor.

> My dad likes all his e-mail to be sung by John Cleese to the tune of
> "Henery the Eighth".
>
> I prefer Drew Barrymore to read my e-mails to me in a little video display
> on the corner of my screen. Naked of course.
>
> Could you please include these options in your e-mail too?
>
> So far, we have:
>
> * Normal reading aloud
> * Naked Drew Barrymore
> * Singing John Cleese
>
> Any other options needed?

Provided you can customize your email client. I don't think this is
impossible --- there may be copyright issues with John Cleese and such
commercial singers though.

Best

Toby Inkster

Animesh Kumar wrote:

> Provided you can customize your email client. I don't think this is
> impossible --- there may be copyright issues with John Cleese and such
> commercial singers though.

My point exactly -- such features should be done by each user customising
their own e-mail client -- not by you enforcing noises on your recipients.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

Andy Dingley

On Thu, 9 Jun 2005 10:11:41 +0200, Els <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> So far, we have:
>>
>> * Normal reading aloud
>> * Naked Drew Barrymore
>> * Singing John Cleese
>>
>> Any other options needed?

>I'd like every email to be read in the voice of the writer...

But what if Toby only ever gets email from Drew Barrymore
and John Cleese ?

And Miriam Abacha of course. But then we all get email from her. I don't
know where she finds the time.